Hi everyone,

My grandfather is supposed to have a cardiac MRI procedure done, it is already scheduled to be done next week.

He never really had any problems with his heart so there was never any need for scanning or anything like that really, but now, you know, he is starting to age and his heart is weaker than before.

His doctor told him that he should have cardiac MRI procedure done and he set up a date which is sometime next week. My concern is that I know that there are people who should avoid undergoing this procedure. Do you know who these people are?

Hey Bee,

It is quite simple. Your grandfather can have this procedure done with no problems. You can’t have an MRI scan if you have a pacemaker or defibrillator, inner ear implants or any type of surgical foreign body such as a metal clip in the brain or the eye. The magnet could deactivate the pacemaker or defibrillator and cause anything metal to move.

Regarding what your wrote about your grandpa, it seems to me that he will have no trouble with this procedure. Unless of course, like I already wrote above, he doesn't have some foreign metal object in his body.

Hey Bee,

Guest is right when it comes down to people who shouldn't have cardiac MRI procedure done, and I can assume that your grandpa won't have any trouble with it as well (unless he was in some ex war and has a piece of a shrapnel or anything metal in his body, that wouldn't be good).

One more thing. The procedure involves the injection of a potent dye that has to be excreted by the kidneys so he’ll need a blood test first to check his kidney function. If his kidneys aren’t working well, an MRI scan could cause further damage, but his doctor will explains the risks and benefits for him. On the plus side, there’s no exposure to radiation.

Hi guys,

No, my grandpa was never in a war and he was actually always against war, he was a part of all peaceful protests and stuff like that. And you are both right, he doesn't have any metal foreign things in his body so I guess as well that he can safely undergo this procedure.

Also, I don't recall that he ever had any trouble with his kidneys so that thing is safe, too. Thank you for your replies, this makes me calm now. If anyone has anything else to add please do, I'd like to know all of the possible outcomes.

Good day there everyone.

Even if the cardiac MRI procedure is really good and effective, some people needs to avoid it. Like you already know. I think that you should avoid MRI if you have some metal fragments in your body, because those metal fragments in the eyes can be really dangerous because magnet can move the metal. It is very dangerous because it can cause eye damage or even a blindness.

I was reading recently that people who have a tattoos also should ask their doctors more about it, because I am sure that some metal fragments are inserted in your body when you have a tattoo. I think that you should ask someone who is an expert about this.

Hello everyone. This is the first time that I hear this about tattoos but I can tell you that it makes a sense. I am asking this because I have tattoos all over my body and I am wondering is this means that I am going to have problem if I want to do MRI procedure? I am familiar with who needs to avoid this procedure and in which case, but I never was thinking that tattoo can make such a huge problem for me. So I really want to know did anyone had experience with case like this one?

Hello there. I also do agree that your grandfather can have this procedure without any problems, especially if the story that you are telling is correct. So I think that he is not definitely in that category of the people who can't have this procedure. About this other issue - I do have one small tattoo and this was not problem, at least not for my doctors. But I can't remember did they did anything to cover this tattoo or not. But I didn't have any problems at all. I did the MRI procedure without having any consequences. Good luck. 

Hello friends. I’ve done cardiac MRI procedure. The thing that I liked about this is that it is safe and that during this procedure there is no radiation. And that is why it is safe. About your question – who should avoid this procedure, I have to agree with rest of you in here. But also I need to add on this list that MRI should be avoided in the case of the traumatic injuries. Traction and life – support equipment cannot safely enter the area. The only problem with this MRI is that it can be costly and usually it takes a long time to perform. And yes, they are sensitive to the movement.