I am having a colonoscopy in a week. It will be my first. I finally saw a GI specialist due to my various abdominal and bowel-related symptoms. Since I have recently been told that I have endometriosis and it was seen in my ultrasound by a fertility doctor, I am wondering if my abdominal/rectal issues could be due to endometriosis growing in these areas (I remember reading somthing about thisbeing possible before), and if that is the case, if the colonoscopy will be able to detect it. If anyone knows the answer to this, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I am anxious about this procedure, knowing I won't be fully sedated. How painful is it? Should I ask to be fully sedated? My rectal area is very sensitive right now. I have had a colposcopy with biopsy performed due to an abnormal pap in the past and the doctor told me it wouldn't hurt, but it did hurt a lot. Luckily, the pain didn't last that long since it was a short procedure. I've read than colonscopies last 30-45 minutes. I cannot imagine being in severe pain that long.

Thanks for your help,

Karen

Hi Karen! Endometriosis is lining that attaches itself to the OUTSIDE of organs! So your colonoscopy will NOT show if you have Endo, only a Laproscopy can show were the Endo is? A colonoscopy is NOT a painful procedure, you will be in the fetal position and they they insert a long tube all the way into your colon so they can see the ENTIRE area, IF they see any polyps or anything like that, they remove them then and there! You WILL be sedated, or actually knocked out! They know what they are doing honey so don't worry! The worst part is all the "cleaning out" the system!!! 8-| o.O

I always say that when doctors say "this should just sting, you will feel slight pressure, this wont hurt etc. etc." I think we should be able to hold their testicles and squeeze as much as the "pinch" "sting" "pressure" feels!!! o.O XD XD I call it the alert stages - as in Yellow, Orange, Red

Sting - means your eyes will cross
Pressure - means your legs will cross
No Pain - you will be peeled off the ceiling!!!! XD ;-) ;-)

Ask for an Adavan - if you are REALLY worried about it! It just feels weird that's all honey!

And good luck and health to you, please let me know how you made out OK?

Thanks for the helpful information!

Karen ;-)

Actually Bambi, that is not the case. Recent papers have shown that colonic endometriosis can be detected via a colonoscopy because endo cells not only adhere to the wall of the colon, but can also grow into the wall and can even mimic colon cancer and cause colon obstruction.