I was aware during my colonoscopy and watch the screen and talking to my Dr, although I was slurring pretty badly. I think that they should give me more sedative, I was really upset. I could feel air in my colon. Is colonoscopy awake procedure? I didn’t understand that it is when I agreed.

I am sorry to hear this; it is horrible to have to endure such a procedure. This sounds to me like someone was careless, because from what I‘ve been told the entire thing is painless. My boyfriend said that he felt a little bit of tug here an there. I think that he said he wasn’t completely awake I will need one eventually too so I think I will tell Dr to give me anesthesia.

You shouldn't remember anything. I had one and do not remember a thing after the nurse asked me if I thought the medication was kicking in. They say you are awake and can respond to them but they say, and everyone I know who had one, agrees that they have NO recolection of any of it. Very strange process that I don't understand, but the drugs evidentally kill your memory fo awhile.

i had one today and i was awake and it hurt.

I am expecting to get a colonoscopy soon the doctor told me that he would be giving me a sedative that would make me "comfortable" but won't generally make me fall asleep ive had a few procedures where i was told the same thing, it was enough to put me to sleep, but everyone is different. Im pretty sure their goal is to make you a little loopy to make sure your calm and not fully aware of whats going on, but generally its considered an "awake" procedure.

Did the doctor not give you a local anaesthetic or anything like that? I am a little surprised. Why didn't your doctor do that?

It sounds like you had a sigmoidoscopy (I'm sure I spelled that wrong...) usually you are put completely under for a Colonoscopy... I'm sorry what you went through caused you pain :-(

Hello, this is common for people to remember thier colonoscopy. they give you a benzodyasaphyn. which is basically a IV valum. depending on your tolerance to the medicine it may just make you loopy, most just fall asleep. mine today i remember. i remember feeling the pressure the tugs all of it. If you made it through the procedure without the risk of general anestisa i would say ot was a success

I was under but I woke up moaning because I could feel pressure pain. I am really upset because EVERYONE I know who has had one said that they don't remember anything after being sedated. Maybe some doctors are in a rush because they have other patients. I feel like there is no reason to feel anything and it's up to the doctor how comfortable they want to keep their patients.