I have been getting pins & needles everyday for the last 4 weeks. It first started in just my fingers and feet but now has worsened and is in my legs and arms and hands. I also experience cramps and spasms in these areas and my finger tips inparticular often go numb.
It is painful at times but more than that is the annoyance of it!! It's driving me insane! From my neck down my body often feels achey, like I'm getting a bad cold and have had migraines and dizzy episodes-includig falling over!
The worse thing of it all is when my legs go numb, I can't explain it as I know my legs are there-I can see them and can sort of feel them, but not at the same time!! I realise this doesn't make sense but I can't describe it!
I have an ileostomy due to FAP and have Vitamin B12 injections every 12 weeks and in the past I have had the odd bit of pins and needles which the nurse said was probably because I was due for my injection. But I have never experienced anything like this before and I am scared. If there is anyone out there that can offer any insights or advice I would be immensley grateful. My vision also goes blurred at times. I went to my doctor today who is sending me for blood tests and depending on the results may send me to see a neurologist at the hospital. I also have no energy and am unable to do much. I'm trying to stay positive but it's really hard.

HI, You have just described perfectly my own symptoms that I have had for nearly a year now. I have had blood tests, scans, x rays, consultations with neurologists...and still I have no answers. This does worry me too. If you manage to get anywhere with a diagnosis I would be most happy to hear about it. I live in Spain and have had to pay for all of my scans and consultations but I have now run out of money to investigate further.an

dben wrote:

Hello

Just a though! Do you drink enough milk? As lack of calcium can cause pins and needles and cramps.

Hope it helps.
Mohamed

One of three:

Hypothyroidism
Diabetic Neuropathy
MS

Look here.

I get the same thing when I'm sleeping. I have to be careful when I get up in the night as I'm pretty unsteady on my feet for about a minute. I've told the doctors (2 or 3 of them) about this and they look at me like I'm crazy. None has been able to answer why this happens so I just live with it. I've had it for several years now. There was a time a few years ago where it was so bad that all of my limbs would go completely numb as soon as I laid down (anywhere - on the bed, on the floor, on the couch). Only my head and torso were not numb. Again, no answers from the doctors. Other than the nighttime numbness and tingling, I'm pretty healthy. Although I do take synthroid for hypothyroidism and Ferro Sequel for low iron and a multi-vitamin. But that's it. I'd love to know the cause or cure for this if anyone out there has any answers.

Masage your body parts to help. It always works for me. Just masage it for a while if it doesnt go away, get a chiropractor or go in a sauna or jacuzzi if you have one, hot tub, whirlpool, or just soak in a hot tub of water or shower.
hope I helped

Fornight

o.O so this happened to me for the first time last month. i would start to get numb for a few minutes in my arms and hands but then it would go away. the numbness it like a burnnig icy feeling. it first started a few days before my period. then a few days into my period the numbness occured more often & for longer periods of time. it spread through my arms, legs, back, neck, face, & head. i went to the hospital and they ran several tests, and said i had a low tsh level so they referred me to a normal doctor. my doctor said my hormones were fine and sent me to a neurologist. he sent me to the eye dr. and to the hospital to get more tests done and still no answers. after my period it went away, but now im on my period and its back.. not as much as last time but its very strange. my blood flow isnt heavier than usual so i dont think it could be because of too much blood loss... if anyone has any idea what might be wrong with me or has expirienced any thing like this before, please contact respond!
thanks!

To Guest: RE: strange numbness

This is the first time I'm reading about someone who has a similar situation to me! I also get these symptoms a couple days before my period and few days into my period. I don't actually go numb, but have that uncomfortable tingling feeling, and that icy burning you described. I also have headaches and slight dizziness at these times. It seems to come back every month. I wish there was away to avoid this!

That seems like a very strange sensation for you to deal with. I am sure that you have talked to a physician about it, but the symptoms are very vague so it's often hard to diagnose the issue. I feel for you because I understand it is a very frustrating situation to be in. The best I can do is offer my support and understanding that it's hard to deal with this sort of thing. Have you tried any acupuncture? I have heard that it can help with this, although like I said I am not a doctor. Let us know how things are going with you!

Recently I was hospitalized for ths very reason in May 2009, the diagnosis was Hypocalcemia in other words my body was not producing active vitamin D so the calcium in my body was not being transmitted to my vital organs, thus causing them to shut down and give me that pins and needles feeling. It started in my hands and feet then moved up my legs into the truck of my body and to my face and got so severe that I was almost into cardiac arrest by the time I got to the ER. Have your doctor check you for low calcium and vitamin D. It may be all that you need. I still have problems with pins and needles but they assure me that it will eventually go away if I keep taking calcium with D3 in it. Good luck to all hope this helps.

I have the exact same symptoms that you are having. I also was told that I was B12 deficient. I also had the shot and vitamins. I thought that the problem would go away but it hasn't. In fact, the numbness seems to be lasting longer. I have an appointment with a Neurologist next week. If I find out anything useful, I will email again. Hang in there...hope you are feeling better.

These symptoms sound exactly like what my Mom has. Her right side arms and legs go numb. She says she feels them shake but the shaking can't be seen. She has been taking two neurontins at night and two in the morning and sometimes they work and sometimes they do nothing. She has not been able to drive for 3 months because she doesn't know when her leg is going to go numb/dead. She has had all kinds of tests MRI, MRA, Catscan, ecocardiogram, EEG and nothing shows up. She recently had an episode, fell and fractured her pelvis. She noticed that if she takes the Darvocet they gave her for pain, it relieves the tremors. My Mom has had her thyroid removed last year and the doctor recently stopped her Fosamax so I'm not sure if this could have something to do with it. If anyone has any additional information please let me know. This is so frustrating trying to figure this out.
Thanks
Kathy

katiesblue wrote:

Thanks
Kathy

Hi Kathy, it really breaks my heart rading about this because it sounds like your mom is going through a hard time and I know that you're probably very frustrated. I don't have answers, but I did want to post to support and hope that you're doing well. I know someone will come along and post something to help out but in the meantime, be strong like you are and post any questions you have, okay? Good luck to you.

I have just one word to say to all of you

ASPARTAME

Check everything for this--that is everything you eat, everything you drink and all medication you take.

Eliminate it from your diet and you will recover.

Not sure if this will help you but it did help me for many years. It all started wiith pain down the back of my neck, then spread to my shoulder. The pain was quite bad and gave me headache for quite a few days. The pain went down my right hand and later I could not use it. Doctors could find the problem and sent me for blood test. Everything was ok but they said cholesterol was high. Gave me statin. I was reluctant to take it because of the side-effects. A friend suggested I tried ginger juice extracted. I did that for 2 months, got my church to pray for me and also physio for my fingers. By the 3rd month, my fingers were stronger and thank God, I was/am healed. I believe in the power of prayer and be sensible.