I wish mine were. My dad works long weeks at the same job for 35 years, granted he enjoys it, he still says retiring is far off. I tell my folks they're sitting on a gold mine with the acres of land they have in a well developed area, but they won't believe it. Once he does retire, it'll be one big party.

My father died a month after he retired at age 60 my mom has not worked outside the house since the 50's i've been retired for the past year now, my employer just does not know it yet

of course...my dad's 75 8O

They better do whatever they planned very soon before the new people moving into town take a liking to that land and change the zoning to preserve it forever for their viewing pleasure. Zip zop there goes their retirement funding. My retirement was stolen from me by the flatlanders making a zoning change the year before I planned on doing what I needed to my house to get my retirement income. I've seen it happen to many others who owned farm land that was no longer practical to farm but they could make money by selling it off to plant houses on. They held on to a large piece as a retirement investment intending to sell it when they were ready to retire. The flatlanders decided it was such a pretty piece of open space they passed zoning rules to keep it forever open land. That was happening so often there was actually a bill in the state legislature about 20-30 years ago to prevent that from happening. But the people "from away" had a great enough hold on the state they were able to defeat it.

This is why I can't get wring my hands about family property being sold off to developers. This is a pension your dad would not otherwise have, and he's entitled to cash it in as he wishes just like you and I can liquidate our 401Ks when the time comes.

Yep, my dad retired from the ministry about 4 years ago. Still likes to travel a couple times a month and preach around the state.

My mom is also retired and is pretty much a full-time gardener now.

Step-mom is a retired high school teacher. Step-dad is also retired (he worked for the state).

My father is retired...he was the original copdotcom...my mom works for the Post Office and retires next year :D

My dad is talking about retiring in June, he will be 58. I fear this date :| . When my dad has time on his hands I no longer will. I think he is going to work for my step mom and that will be good for him. As long as he doesn't start renovating his house. (I just don't have time for that )

Was he just copdot back before there was a com?

My mom and dad are retired, but after 4 years my dad became so bored he has gone back to work--part time--just for something to do.

HaHa...yeah just copdot or cop...no com in his day :D

My dad retired from his accounting job for UW-Madison a few years ago after 30 years at the job. He works more now than he did then, delivering parts for car dealerships around the area, he also counts money at the Kohl Center and Camp Randall, and he's the accountant for our church. He'll be eligible for retirement again in a few years...

My real mom died back in '86, but my step mom is still working for a health insurance agency. She's quite a few years younger than my dad, but she wishes she could retire now.

My dad sort of semi-retired. He has a photography buisness and still works, but not as hard as he used to. He's going to be 70 this year so it's about time he slowed down.

Both of my parents are still working. Their plan is to retire in 3 years -
Mom will be 65 and Dad will be 68.

Both of my parents retired before they were 50 and came back out or retirement soon after. They run 2 bed and breakfasts now and Dad does some other odd jobs.

yep, dad is 69 yrs old and retired around age 57. mom's retired from occasional jobs here and there. and they are currently down around the gulf of mexico for a couple of months avoiding a lovely ohio winter.