My 8, almost 9 year old, was completely potty trained at the age of 2. Around the age 9f 4, he started having trouble with wetting the bed. This was somewhat alarming, but I also knew that bedwetting in boys is fairly common at young ages (his father was a bedwetter too). The concern arose when he started school and we realized that he was having to use the bathroom a lot more than normal children and if he was delayed in going to the bathroom, would wet himself. During his first grade year, he had several episodes where he fainted or had extreme dizzy spells. After appointments with pediatricians, nurologists, and finally a cardiologist, they discovered that his spells occurred when he had a drop in heart rate. The cardiologist suggested that this could be caused by a depletion of fluid in his cells. This was probably caused by the fact that we had restricted fluid intake in the evenings to combat the wetting problems. The cure for the fainting spells was an increase in fluid. This in turn, increased the wetting problems. Luckily, he has had teachers that have been understanding and allow him to go the bathroom whenever necessary. We decided to seek the help of urologist. They have done blood work, urinalysis, ultrasound, xrays, catscans, and even a test where they inserted a catheter and then filled his bladder with fluid and took xray pictures as he voided. So far nothing has shown up. The only indication we got with anything was an xray that showed more stool then normal in the intestines which they said could cause pressure on the bladder. We stayed on stool softners for almost 6 months without much noticeable difference in his urinating habits. Does anyone have any suggestions or things you would recommend for us to question the doctor about? I am about out of ideas.

I hope your son is better. I know your post was a year ago, but I am researching this issue now for my 9 year old son. He is having accidents at school and says he doesn't feel his bladder when it's full. He only notices after he's had an accident. A urinalysis was normal, but it looks like we'll be doing more tests. He has no other symptoms. Did you find any treatments that worked for you and your son that I should investigate? Thanks for your time.

that is weird i have an 8 yr old and he just had the same thing happen to him today? I asked him y he didnt ask me when we were just in taco bell and he said he didnt have to go...i asked him why he peed his pants he said he didnt know where the bathroom was and he tried to hold it? this weird cause this is not like him has your son been checked for diabetes?