I am 14 and was born with eczema but it didn't show until I was around 1. The doctors said it will go away just before I reach my teenage life. However, it seems that the older I get, it becomes worse. It spreads behind my knees. Very embrassing because when I go out, people keep staring on my leg. Please help? I really need a good product that doesn’t just work for a month. Thanks.

Hi-

Eczema is just not fun, I lived with it for most of my adult life. And yes it made me very self conscious about my appearance and it was just uncomfortable. I would strongly recommend going to see a dermatologist if you haven't already. I went years thinking that eczema was what I had because a Dr had told me at at quick care. Finally (in my 30's) went to a dermatologist and found out I had a combination of problems which explained why nothing over the counter would work for me. However, what I can recommend is some products that I use that really help. You need to get some gentle cleansers and lotions that do not contain Lanolin and no perfumes. There are several brands on the market. Basis soap is ok but Cetaphil is my absolute favorite. My main problem is on my face, so I use the Cetaphil liquid face cleaner and I love it. Lotion the absolute best is called Vanicream, I learned about it from my Dr and you can get it at the pharmacy, no prescription is needed. Its actually reasonably price, its thicker, gentle and not greasy. I am sorry, I can't tell much by your identifier, but if you are female and wearing make up then I am going to suggest mineral make up. I went years being told I couldn't wear make up at all and when I attempted it my rash would go extremely red,scaly and itchy. Mineral makeup will not clog your pores and since I started wearing it, a lot of my problems went away and it also will help cover what you don't want anyone to see if you are having issues on your face. I wear Bare minerals. It is more expensive but worth it. Articles I have read in regards to break out always said to take benadryl (which makes me incredible nervous) or you can get some hydrocortizone cream to put on breakouts. Honestly, nothing like that worked for me. My Dr has me on antibiotics and also a gel that is has no steroids in it. The stuff is magic, I can put that on a break out and its gone in minutes. You may or may not grow out of it. Hopefully you do. I didn't develop it til I was an adult. But I can tell you that once we figured out what the right combination of treatment was needed, it was like night and day. I no longer have the rash breakouts, my skin is clear. And I know that if I do have a break out--I can manage it quickly and no one will ever have to know. Being a teen is hard enough, and trust me I understand completely what you are going through. Just don't let it get you down and talk to your parents about it. And honestly the medicine that I take....last a really really long time and is cheap. I pay maybe $12 for the antibiotics which last 3 months and my gel last me 6 months and I paid like $4 for it. Seriously, talk to your parents about taking you to a dermatologist. I was miserable, embarrassed, and self conscious about my skin for 10 years and it kept me from doing so much because I was so worried about the breakouts and not to mention the itching and burning rashes that I thought everyone was staring at (they really weren't). Its not worth it when you don't have to live like that. Good luck with everything and let me know it turns out for you. Also here is some sites you can look at for some information if you haven't seen them before..

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Addisonia, thanks for telling us a lot about having eczema. I was not aware of what you had to go through so your post was very informative. Thanks for telling me so much about it. Thanks again!