I have been taking methadone now for three years. I just found out i am pregnant. I think i should get off of it slowly while pregnant, so my baby will not withdrawl when born. Is it ok that i am on it. Will it hurt the baby and should i get off it?

if anything to detox while pregnant will hurt or even be fatal to your baby.i found out i was preg w/twins and being a vicodin addict i went to detox only to find out you cant/shouldnt detox while preg and they put me on methadone. i'll tell you that i was on 80mg and my girls had no withdrawals at all.talk to your counsler and they'll explain how harmful it could be.

i am 15 weeks pregnant and have been on methadone for 2 years. The safest thing for you to do is stay on methadone because if you are taken off of it while pregnant you could have a miscarriage. Studies show that methadone does not cause any harm to a fetus and alot of babies dont even show signs of withdrawal after birth however if your baby does the staff at the hospital are fully trained on how to deal with it and your baby will be comfortable. Also breastfeeding is a great way to help your baby with its withdrawal symptoms (if he/she has any at all) because there is a small amount of methadone in breast milk so as you wean your baby from breastfeeding down the road that will wean the baby from methadone :-) so all in all being on methadone while pregnant is SAFE! its the things like smoking, drug use, bad nutrition (that some people associate with methadone) that are harmful. The most dangerous thing for you to do is be withdrawn from your methadone while pregnant, more than likly you will have to have your dose increased during your 2nd or 3rd trimester because by that time your body will have almost 50% more blood than before you were pregnant. After you give birth you will more than likly feel drowsy and feel like your on too much so they will take you back down slowly to your regular dose. Hopefully this has helped reassure you a bit :-) as long as you eat healthy, take your vitamins & your methadone & dont smoke you should be good to go!

I had been doing illegal drugs and decided to go to the methadone clinic (the stupidist decision of my life!) I had been going to the clinic for a few months (and still using dilaudid and crack) when I found out I was pregnant. I wanted to get off the methadone (and of course the other drugs) but the nurses at the clinic said that if I have methadone withdrawals then so would my baby (fetus). They said that I may even need to go up because of my body using up the methadone more quickly while pregnant. Unlike the other drugs, methadone doesn't penetrate the fetus, but the withdrawals put your body through so much stress that a fetus, especially in the first term can't handle it. My daughter is now almost three and she was born without any methadone in her system! Don't worry about it for now. Congratulations!

I detoxed myself from methadone while I was pregnant and my baby was born healthy. I was only on 15mgs though. So I had 9 months to detox. If I was at a higher doseage I wouldn't have done it. Because the detox was so slow, I never experienced any withdrawals.