A couple of weeks ago I noticed his right testicle swollen and black and blue. The "ball" inside seemed to be floating up higher. He doesn't seem to have pain, but this is a big concern for us. We took him to the emergency room to check for torsion, and they did an ultra sound and said that he is getting blood to his testicles and just told us to watch them. In a few days we took him to regular doctor for check up and his testicle appeared normal. The doctor was equally puzzled about the condition and thought child maybe had fluid build-up in the 7 layers of skin around the testicle but the emergency room ultra sound had ruled that out too. We were given no meds for the baby and no suggestions, but the problem has reoccurred again tonight and this can't be good. I babysit for him part of the day and his father does the rest, and we don't know of any trauma....though he is an active little boy who likes to bounce on his rocking pony etc. This just started and continues off and on since about two weeks ago. We need some advice to help the doctors look a little harder. They were quick to do the ultra sound, but after that seemed to be OK, they just left us up in the air. This can't be good. Thank you so much. ...a concerned grandma.

Sounds like a real problem. I am studying medicine and my mum is a nurse and neither of us have ever seen this before. If I see something in one of my books I'll let you know. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

my 3 year old son had swollen and black in blue testicle, i never took him to the doctor because it went away in 3 days, but its back and its bigger this time, he feels no pain but I'am scared that some things wrong, I'am taking him to see his doctor tomorrow.. what is happening??? if I find some thing out i'll let you know!!! thank you for your time and god bless!!!!

We noticed the same symptoms in my son, age 13 months, over holiday vacation, although I don't think his symptoms were as severe. He had one swollen scrotal sack that had a noticable blue tinge. The testicle itself appeared normal, and the other side was normal, too. We never went to a doctor for it, and in a couple days things were back to normal. A few days later, it recurred but was much less severe. I'm hunting now on the internet for possible reasons.

GENERALLY SWOLLEN TESTICLES ARE DUE TO INGUINAL HERNIAS. WHAT HAPPENS IS FLUID FROM THE ABDOMINAL CAVITY LEAKS INTO THE SCROTAL SAC BECAUSE THERE IS A HERNIA. THE FLUID COMES AND GOES BECAUSE IT IS POSITIONAL. IF THE CHILD IS LYING DOWN THE FLUID WILL DECREASE. I CAN'T REMEMBER THE CUT OFF AGE BUT IF THE HERNIA DOESN'T HEAL ITSELF BY A CERTAIN AGE THEN A SURGICAL INTERVENTION MAY BE NECESSARY. MY SON ACTUALLY HAD THIS CONDITION AND AFTER A SMALL SURGERY IT IS HEALED. I DO RECOMMEND DOING THE SURGERY EARLY IN THEIR LIFE AS BOYS BECOME MORE EMBARASED AND PROTECTIVE OF THEIR PRIVATE AREAS WITH AGE. MY SON WAS SO EMBARASED OF HIS "BIG BALL" THAT HE WOULD NOT PEE IN SCHOOL UNLESS THE BATHROOM WERE EMPTY. HE IS PROUD THAT HE HAD THAT SURGERY. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS. THE PROCEDURE REALLY IS SIMPLE. JUST HUNT FOR A GOOD DOCTOR.

Great post. Thanks. This describes my son's condition. Last night I noticed that one of his testiticals were swollen to the size of a walnut. This morning my husband said the swelling had gone away. Great, but the mom in me said "hmm that's strange". I bet if we check later he may be swollen again. Does a hernia occur from one intance alone? I remember my husband brought home new sand for the sand box and our son was atttempting to lift the bags. That was Thursday and I noticed the swelling already on Friday. Are hernias hereditary? I only ask because my husband had one when he was a boy.

My 16 year old has really small testicles and the left one sometimes looks like it disappears

While bathing my 7 year old tonight I found the same thing. His Left testicle is purple like a horrible bruise. He says no one has hit him or kicked him. Ive raised 2 other boys and never seen such a thing.

Any word on your son?

Was his penis hard by any chance? You seem to check it often???