Are these supposed to be agonizing? I had IV Demerol, Versed AND Benadryl - screamed in pain. Could adhesions from prior surgeries be the problem? :'(

I too had a colonoscopy that was terribly painful. It was so bad that the doctor couldn't complete it. I was screaming in pain, I was awake and alert. Doctors give you Versad, hoping you won't REMEMBER how much pain you were in, but it's ineffective for a minority of patients. I had this procedure done at what is probably considered the top hospital in Chicago (N.W.) I complained to the director of patient services and received 50% off the procedure. It didn't compensate, but it was better than nothing. I've since read that colonoscopies are generally more painful for women. If you're female, you should ask to have the procedure done using a pediatric scope. I'm still trying to figure out how to have the procedure done again (since it wasn't completed) without undergoing the same awful pain. if anyone has advice, please let others know.

I too had a colonoscopy not long ago.
I will say this. I was told to have Propofol with mine and that I would not feel anything.
I had propofol for an endoscopy first, and if I felt anything I do not remember, I was adequately sedated.
However with the colonoscopy, there were times I was awake and remember moaning and hollering out, and feeling pain.
then I would fall back to sleep.
My guess is that, propofol is probably much better than versed and pain killers. pediatric scope I hear is also better.
however it sometimes does not reach as far as they want to reach.
yes it is more difficult for women to have this, and more painfull, especially if you have had any abdominal surgery or C sections.
I had both my scopes on the same day, colonoscopy folling the endoscopy.
I felt like a horse kicked me for 5 days or so afterward.
they did do biopsies.
I also had the small bowel pill cam.
If FDA ever approves the colon pill cam, I would say that would be the way to go. swallow a capsule and let it take pictures, then you do not have to endure the 7 feet of hose unless they find something.
M
a