The other day I read a small article in the national daily (The Australian) and discovered that 3-ply toilet tissue is how you know you've made it in life.
I fear I have not made it , making do with 2-ply recycled stuff...

Yet I'm still not convinced and imagine a more definite sign of having made it , is when the maid knocks me up in the morning* with a nice hot cup of tea in a fine china cup and saucer.

Sir Conan Doyle style: Sorry to knock you up Holmes, but Mrs. Hudson just knocked me up......

I take it that getting 'knocked up' means something completely different in Australia than it does in the US. 8O

Hee, hee, hee

Allow me to translate into the typical American version:

"...a more definite sign of having made it is when you knock up the maid and pay her off with a nice hot cup of tea..."

If that's all it takes to pay her off there should be a lot of knocked up maids.

I think "knock you up" in Aussie means something like "Have another AM Tequila Slammer sweetie..." (Actually it means to wake up someone)

I didn't want to give anyone a bum steer...

I've given this whole "made it in life" question some thought -- and I couldn't put a definite material ideal to it. I've always said that I want to "be comfortable." I'm a middle-class American. I'm already freakin' comfortable.

When younger, I thought that having a maid or any other househeld help would be desirable, but, man, I'm hermit-like being that would not appreciate a near-stranger messing about with "my things."

I finally decided: I'd like to be in the position where I could travel anywhere at the "drop of a hat" anytime I like. That would make me queen t**d of poo mountain, in my mind. Thanks to Scaled Composites, I can add "going to outer space" to my list of things that I might be able to accomplish before I die. Of course, when I was a kid, I assumed that space travel would be a given by adulthood. Maybe I can take a "space elevator" ride!

ramble...ramble...ramble...

I had the feeling of "making it" when after a few years out of college and working 3 jobs......I came home to sit on MY couch without any roommates. I was 25 years old and had really never been alone in an apartment or house for more than a few hours. Of course, I met this guy that started hanging around alot and moving a "few" things everytime he came over :x .

I'll probably feel i "made it" when i'm closer to being debt free than i am, and the wedding, my car, my credit car, and....and this might be pushing it...my school loans, paid off.

Ahhh, I see!!!
You need to translate for me, thank you.

I came close. It takes good planning but you still can't account for what your government may do to you. After having everything paid off my retirement was based on the extra income I would have by adding one more apartment in my unused bedrooms now that the kids are grown. When added to my Social Security I would have been on easy street. The year before I was to do that my town changed the zoning so that I can never add the apartment. Now I have a permanent negative cash flow that is slowly eating up my equity in my home and unless I die before I use it all up I will be homeless. A big thank you to all my home town friends and neighbors.

But the most pressing issue here is not the number of ply, but is it over or under?????
And where does one fit "on the back of the toilet" into that equation?
Me? Have I made it? Hell no. But I'm still trying

I don't think I will ever be able to say that I've "made it" because that has such a finality to it.

Made it.

It's done.

The cake is baked and it stands there pristinely glistening.

I like to think that I will be working on and refining the recipe until I run out of the proverbial sugar.

I prefer to think of it as not done living, learning and growing. My definition of having "made it" is when you realize that life is for living. You don't fight it anymore. You don't spend all of your time trying to "make it" because that definition keeps changing. A better car, a bigger house, smarter kidlets, whatever. When you discover that there's more to life than stuff, you've made it.