I am sure that Methadone can cause disorders in newborn baby if mother uses it. Since I have sister who is pregnant and addicted to this drug, I am so much worried about her. However, when I say her she needs to quit, she told me that is not heroin. Now I would like you to tell us could Methadone cause pregnancy disorders or not. If it does harm her baby, can you tell me what problems we could expect?

Some of drugs such as Methadone can cause a baby to be born too small or to have withdrawal symptoms, birth defects, or learning or behavioral problems. That is confirmed until now, and mothers should stop use any drug while they are pregnant. However, because most pregnant women who use illicit drugs also use alcohol and tobacco, it often is difficult to determine which health problems are caused by a specific illicit drug. Infants born to mothers taking methadone also may show some signs of dependence on the drug. However, they can be safely treated in the nursery and generally do far better than babies born to women who continue to use heroin. About this, your sister is right that Methadone is not as bad as heroin. Anyway, she needs to know it could still harm her baby. Tolerance has developed to most of the acute and sub-acute narcotic affects, but tolerance does not develop to the ability of methadone to prevent the signs and symptoms of narcotic withdrawal. Increased sweating is observed in around 50% of all such patients while constipation, persistent abnormalities in libido and sexual performance. Insomnia was experienced by around 20% of patients that were intrauterine exposed to Methadone.

Hello, I wanted to offer some good news and say that in many, many cases of pregnancy while on methadone especially at a lower dose, can actually prove to be TOTALLY safe for the infant. I just had my daughter while on 80mg of methadone. She experienced NO withdrawl, no other medical difficulites and is just as normal, healthy, playful, smiling baby as another who has not had a single drug while in the womb. Now, I am not saying that this is going to be the case in ALL because that is also proven not to be true. Some women who are on methadone while pregnant have babies that need a little neonatal care to alot of neocare. Everyone's body is different, but I will say that where I am from the women and babies that I have seen have all had the same results as myself. I have yet to meet a mom in person who has had to leave her baby in the hospital for care afterwards. My daughter came home with me after the 48 hour time period required. I am pregnant again, and although I am a little more at ease about this one and methadone, I do know the risks. Therefore, I will stay at the lowest possible as I did last time(the body may require higher doses of methadone because of metabolization issues). My drug screens 1-2months before and even at the time of birth were negative for methadone. My doc says it was because I was not that high and that my body and baby's body was metabolizing the methadone just as soon as it entered us. It was basically in and out although I felt fine and only experienced a minor, small, miniscule, amount of withdrawl if any. Mom is never supposed to go through withdrawl during pregnancy. It is actually better to keep taking the drug than to stop. If you or anyone researches this it will become clear as to why. The baby needs a stable environment whether it be totally absent for drugs, or on methadone. I ablsolutely recommend methadone before any other opiates such as heroin or lortabs or oxys whatever. THere is support systems for methadone moms. Please find one that suits you and your needs. I am sure your sis will be fine as long as she is honest with her caretaker, her family, God above all, and she will be fine if she takes the right vitamins, eats well, and overall just tries to overcome this unfortunate chain of events with addiciton. I know it is hard. I am proof though that not all cases lead to terrible circumstance. I mean, I will try just as hard if not harder this pregnancy to do what is right by baby. Not all pregnancies are the same, so I am not saying I will reap the same results, some of this is in the hands of my Father who is in Heaven. He is the only one you can really trust to carry your sister through this time. Also, being active which increases metabolism can be a good thing as well. If she can still be comfortable while on her dose and stay active to heighten her metabol, then that is very effective. I hope everything will go well. I will pray, and don't worry so much, you cant accomplish anything with worry alone. If you want to make a difference, research, give good advice, help her in areas others will not or cannot. You can be the key to her successful pregancy as well. Letting her relieve stress can help, the less stress the better during this difficult time. She needs to remain focused on her recovery and her unborn child. Wish the both of you all the love and care possible. <<<Meoweoski>>>

hi thank you for making me feel better my daughter had her daughter on 40 mg and had to keep the baby in the hospistal for 3 extra days that was 3 years ago and she is a smart healthy little girl now she just found out she is pregnant again and still on 40 mg so I wont worry so much this time... thank you.

STERMER..... if your sister "quits" as you say, she will most likely miscarry. There is NO CONNECTION WITH METHADONE AND ANY LONG TERM PROBLEMS IN CHILDREN... look it up on a reputable website such as NAMSA