I've been taking 110 milligrams of methadone a day for 4 years now, and I'm about to get a colonoscopy next month. Is it absolutely necessary that I tell my doctor I'm on methadone before the procedure? I'm afraid that he will treat me differently afterwards. Like a junkie. Any advice would be awesome.

Nobody responded. I had the colonoscopy and I told them everthing about my methadone use. I got advise that basically stated that I don't want to accidentally die, so I told them, and it all went fine. I was worried for nothing. But thanks for everyone's advice. not ...

I am very scared& am on 65 mgs. If anyone can help reassure me, I won't be so scared! TI.A.

I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in 42 hours. I am on a voluntary methadone reduction schedule of 3 mg.s/mo. to wean me off off methadone. My current dose is 53 mg./day. My colon is infected from diverticulitis and I have been managing the pain with ibuprofen for 3 weeks. My daily methadose does nothing for the pain. Because of tolerance, my methadose largely prevents pain meds from working. I feel I will need to be sedated more heavily for the colonoscopy. I know that most doctors will not give me the necessary amount of pain meds because they erroneously believe there is a risk of central nervous system depression, which, according to all research on Google, is unfounded and unsupported by evidence and is a misconception. Is it appropriate for me to demand more sedation from the doctors doing the colonoscopy? I don't want more pain meds anyway, would much prefer more anesthesia of sedation.

I have the same question so at least you helped someone. Hope I can be there for you in the future! Thank you.