Nate Goodman

Home Studies

Before you start reading I want to inform you that the reason I am doing this is for my own reasons. If you could please read this and respond with any thoughts that may be of interest to someone like me. I am a promoter a user of marijuana but I am open to both sides. I am sorry it is so hard to read but I believe i can get some great feed back from what I have seen in a few of your posts.

The Marijuana Controversy

Marijuana has been used for thousands of years, from medicinal practices all the way to religious or spiritual practices. Smoking marijuana is a very controversial subject. It has not yet been proven that smoking marijuana is truly harmful or not. Scientists as well as average people and other research facilities have varying conclusions on the subject. Can smoking marijuana hurt or help you?

A common myth of smoking marijuana is that it can cause lung cancer. Perhaps people think this, because smoking tobacco cigarettes has been proven to cause cancer. It is also claimed that 1 marijuana cigarette contains the same amount of lung damaging carcinogens as 5 or even 20 tobacco cigarettes. Scientists have stated that long term marijuana smoking can result in the formation of the bullous lung disease. Other scientists say marijuana smoking has the ability to kill damaged cells before they become cancerous.

It is a common belief that smoking marijuana causes permanent mental illness. Past studies have shown that it can cause Psychotic symptoms and even seizures from extremely high dosages. Many say stupidity and mindlessness are a few of the results of smoking marijuana. Is it fact or fiction, that smoking marijuana causes brain damage?

Smoking marijuana has been said to contain both positive and negative qualities. Can one of those negative qualities be, that it damages other organs? Clinical studies and experiments have proven that habitually smoking marijuana can cause a bloated or enflamed colon. Can smoking marijuana possibly be helpful to other organs like your eyes? Studies have proven that smoking marijuana can reduce fluid pressure within the eye that could otherwise cause glaucoma. As of liver and kidney damage, there has been no recordable evidence stating whether or not marijuana smoking will damage them in any way.

Many people both past and present claim that smoking marijuana gives the user severe social and Psychological symptoms. These symptoms may include severe depression, anxiety, anger problems, hallucinations, and extreme psychosis. Does Marijuana smoking really cause these symptoms or are they just false claims?

It has been said that smoking marijuana causes lung damage. Is it fact or fiction that smoking marijuana causes lung cancer? A study presented by the annual American Thoracic Society in San Diego Studies the lives of a few people under the age of 60. Each one was diagnosed with some type of head, neck or lung cancer. They did not find that smoking marijuana throughout their life caused the cancer. The scientists did find that most marijuana smokers smoked at least 2 cigarettes a day as well. In fact, they discovered that marijuana may have the ability to kill damages cells before they become cancerous. (I) Donald P. Tashkin, the Director of the Pulminary function laboratories at the University of California in Los Angeles studied the lungs of marijuana smokers and found genetic markers of lung tumor progression. (IX) The American College of Physicians wrote an article stating habitual marijuana smoking can cause bronchial infections and cell damage in the lungs. (IX) Investigators at the John Hopkins University in Baltimore reported that smoking marijuana over a person’s lifetime can’t cause cancer in the lungs because marijuana has cancer protecting qualities. (X)

The brain is an extremely sensitive computer for a person’s body. Can smoking marijuana damage this one of a kind tool? The professor of Psychiatry and director of the center for Medicinal Cannabis Research Center at the University of California in San Diego performed studies that lasted between 3 months to 13 years on the effects of long term marijuana smoking on the brain. In all, he studied 700 patients who smoked marijuana regularly and 484 non-users. In the study he compared various aspects of brain function including; reaction time, language and motor skills, reasoning ability and the ability to learn new information. The differences overall were very minimal. All of the patients were young adults or of the age 55 and under. They found that marijuana smoking could and most likely would cause brain damage on a younger teenager or child because their nervous system is still forming and they’re brain is still maturing.(XI) Pediatric researchers looked at scans of brains of younger adults and teenagers and found that marijuana interacts with the part of the brain related to memory, decision making, language, and attention. In the scans there were abnormalities in these places in the brain, but it does not directly relate smoking marijuana to these brain abnormalities. (I)

Smoking Marijuana is said to cause lung cancer, stupidity, anger, depression, and even seizures but can it really damage the users organs? A study proven by the (NIDA) showed smoking marijuana increases the heart rate 20 to 100% shortly after smoking. (IV) The Glaucoma Research foundation performed a study on 32 men and women diagnosed with Glaucoma. Half of the patients were prescribed with the hospital medications and the others were given specific dosages of marijuana with each test. This test lasted 3 months and showed that smoking marijuana helps lower intraocular pressure within the eye, but it is not as effective as the hospital medications. (VIII) The workshop on the medical Utility of Marijuana conducted a study on chemo-therapy patients. The test would indicated whether smoking marijuana eases nausea from the chemo therapy. The results of the trial showed that it eased the patients nausea 70 to 100%. At this time, there is no concluding evidence stating that smoking marijuana is dangerous to your organs.

Marijuana smoking over the years has caused diverse symptoms to different people, but can it damage you psychologically? The University of Toronto conducted a study on MS patients that smoke Marijuana compared to the ones that don’t. For this study, researchers interviewed 140 Canadian people with MS. Of those, 10 people had smoked marijuana within the last month and were defined as current marijuana users. The marijuana users were then each matched by age, sex, and the length of time they had MS, and other factors, to four people with MS who did not smoke marijuana. The researchers then evaluated the participants for emotional problems such as depression, anxiety and other psychiatric disorders. They also tested the participants’ thinking skills, speed at processing information, and memory. The study found marijuana smokers performed 50% slower on tests of information processing speed compared to MS patients who did not smoke marijuana.(II) There was also a significant association between smoking marijuana and emotional problems such as depression and anxiety.(I) The Journal of Psychiatric Research concluded that smoking marijuana between the ages 14 and 24 can cause a dependence syndrome (addiction). If they try to stop smoking marijuana later in life they may have heightened anxiety and anger problems. Depression and schizophrenia can be results of smoking marijuana, depending on the user.(XI)The Assistant Professor of Behavioral Sciences at the Community College of Philadelphia, studies people that smoke marijuana to people that don’t and found an increased amount of depression up to four times than that of the non- smokers.(IX)

I have used marijuana before and am currently using it. My first experience was in Jr. High with a friend of mine at a two day concert in Monterey bay. I had found some marijuana of my Dad’s and brought it on the trip planning to smoke it for myself. I had been told by my parents and teachers that drugs are bad but my friend convinced me otherwise. A few of the things I enjoyed were the feelings it gave me of carelessness and another indescribable feeling. It made everything I did, funny and feel good. It made me very hungry and everything I ate was as if I had been hungry for weeks. A few things I did not enjoy were the feelings of dizziness and nausea. It made me very tired and dried my mouth and throat. As the “high” ended, I was left with a minor headache and the want for more.
I do not believe smoking marijuana is truly harmful and there is no conclusive evidence showing it is. Almost everyone has a differing opinion, but no one has an answer to the question, “is smoking marijuana truly harmful to you?”

Sources Cited
I. Sciencedaily.com
II. Drugscience.org
III. International Association for Canabanoid medicines
IV. NIDA
V. Princeton University of Health Services
VI. NIH National Institute of Health
VII. Workshop on the Medical Utility of Marijuana
VIII. Claucoma Research Foundation
IX. ProCon.org
X. NORML.com
XI. WebMD.com
XII. Livestrong.com

Reasearch info you provided is certainly informative, but you also should consider one thing – to understand effects that smoking marijuana might have you have to take into account that there is a good reason why it's considered that marijuana serves as a „starting drug“ leading to more severe addictions. Of course, not for all people, but for a great number of people it definitely does. That's why even if smoking is someday proven to be completely harmless to physical health still remains the problem of teens who start using it under peer pressure. And, as far as harmlessness goes, just ask a number of people here who were using it what difficulties they faced when they tried to stop.

Yes I've seen it to. But I also wasn't saying Its all good for you. I understand that there is a huge amount of variable that we can't see. I didn't research much on addiction or the "gate way" aspect of it mainly because I couldn't find much because pretty much marijuana effects different people......differently.

That is one of the main reasons why marijuana is controlled substance, besides the fact that its one of the "products" that criminals use to earn money in order to finance all kinds of bad things.
I've read something about effects marijuana has on sleep patterns - it totally removes one phase of sleeping and than that causes number of things like headaches and tiredness. That is a major problem for people who stop using it - their brain becomes different.

Ya actually, I use myself almost as an experiment for stuff like this. Most users don't realize but marijuana stops their dream patterns. They may have a normal dream every once in a while but its rare. And when the person quits, most likely they will have dreams come back regularly but they are insane dreams haha. My Dad explained some of his when he "quit" for like 5 months. I wouldn't have wanted to have some of those dreams. But like I said, it effects everyone differently...

Ok, first off yes marijuana is bad for your lungs... But think about it, it's still smoke no matter what is being burned it still is filled with very harmful chemicals. It, however is not bad for you if you were to use a vaporizer or if you were to cook it into a desert such as cookies or the well known weed brownies, this only works if the sweets are cooked using fat or butter because that's the only thing that will absorb the THC without it your stomach will just break it all down and it will never absorb any THC. As of whether or not it causes brain deterioration, the answer is simply no, it does cause some minor changes to the brain WHILE smoking it, but it never does any real permanent damage. And, I definately don't agree and will never agree that marijuana is a gate way too anything but the munchies, every individual makes the choice to do what they want on their own marijuana doesn't immediately make you want to go shoot up or smoke some meth, so if we just made it a part of our everyday life instead of classifying it as a schedule 1 narcotic with heroin and LSD when it has never made me hallucinate and I have smoked too many times too count, kids wouldn't need to think that, hey if marijuana is illegal and it doesn't do much of anything, maybe I should do something harder... For example, when the government outlawed alcohol, America had it's biggest crime sprees in history, once we made it legal again all of that was over because the supply was larger than the demand. Also, if we legalized it and made it a part of our society we wouldn't still have a high demand for it because we would have the supply for it ,therefore it wouldn't be linked to the drug trade like heroin or coccain, which are far worse for you than marijuana and what I as a tax payer would rather be seeing is my money going to better caused like finding the actual drugs that actually hurt people like heroin, coccain, meth, etc... instead of corrupting everyone to think that if we get rid of marijuana, (the plant that causes people to do drugs like heroin according to the DEA) all of our other drugs will just magically subside because people would have never smoked that horrible gateway drug marijuana, which is a f*****g fantasy story if I have eve f*****g heard one and it's ridiculous.

I am not an English major but one of science and math so I will give bullet points instead of a paragraph.

-Carcinogens are created in any (with a few exceptions) combustible material being burned. So whether or not it has the ability to kill  cancer cells in the lungs is irrelevant if it also can create them.

- Carbon Monoxide is the product of incomplete combustion and is present when smoking any substance. Slow trickles of Carbon Monoxide can cause many adverse problem including, nausea, exhaustion, headaches, nerve and brain cell damage, body aches, and shortness of breath.

- THC blocks both CB1 and CB2 receptors in the brain and spinal column sending false messages. This is one factor that leads scientists to believe that THC slows the immune system.

- Researchers at Harvard-affiliated McLean Hospital have shown that those who start using marijuana at a young age are more impaired on tests of cognitive function than those who start smoking at a later age.

- Just like caffeine, (which is not typically considered a drug) the stopping of marijuana use causes withdrawal symptoms for up to 36 days.

Smoking anything is bad for you. Last I read tobacco(cigarette smoking) killed an estimated 443,000 people in 2010.

http://drugwarfacts.org/cms/?q=node/30

(1999 - causes of death - marijuana safety) "Indeed, epidemiological data indicate that in the general population marijuana use is not associated with increased mortality."

(1998 - causes of death - marijuana safety)
"3. The most obvious concern when dealing with drug safety is the possibility of lethal effects. Can the drug cause death?

"4. Nearly all medicines have toxic, potentially lethal effects. But marijuana is not such a substance. There is no record in the extensive medical literature describing a proven, documented cannabis-induced fatality.

"5. This is a remarkable statement. First, the record on marijuana encompasses 5,000 years of human experience. Second, marijuana is now used daily by enormous numbers of people throughout the world. Estimates suggest that from twenty million to fifty million Americans routinely, albeit illegally, smoke marijuana without the benefit of direct medical supervision. Yet, despite this long history of use and the extraordinarily high numbers of social smokers, there are simply no credible medical reports to suggest that consuming marijuana has caused a single death.

"6. By contrast aspirin, a commonly used, over-the-counter medicine, causes hundreds of deaths each year.

"7. Drugs used in medicine are routinely given what is called an LD-50. The LD-50 rating indicates at what dosage fifty percent of test animals receiving a drug will die as a result of drug induced toxicity. A number of researchers have attempted to determine marijuana's LD-50 rating in test animals, without success. Simply stated, researchers have been unable to give animals enough marijuana to induce death.

"8. At present it is estimated that marijuana's LD-50 is around 1:20,000 or 1:40,000. In layman terms this means that in order to induce death a marijuana smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette. NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately .9 grams. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response.

"9. In practical terms, marijuana cannot induce a lethal response as a result of drug-related toxicity."

Source: 
US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration, "In the Matter of Marijuana Rescheduling Petition" (Docket #86-22), September 6, 1988, p. 56-57.

(prisons & drug offenders - statement by former Drug Czar Gen. Barry R. McCaffrey) "We must have law enforcement authorities address the issue because if we do not, prevention, education, and treatment messages will not work very well. But having said that, I also believe that we have created an American gulag."

Source: 
Gen. Barry R. McCaffrey (USA, Ret.), Director, ONDCP, Keynote Address, Opening Plenary Session, National Conference on Drug Abuse Prevention Research, National Institute on Drug Abuse, September 19, 1996, Washington, DC.
http://archives.drugabuse.gov/meetings/CODA/Keynote2.html

With over 66% of city, state, federal jails housing drug offenders, he makes a scary point. The USA has more people in jail than all the counties in the world.

http://actionamerica.org/drugs/wodclock.shtml

Based upon state and federal data for fiscal year 2011, every second that the page is open the Drug War Cost Clock registers another $1,716.77 that is spent by our government each and every second of every day, as a visual reminder of just how much of our money the government is wasting on a Drug War that has only resulted in an increase in the availability of drugs to our children, a significant increase in drug related violence and a severe reduction in our rights.

The Cost of the War on Drugs so far is $3,797,048,669 and rising.

Dear Irishkid:

MARIJUANA DESTROYED MY ONCE LOVING FAMILY.  I used to support legalizing it for medicinal purposes. I have watched my beloved

husband of 26 years suffer increasing Paranoia, Depression, Obessive Compulsive Disorder with Explosive Anger Disorder, Severe Panic Disorder,

Seizures and Severe Bipolar Disorder. He can no longer deal with people normally without exploding into a rage with the slightest provocation. I

have been an RN for 25 years so I feel qualified that my observations are sound. Naturally, like yourself and many that have shared their own

positive and negative experiences, I tried to rationalize that these symptoms were not from the Marijuana. My husband defended smoking it

passionately. He finally quit for almost two years but like all of the users that post their comments, he was drawn back to it. He is now perscribed

Lexapro for Bipolar Disorder, Tegretol for the Seizures and Rages, Klonopin for the Panic Disorder and Lisinopril/Hctz for deadly Hypertension

that pushes his BP to 220/120 during an episode. He often thinks of suicide and has made a few failed attempts because I know he really doesn't

want to die, he is just overwelmed with dread, hopelessness. These meds keep him stable as long as his environment stays peaceful.

Now I am seeing the early signs and symptoms my husband started with 26 years ago in my precious Daughter. I am absolutely heartbroken

because I know that she will not believe she is developing these conditions.  She is convinced her brother and her Dad turned against her.

I fear that she will toss me out of her life next. She is afraid to even return my calls. 

Her brother merely asked her to give him a heads-up so he wouldn't be exposed to it; that was perceived as a threat. Her Dad and I

have stayed neutral as she decided her own brother was no longer part of her life. She won't even step into her own parents home now.

Her Dad and I tried to reassure her that her fears are unfounded but she flew into a "RAGE" insulted her Dad, which threw him into

a"RAGE" (I warned her on the phone her Dad had no Meds that day); he took his Meds, calmed down, and appologized for losing his temper.

She has forbidden her kids (our Grandchildren) to visit our home, breaking everyones' heart, telling them that she is just protecting them. 

I have observed over the past 26 years, every one of our Marijuana smoking friends have been afflicted with some or all of these same

debilitating symptoms even 5 or 10 years after quitting. Marijuana changes brain chemistry resulting in debilitating PERMANENT damage. 

SEE YOU IN THE NURSING HOME, OR THE PSYCH WARD.

I feel sorry for you all. Sounds like there's more drama going on in your family than Marijuana smoking. If your husband has panic anxiety disorder then he should never use any kind of stimulant or Marijuana. I find it suspect that all his symptoms were caused by using marijuana. I'm sure that different people react to all Meds differently. I'm 55yrs old and I've never seen a case like the one described. Though I don't use marijuana myself, I know several people who do and they lead rather ordinary lives.

If I was a part of your family, I would try to get all of us in therapy to resolve our family issues. Is there a church group that you attend that would be of help?

Good luck,
Gary

I realize this is somewhat old but believe it is still something worth coming back to. I like this discussion, however there is something that needs to be taken into consideration. They say that there was a strong correlation between smoking marijuana and depression/anxiety. While this may be true, it may not be true that smoking marijuana caused the depression or anxiety. Perhaps part of the reason they started smoking marijuana was because of depression and anxiety. Just something to think about.

Oh hey guys it's me your memory cells that control emotions and socials effects! I've slowly been pushed over by the growing dopamine cells. Soon I'll just breakout into fits in public as I have minimal control over hormones. Sadly this is the case in most stoners' brains. Though I neglect to mention it, smoking marijuana is not the only successful treatment for ms patients. And additionally marijuana has been in use for thousands of years as anything but a smokable plant. Finally before my long paragraph I'm going to give a word out to my friend Manny. He's from bolivia. For 6 years he worked in marijuana slave labour fields without pay. He was rescued by an American war on drugs marine squad who raided the compound. People like him suffer because you buy the drugs from the dealers who work for the drug lords. So your just funding slave labour for a quick high. Nice work. And let's now go on with the show... To all pot loving 'academics' I have several close friends who did many types of pot. I've seen the effects first hand. Anyway back to the point, almost all forms of cannabis release a chemical called dopamine, which brings pleasure. The maximum a normal person gets is roughly 200 particles released, cannabis gives 400ish. Your body was not meant to handle that. So in exchange your brain starts expanding the dopamine pathways and thus killing braincells. The tube like pathways get thicker to allow more dopamine through. The braincells affected are memory storage and neural responses. The neural responses control things like heart beats and breathing. However this could take years of pot smoking. But it depends on genes generally, and dosage amount. In a summarizing statement almost all forms of cannabis make you feel droopy and happy but eventually fry your brain. So future stoners be warned! PS I know most sympathizers will claim most facts BS, however these were conducted by NATO officials in the 90s...on humans.

The reason weed is controlled is only because it's cheaper to grow and make paper food and clothing out of hemp then wood, cotton and wheat the american founding fathers didn't want to compete with the hemp industry so they outlawed it.

If you want actual facts on marijuana look your information from a country that has legal weed every where not country's that are having a war on drugs, the winners write history if the government wants it to be bad for you it will be if they want it to be safe it will you can buy synthetic drugs over the counter at convenience stores all across USA but not a small amount of weed

This is true.