One of the reasons I'm quitting is because I have lost all motivation in school. It's almost impossible for me to sit down and study, let alone memorize something. Will I have to gain all my work ethics back, or is there a chance it will all come back to me after quitting?

Work ethic is internal. IT comes from personal growth. IF you stop smoking MJ, you will be challenged to grow and see who you really are. IF you quit, you can't take a break...you've got to go all the way. B/c all of your growth will just tumble backwards again. So, if you're ready to move forward and find out, go for it!

Recent studies show you regain your memory and mental cognition.

Subjects that were long-term chronic smokers were tested while still smoking then tested again at regular intervals after quitting. Gradually over time their short-term memory and cognitive skills were comparable to those who did not/never smoked at all or smoked rarely/very little.

That's not to say there may not be some problems associated with chronic use, but after quitting for a period of time, you should be back to the work levels you were at previously.

Motivation is about what ya wanna do. It sounds like you do want to succeed in school, which means yer already motivated, now its time for the action. So I don't necesssarily think the problem is motivation, sounds more like a problem with time management, save the bowl for after the hard days work.

For me, a morning bleezy all I need to get "motivated" for the day.

Quitting marijuana won't affect your motivation at all.
Don't operate on the assumption that you're only lazy because you smoke marijuana -- all credible studies on marijuana and it's users has shown it has no real effect after it stops activating your cannabinoid receptors(about 4-6 hours after use), so unless you're high 24/7, marijuana is not your problem.
Marijuana is actually proven to increase wit as it causes your brain to strengthen connections via activation of the CB1 and CB2 receptors, though too much marijuana will cause these connections to interfere with each other, leading to what is usually a 'just woke up'-esque state for as long as the weed is activating your CB receptors.
Blaming marijuana is in my opinion unhealthy as it would distract you from the possible real reasons of your laziness and lack of motivation, and gives you a convenient excuse on the back of which you can support this behavior.
~ Norlick

i agree.. i used to be a heavy pot smoker.. i got up for work on time, showed up early for work everyday, paid my bills on time, i even proved that for me that light use before and after working out helped muscle growth.. i functioned quite well and led a very regular life.. i actually scored 7 points higher on my IQ test when i smoked before hand.. the one side effect i have noticed that is quite disturbing is a loss of coordination.. over a long period of everyday use it will effect your coordination.. with time and exercise your coordination will return to its previous state or become even better..

I started smoking marijuana when I was 18 years old (heavily). I am now 20. The only time I can remember being clean was for 4 1/2 months (which was straight through, not through out the 2 year period.) I love the blockage of emotions and feelings, and I also love the way it CAN expand your mind and make you see things in a totally other way IF you don't abuse it of course. Unfortunately I DID abuse it and the only thing that happened from that point on was all negative. The only issue I have is not being able to remember things. My short term memory is so horrible that a person can shake my hand and introduce themselves saying what their name is and I won't remember within 4-10 seconds, completely blank and can't remember a damn word they just said.

The real question is, after stopping the marijuana use, were you able to recognize and remember names? If so,then you would be able to vouch that recovery after marijuana abuse is a distinct possibility.

Considering it doesn't cause amotivational syndrome in the first place, you will be lazy if you choose to, as you do now.