Hi there! My granny has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. When we were in the hospital I heard the doctor saying that MS is so often misdiagnosed. Why is this so?

MS is a disease of the central nervous system and is presented with variable signs and symptoms. This variability may result in misdiagnosis, unnecessary referrals and misleading information to the patients. I read an article about a team from Israel that did a study on 50 people who had been diagnosed with MS. They wanted to know their experiences on the way to finally diagnosing MS. There it said that on average these people saw 2 specialists before being referred to a neurologist, and waited 3.5 years before being diagnosed with MS, plus they received one or more wrong diagnosis. There was a difference with genders. Men were usually misdiagnosed for orthopedic and women for psychological problems.