My daughter is four and her left nipple is red and sore. I can't seem to find anything on this, any ideas?

You didn’t mention if your child had any other skin problems ie on other body parts.
Why don’t you take her to a dermatologist to see if this could be a eczema or nipple dermatitis or maybe some sort of fungal or bacterial infection.

Eczema of the nipple usually occurs in women who already have a history of eczema on other parts of the body. The nipple become dry, sensitive and may burn and itch.

A doctor may be able to determine if this is dermatitis or not and what it could be. That way you will know what to use and what to avoid in order to get rid of the discomfort.

Eczema can be brought on by an irritant or allergen and you should choose cotton cloths as other fabrics may trouble the skin, you may use lubricants after bath and avoid overheating.
You would get the best info from the doc after an exam.

Perhaps it is her clothing? Alot of athletes run into chafing problems. Also, try useing a clothing detergent that has no dyes or fragrance.

i dont know about any dema whatever but all i know is u should take her to a doctor. It could be a rash like apendesis or whatever cant spell it right ... but umm yeah u know take her to a doctor get some treatment of that.

I was woundering if you had found anything that was wrong with you daughter. My 6yr old seems to have the same problem and states that it hurts when the warm water from the shower hit it?

any suggestions?

Am wondering if you have found out anything on this. 8 months ago, when my daughter was 5 years old, she complained of pain in her nipple. It was red, and swollen, and when I felt it I could feel a "pea" in it; which moved. It was painful for it to be touched. I took her to the doctor, and the doctor told me that she thinks it is a "breast bud". According to my doc, when girls get breast buds - 3 years later they get their breasts!!! Of course I was NOT happy with this. I have 4 sisters and NONE of us went through puberty before the age of 14. This doctor told me that my daughter would probably go through puberty at age 8! I wanted a 2nd opinion. Unfortunatley it was a military doctor, and I had to go through red tape to get to see a 2nd doctor. The first thing the 2nd doctor said to me was, "Now why do you want a 2nd opinion from what Sargent ** said?" This new doc was lower ranking and agreed with the first doc. I wanted a simple blood test done to rule out cancer, b/c I researched this- and some girls & BOYS can get breast cancer. (My father, grandparents, and 2 aunt/uncle have died from cancer-different kinds) The 1st and 2nd doc refused to do this and said that it was "probably" breast buds. My daughters nipple went down and didn't hurt anymore nor could I feel anything in it, so I never paid out of pocket to take her to a civilian doc. Now tonight she told me it hurts and all 3 symptoms are there again! We are in Japan now, so she has a new military doctor. I am taking her Friday to see him. I am bothered because I dont know what is wrong. Also I don't know if it is a coincidence or what but hers is the left nipple as well. I can be emailed at _[removed]_ Thank you!

I was wondering if anyone figured out the young ones red & swore nipple problem. I have a 4 year old and her nipples get really red and hurts her alot. It doesn't stay that way all the time just comes and goes. I have used all the same soaps, laundry det. & lotions for the past two years. I am really sure what is causeing this OR is it just something that little girls go through when growing up. Anyone have any info. on this???? Worried mother! :-(

My 5 year old daughter is complaining of the same thing today and it is EASTER of all days. I don't want to call the Dr on Easter so can anyone tell me if anything helped with the pain or not? It is the same way you all describe and her left nipple also. I does feel like a tiny sunflower seed (w/out the shell) inside, and her right nipple is sore but not as bad as the left. I did not feel anything in the right nipple, just the left.

My 4 year old daughter has the same symtoms of sore nipples since yday and it hurts when warm water touches it.

Well, I am on the web searching about the same concern. My 5 and 1/2 yr old just noticed this a few days ago while we were horseplaying and she thought she got it from hitting herself somewhere.

I did find these two wonderful sites which makes me think that its just a growing up thing which can start earlier than usual for some girls as well as later than usual for some.

I am having the same problem (red sore nipples) with my 4 and a half yr old, but he is male. Did anyone find anything out?

I have a similar situation with my 8 year old daughter. She's complaining of her nipples hurting. Is there something that can be done for the pain? It's so hard to find information on this.

I know these post were a few years ago, but it could be possible that it could be someone molesting your child.  I had this problem around six years old and was a victim of sex abuse.  This may sound horrible, but come to find out that my father, who did this to me among other things, had some kind of obsession for breast, be it child or adult.  Hope this helps and also hope it is not the case.  Lisa

wow i had the same problem! thanks for helping me  :-D

Hi, I know you wrote this post one year ago on Easter, but today., Easter 2014, my daughter who is going to be 5 in June, started complaining tonight that her nipples were stinging/hurting and bright, bright red. I just found it ironic that when I looked it up on google, I came to your reply to the other mother, and its Easter too... I was wondering if you found out what was wrong with your daughter,,, was it something from the Candy, or something she ate? If you could let me know what your daughter had, or if it just went away or not.,, that would ease me for the night, until the morning when I can get my daughter to the DR,,,,
Happy Easter ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use