Is it true that marijuana effect the amount of muscle you build? I’m trying to gain some muscle and one of my friends told me that marijuana could help but I’m a skeptic. So, if anybody here knows if that is true or not, please let me know.

I really don’t know if it really can help you build some muscle, but stay away from the stuff!!! Even if it does, it ain’t worth it!! Studies have shown that marijuana lowers testosterone levels in men and lower sperm counts possibly resulting in difficulty in having children. It is a drug, you can become addicted, and it has ONLY BAD EFFECTS!!

Short term effects are: sleepiness and increased hunger; difficulty keeping track of time; reduced short-term memory; reduced ability to perform tasks requiring concentration and coordination (e.g. driving a car); increased heart rate; potential cardiac dangers for those with preexisting heart disease; bloodshot eyes; dry mouth and throat; paranoia; hallucinations
Long term effects are: enhanced cancer risk; decrease in testosterone levels in men
increase in testosterone levels in women; diminished or extinguished sexual pleasure; increased risk of infertility in both men and women; addiction; death;

... decrease in testosterone levels in men ... increase in testosterone levels in women

I find that kind of strange.............................Can you explain this to me? But isnt marijuana or "weed" only addicting because of the stuff you can add to it, some weed can have little crack rocks on them which can cause addiction.......

What are you talking about this stuff adding to weed? I have never heard about this before and I used to smoke quite a lot!!! Do you live in the USA? I line in Europe, and I don't know about it, only about different ways of smoking it? Who is putting crack in weed , the users or sellers? Have you ever tried it like that? What was it like?

Community Administrator
Guys, these last two posts are a bit off this topic, which is marijuana and weightlifting, so I would kindly ask you to move your discussion into another forum with a different title. It could be something like marijuana use or abuse or something!

Thanks guys
Best Regards
Your moderator
Billy

Ok, no worries! Bye

What does marijuana do? It rushes endorphans, similar to the way that food, sex, or running over an extended period of time does. If you have ever heard of runners high, it is an unusually high amount of endorphans that your brain is recieving at one time, which causes both a slight disorientation as well as a runners "second breath." A second breath is when a runner with an ample supply of endorphans at a given time get a rush of energy. This can be seen in runners who get a boost at the end of a race, as compared to say the middle of their race where they were tired and physically drained. So, when you smoke marijuana before you go lift you have dramatically increased the endorphans bieng recieved which gives you both an energy boost as well as a strength boost. It also increases your heart rate for a better aerobic lifting workout, as well as increasing you metabolism and therefore helping shed of unwanted fat.
I have only just recently smoked immediatly before my workout, and believe me when i say my normal weight for a straight bar bicep curl is about 110 lbs for 4 reps. When i did it high using 110 lbs i got 8 reps of isolated no swaying curl and 2 m ore forced reps. then i did much much more bicep work don that day, and my muscles swelled,(got a great pump), like never before. please post some comments b/c i honestly believe this, it works well for me!

Well, I don’t know if that is how marijuana works but I do remember that it had the same effect on me when I was smoking earlier.

I would get these crazy ideas on running and would actually enjoy it. I also went to my aerobic class once high on weed. It was great! I could do everything and it was fun!

Anyway, I don’t enjoy it anymore as it started to trip me and I even sometimes have those paranoid episodes, so I don’t use it any more.

I used to know a lot of guys that would smoke weed aftr they worked out to help calm themselves down. These people were real athletes and you never would have known that they did this drug.

Another reason was so that by the time they were home from the gym they were hungry and could eat more of all that bodybuilder meals.

Hmmm, I'm not sure it's a smart idea to smoke weed after hard work. Mainly because your lungs absorb as much oxygen they can and smoke generally destroys lungs.

Be very careful in deciding whether to use marijuana either for social or recreational purposes. If you have a very addictive personality, then refrain from using it because once you use it, and like it...then you are hooked and it will be a crapload harder to keep your addiction in check. I have been smoking for a little over a year now, and in the beginning it was hard not to smoke at least once a day. When you are high everything seems to be infinitely better...even the most miniscule and menial things seem to be amplified by being high. It gets to the point where you will always want to be high, and you'll never want to be sober knowing you can have so much fun being high as a kite (which can lead to major problems if your a teenager who needs to be focusing on his schoolwork). Even mowing the lawn when your blazed is some trippy fun.

I was totally hooked the first time that I worked out high. You seem to be aware of every single muscle fiber working to get the weight up. And as PharmD.gymrat said in his post...you get some pretty wicked a$$ pumps when working out, but i think it's just because your so mentally focused on your body that your mind is numb to what your actually doing (focusing on your muscles working rather than the actual weight at hand). You seem to lose track of time when your lifting weights, especially if you have some badass music to listen to, and before you know it your staring in the mirror an hour and 1/2 later wondering how the hell you got so pumped. I started smoking and lifting-weights-hardcore when I was a senior in HS, i weighed around 138-142 (my wieght would always fluctuate because of school schedule). Today,after my first year of college, (yes this self-proclaimed pothead is going to college with a 3.6 gpa) I weigh a constant 163 lbs.

But back to answering Gaven's question, I believe that smoking marijuana does in fact build muscle because of the increased energy and mental focus(sounds kinda dumb saying that weed puts you into a state of focus...soo let's say "weight lifting trance") and because of the wicked munchies that it induces. You tend to eat A LOT more when your high, so if you work out and eat right then yea you will build muscle. But, in all honesty it's not worth it if you can't control it. So if you have any doubt in your mind that this drug will addict you, then stay away from it. It is addicting, no matter what any potheads protests are that it isn't. Not phsically,but mentally for sure.

My advice,broski, is to stay away from it, put yourself on a strict schedule (weightlifting/dieting) and stick to it like glue, man. I assure you that you will make gains that way. Honestly, I can't lift weights sober anymore, it just isn't the same...which is pretty sad. I have quit smoking and started vaporizing because i realized early on that It just wasn't freakin healthy to smoke everyday before a workout...vaporizing is great (: But enough of my mixed signals for u man, been there done that, stay away from it man. Some can handle/manage it's effects and repercussions better than others, but If you have any doubts then PLEASE stay away from it.

Btw dickinson, don't post on something of which you know nothing of firsthand.

Btw I can't post my pre college 1 rep max's because i never maxed out when I first started lifting hardcore. I can assure you it was not even close to what i can do now.

Note: The only supplement I was taking during this past year was Muscle milk (when i could afford it-which wasn't often considering i work like a fiend to pay rent) and when i couldn't afford it....a sh!tload of Tuna... 32.5 grams of lowfat fishy goodness protien.

(I'm top heavy as u can see)
squat-385
bench-310
D-lift-365
Shoulder press-215 (reps of 6-8, haven't maxed)
Weight-163-165

-TheWiseOne-

You listed death as a long term effect of marijuana use, and its not, nor is there a study to support such a conclusion either. Also, there is no proof that marijuana causes long term infertility. Current studies show that it causes infertility just as long is in the body. Marijuana has not been proven to cause addiction either.

Forget that BS that who ever told you, no one is going to send money on rocks to put in your weed no drug dealer and plus you cant smoke rocks with weed, you need a special pipe to smoke rocks. Weed is addictive because of the high you like it you do it again, its not like cocaine or crystal that you have to have it, its your choice and dont worry hardly people mix sh*t with it. Just because it gets you very high doesnt mean its laced. Just as long as you dont go running around or jumping around at 4 am , than it would be mixed with something.

I would never do it.

Hi everyone im new to this forum and i was reading about this topic.
First i agree dont even try it. It is not good for anyone at all! Second i used to smoke that c**p and every time i did i felt weaker not stronger when i was lifting. Third if you think it makes you get more reps you are wrong! Its all in your head. Have you ever heard of placebo pills that doctors give to their patients? The real pain killer to one person and the fake pain killer to the other person. Even though both peoples headakes went away. Forth you increase your chances of getting hurt! If you tell yourself im going to do thirteen reps you will probably get closer to this goal than smoking pot.