My best friend developed WPW late in her pregnancy, she is due in May. I am verry worried about her and want to find some answers on how to help. Her OB/GYn sent her to cardiology but the appointment is in June! Please advise ASAP! Thanks!

Wolf Parkinson White is condition that involves episodes of rapid heart rate that are caused by abnormal electrical pathways (circuits) in the heart. This condition has been probably present from the birth, but she just had no symptoms.

Many people are unaware that they suffer from this disorder as no symptoms are often present. However, if WPW is symptomatic, the symptoms include dizziness, palpitations, fainting, lightheadedness, chest pain or problems with breathing.

I suppose your friend doesn’t have any symptoms and is nothing serious since they made an appointment in June! There is nothing you can do, only doctors can run some tests and see if the treatment is necessary and if so, what kind.

Since their doctors reacted that way, I suppose she’s ok for the time being and further testing will show if there’s a possibility of developing symptoms in the future.

Sorry to tell you, but Laylah is completely right. I am 27 years old and 27 weeks pregnant, I didn't know that I had any heart issues at all until my heart decided to go 240 bpm for 45 mins to an hour last weekend. I ended up in the hospital emergency room where they gave me a medicine to basically stop my heart and restart it. (That was creepy feeling). When my heart rate went right back to 215 bpm they were discussing the need to shock me with paddles but told me that they were waiting on labor and delivery to tell them what that might do to my baby. It scared me so bad that I hyper ventilated and apparently that's what got my heart rate back to normal. (Holding your breath can sometimes stop an attack). Anyway, I saw 9 different cardiologists and was told the same thing from all of them, I can take the beta blockers that sometimes work for this but they have absolutely no idea what that would do to a developing baby since no pregnant woman ever wants to do trial testing. They could do a real basic surgery that would zap the pathway closed, but no doctor in his/her right mind would do that on a pregnant lady. So, when I asked all of them what we were going to do, they basically told me they were going to stall. Honestly, that seems like the safest thing for my baby, all of my family and friends are on high alert for another trip to the hospital but so long as I'm monitoring myself, hopefully I won't end up there again. I don't know at this point if I am going to have a vaginal birth or if they are going to chicken out and do c-section, I will find out next week. The whole thing is a little scary, but truthfully, it's not really life threatening, just an annoyance as long as the hospital is not too far. Tell your friend to avoid exercise aside from slowwwwwwww walks and avoid stress, don't get overly excited etc. Opt for the elevator not the stairs kind of thing. And don't worry! It will be over for both of us in May!!! :-)

I have wolff parkinson white and had lots of episodes during my entire pregnancy. Even though it is scary, myself and the baby are ok. I have since had the corrective surgery done and have had no problems since. My daughter is perfect and has had no signs of difficulties resulting from my episodes.

I currently am 25 weeks pregnant and have been living with a serious case of WPW. I take 2 "beta blockers" called Metroprlol 2 times and it seems to keep me on track. I had the so called "simple" surgery that was supposed to correct the wrong pathway in my heart TWICE and both times it didnt cure it. I have troubles from time to time but I know what I am watching for and I think that is the most important thing for baby and I. They said I MAY have troubles during delivery but because there isnt much they can do but monitor it, its my own risk. They DO NOT suggest to any woman to get pregnant while living with WPW because it puts so much stress on you and baby. Just remember to hang in there and to take care! Dont take any risks while carrying baby! Hope all goes well for al mommy's!!! (&& Babies)

I am 28years old and 27+ weeks pregnant and have just been told i have WPW over the weekend, thanks to the palputations of my heart which lead me to A an E. It was very scary, im feeling a little lost as ill be waiting 14 weeks to be seen in cardio and know very little about the condition, and with my due date before my appointment im feeling very nervous,so not feeling very reassured at this point.