Dr. Red?

Well its been since May of 2009 since my first Hemorrhoidectomy, then my 2 fissurectomys, and the botox on the fissure and yes I am still having some problems... It was a few days ago and I tore again (well I had the 3rd fissure) but I thought it was healing on its own... I guessed wrong! I'm feeling ok today and yesterday though... But just to let people know, its been a year and almost 4 months, so sometimes, people's body never really completely heal from something like this. :-( ... I now have some female issues going on which I'm sure you don't want to hear about... 8-| . I made a post in the female section but have not heard anything yet? I sure hope you are doing ok though???? Just promised I keep you updated, so thats what I'm doing..... Hugs to you.... ;-)

My story isnt so great! but im gonna tell it because you never know when something will "go wrong"!
i had my hemorrhoidectomy on may 6th! it was an emergency surgery, not planned! BUT i was told it wasnt gonna be to bad!
i went in first thing in the morning, had the surgery! i ended up staying in the hospital for 3 days because something went wrong!
the first day, i felt like dying! they have your stomach pumped full of gas to be able to do the surgery, but they put a packing in when theyre done..not allowing your to release any gas or making it impossible to have BMs!
the second day the surgeon came in and literally held me down to pull the packing out! which caused a fissure!
the third day, i thought i was dying! NO JOKE!
i went home, took my medicines as prescribed, but it was completly horrible still! i couldnt ever get comfortable, could hardly walk, didnt have a BM for 10 days!when i did it was the worst pain i ever felt! ever! it was so hard just to barely be able to push because of the surgery down there puts lots of strain on your muscles it takes a while for them to work right again!
my stitches took forever to fall out! and that was pain all in itself because when the last one finally did, i was still tore open!
so i was bleeding for weeks and weeks!
it has been four months and im not completely healed! and worst of all, i have another prolapse coming out the left side, complete opposite side of the surgery! everything seemed to go wrong! so now im still dealing with the consequences of the first surgery, and dreading ever going to get my next! i would definately rethink your options because if i could go back, i would have never had the surgery! hope this helps some people!

India,

I'm soooo sorry you had to go through all this! I don't know if you had the time to read all my messages, but I've been through a lot as well... (NOT GOOD)... :'( Although my surgery was not a emergency surgery, I could not walk anymore because of the large external and I had internal hemis as well... I had a colonoscopy the day before my hemorrhoidectomy which was also in May but this was May of 2009, and yes I'm still having issues.... I have had 2 more surgeries on my 2 different fissures since then and I had botox injection on my fissure as well (DONT do this)! It was human torture for me and it did not work! I now have another fissure but I'm not having anymore sugeries on my butt for awhile, I also have new hemis and a blood clot, but I did not have the prolapse like you had... I as well did not have a BM for 10 days, my stomach was so distended and this is when I tore the first time (fissure), this was 5 weeks after my hemorrhoidectomy... It was awful.... Worse than my 3 childbirths.... So I do feel your pain sweetie... Just please take it easy and DONT lift anything heavy... Even a gallon of milk hurt me.... Like I said, I'm a year and 4 months out and I am better, but not completely healed. I guess our bodies just heal a lot slower than other peoples do... You seem to have a whole lot more dangerous things that you have dealt with than I did... I will pray for you! I am having a surgery on next Monday (Sept. 20th) but its for a endometrial ablation (Hydro ThermAblator), so this will be on my female parts and its not supposed to be as invasive as a hysterectomy.... I can't heal from a major surgery again... NO WAY... I have 3 little kids to take care of and my husband is working in a different state right now, so I'm trying to do the easier surgery first, hopefully it works, but knowing my luck, I'll have my own issues... LOL.... I'm really glad you responded because you need to know that "you are not alone"... If you ever have any questions, shout out and feel free to ask any of us on here... Bambi27 is very good with responding back and so is Dark Red.. There are others, but these are basically the two people who helped me through all this misery... Well of course God! Lots of Hugs to you... and I truly hope you get well soon... Keep us all updated... OK? :-D

Hi India! First BIG HUGS! 2nd I am TOTALLY disgusted that they didn't have you take a BM before you left! As any of us - who have had rectum or vaginal trauma - know, they HAVE to be able to see how you are healing, so most times they will give you senacot, or milk of magnesia etc, to help you have a small somewhat soft BM! The compaction of waiting 10 days would be INCREDIBLE! And not to mention the nerves that come with that - as you know when you are in pain, you become nervous, tighten up and it's harder! I hope they gave you the techniques to have the best BM that you can! Big Toe over other BIG toe heels as wide as possible, elbows on knees, gently forward, breathing exericises, rinses - either sitz bath or squirt bottle etc. IF not ask away and I will help you with that OK?

Also some on here have been told NOT to squirt and use Hydrogen Peroxide, some have, what were you told? Have you started taking Omega oils - to help with the stool softness? Another thing is do you have a body pillow to sleep with - and to put your leg up on to at night! The thing you have to keep in mind the most is to get pressure of that rectum - this is where the blood engorgement and hemorroids come from! What did they tell you to do?

okay, ill explain a little of it! on my birthday, may 2nd of this year, my son was climbing on a 50 lb. box which almost fell on him, had it not been for me picking it up as quickly as i could..i felt like i got shot, but nothing was down there! hours later i felt that pain again and looked and it was the size of a kiwi ( i guess would be the best comparison) it was huge, and purple and bleeding out from stretching so much! i went to the E.R and they just cut it open and drained it! horrible pain! I went back home and hours later it was back and more painful than ever! i went back again for them to just cut it open a second time and actually take scissors and cut a hole OUT of the 'hemorrhoid'! it wasnt until 4 days later the surgeon seen it and told me, surgery ASAP! she let me go home to sleep and i had to be back first thing in the morning! -granted i DONT have regular BM's and hadnt had one in about 5 days prior!
they did the surgery! i woke up, my stomach was so swollen! i had the packing in, and she actually told me it would Come Out with my first bowel movement! i got to where i couldnt MOVE at all because i couldnt release any of the gas! she had me on powdered stool softener causing lots of gas anyways! Another surgeon came in and asked about my BM's and i said "how am i suppost to have a BM with this in me? i cant even fart" thats exactly what i said because i was so upset! he literally HELD me down and pulled a foot of packing out of me! i blead and was in horrible pain! i was in the hospital for 3 nights after and never once had a BM! they sent me home like that! so for 10 days after the surgery and taking stool softeners and everything, i finally did! it was the WORST pain i have ever felt! and i also ripped stitches! LOTS! but they told me it was OK! it got to where the stool softeners wasnt working because of all the pain meds i had to take because of the pain! they wouldnt do much to help after that! this is DISGUISTING, but i literally had to sit on the toilet, put lube on my fingers over the glove, and dig out my own stool!! i cant believe im admitting this because its that bad, but NOTHING or NOONE was helping me at all! i wish i would have had a different surgeon! she didnt care! i prolapsed on the complete opposite section of the surgery i had! all they do for me now is told me to QUIT SMOKING, and take my stool softeners! they REFUSED to do another surgery because i have hopes for a child! so now, every time i go to the bathroom, i have this HUGE kiwi looking thing come out! it is absolutely horrible and i wish the next surgeon wasnt that far away! idk what to do sometimes but i know that they have shown NO concern for me at all!! that is all they told me to do, nothing about taking vitamins or peroxide or other oils.. NO body pillow because they NEVER told me how to make myself comfortable either! i need opinions please...

India,

I'm glad you shared your story, although its not a good one! My opinion is, go get another opinion from another rectal surgeon!!!!! I had too... My first surgeon I had, was awful.... Long story.. but I even wrote him a 2 page letter of how disappointed I was with him after he performed 2 of the 4 surgeries on my butt! And I never would of thought of ever doing something like that.... I had to drive very far as well... I truly did not have the same pain you had but after I did not have a BM in 10 days as well, I had to dig up in there and get the hard stool out... It was worse than child birth, I just cried for hours... My husband was so worried about me... This is when I tore the first time (1st fissure) and it was awful I know... My first surgeon, told me I was fine!! Yeah right, after me complaining for 5 weeks, he finally saw me and said, "Oh you have a fissure and you need surgery"! Ok, I could of told him that 10 days after my surgery but he WOULD NOT listen! Some of these doctors get in such a routine, that they just don't take the time to listen or even examine a patient as well as they should... Yes he said I was a rare case, but it does happen to maybe 10% of patients and I was one of them but he did not want to hear me out until he finally saw the damage himself.... After the second surgery, I never felt the same, I tore again a couple months later on the other side (a fissure) and went to a different rectal certified surgeon, he was super nice (a good Christian man), he tried the botox injection on it (I WOULD NEVER DO THIS AGAIN).... They gave me no pain meds, nothing for nerves, nothing! It was human torture... He then had to do another fissurectomy 2 weeks later... I started to heal but then a couple months later of course I tore again, so I have been living with this 3rd fissure for over 9 months... Although its not as bad as the other two I have had in the past... I'll just have to live with it basically... I also was on stool softners, laxatives, fiber, etc... and it still did not really help... I will tell you what will help, but you are only supposed to use it as a temporary use... Its mineral oil.... I did not know this until my 4th surgery to use this... It helps your stool slide right out but they don't like you to use it as a everyday because somehow it gets absorbed in the body and it can dehydrate you (at least this is what I was told)... You can buy this over the counter about anywhere but I would first ask your doctor... I don't want you to do anything you're not supposed to do.... I sure hope you can find another rectal certified surgeon.... Ask around, trust me, people will tell you their experience..... I'm so sorry you are in so much pain!!!! Please keep us updated... Sorry I'm not too much help but I'm not a doctor, I can only share my experience to let you know that other people have problems from surgery as well... Granted mine was not as bad as yours... Also, I was told to prop my butt up on a pillow and put a heating pad under my bottom (this helped me anyways), I also sleep with a small pillow in between my legs every night now, since my first surgery.... It helps eliminate some pressure off of your bottom.. It does help! Try not to lift anything as much as possible.... I know this is hard.. I have 3 kids and I had to do laundry in the basement, etc. but I would drag the basket to the basement, not pick it up... The kids sometimes would have to help me bring it up... I don't drink a lot of water but the second surgeon said thats okay, as long as you drink something often, so I drink decaf tea all day long.... So these little tips may help some, but of course it won't heal your problem... You will probably have to have another surgery, although I know thats not what you want to hear.... Maybe you won't? I will continue to pray for you though.... I feel so bad for you, really I do.... Its awful feeling like that, plus you have a child to take care of... I know I felt depressed, alone, scared.. thats when I found this website and starting talking with a few people on here and they have been my angels!!! Yes Bambi27 and Dr. Red, you know this is you two! ;-) Things will get better for you but it will take some time... Just relax and try to take it easy and try not to stress... I'm a fine one to talk, Its a long story but I've been through a lot of stress over the past year and I feel this did not help my healing process! And patience! God has taught me a lot of patience since all of this.... Talk to another doctor would be my first priority! Explain everything to them and let them know all of your horrible experiences you've had... There are GOOD surgeons that will listen and help you, I did not think so after my first 2 surgeries but there was a good doc I found... I'll try to get on here and check up on you, but I have a surgery on Monday, so I guess it depends on how I'm feeling to sit on my donut pillow at my computer... Ha ha.. I don't have a laptop.... OH, and I take my donut pillow everywhere I go!! Even out to eat, doc's office, driving... It helps me a lot! I had got it when I was preggo with my 3rd child because of bad hemis and that was 7 years ago... and I still love it! Hopefully you'll get results real soon to know what your options are to help you heal... Big hugs to you...

HOLY COW!!! I can not get these horrible so called "doctors" Anyway I will help you to the best that I can OK?

1. You need to get the following before doing anything! Either a sitz bath - can get these at drug stores or local medical aid places, 2. Epsom Salts - VERY cheap from a drug store, 3. Hydrogen Peroxide - also very cheap from a drug store, 4. squirt bottle - cheap/drugstore, 5. a body pillow - one of those long ones, get firm if you can or a king size pillow in firm! 6. A donut - pillow from drugstore 7. Omega 3-6-9 oils. 8. Prune Juice/Black Licorice (dutch type - you can get from European stores, don't get the candy stuff from the stores, it's mostly mollasses and sugar)

Ok So this is what you do! In the bath pour enough hot water in there to cover your thighs - the hottest you can handle without burning! In the water pour about 3 or 4 full cups of Epsom Salts and just soak the area! Because your bum is in a mess, fold a big fluffy towel so you can sit your tailbone on it and lay back a bit so you can soak the area more!

After the bath fill the squirt bottle with warm water OR cold if your bum is burning or itchy, and about 2tbs of hydrogen peroxide and rinse the area - it MIGHT sting but for a second!

Anywhere you sit, take the donut and use that. When you sleep, put the pillow between your legs and lay on your side so the pillow is taking the weight of your leg and it is not putting pressure on your bum! Then if you need to lay on you back put the pillow under your lower back till it reaches your tail bone, once again taking the pressure of the bed on your bum!

NOW the BIGGY! You need to take several capsules of the omega oils each day - to make your stools soft, prune juice and licorice also!

As soon as you get THAT urge to go, you do the following:

1. Stand gently bent over like a C and then start tensing and releasing your stomach and internal muscles like a roller - breathe in and out and let your stomach "ripple" This pushes the stool down and gets your muscles working!

2. Sit on the seat, bent forward - so your not sitting back on your bum - so keep your legs apart naturally, put your elbows on your knees, and start breathing, through your nose and out your mouth slowly, so on the floor or better yet on a stool put your big toe over your other toe and bring your heels out as far as you can so your feet look like this X - top your big toes, bottom your heals! The more pressed out the better! Keep doing the ripple effect of your stomach and just relax! NOW I understand and have done the "fishing expedition" for the poop! BUT don't do this OK? Do this instead

3. With a plastic glove, rim your bum (it wont let me say an*s) with a bit of olive oil - just a drop! And with the dry hand, I want you to gently feel around your bum for a bump! This part is a bit TMI but works either through your vagina or on the outside start gently pushing the bump to the opening - like pushing toothpaste out the tube!!!! 8-| ;-) This does not interfere with the an*l area! After clean the area with the squirt bottle - either warm or cold water, and dab it dry! Some of the ladies on her have been told to use lidocaine to stop the pain and others not to use anything! But I am ALL for being proactive and keeping the area clean and healthy!

I hope this works for you! and remember this is YOUR body and IF you think they aren't helping you, go to another! You NEED to be heard, PERIOD! So make them listen! As I have told the other people here, IF a doctor has NEVER gone through the trauma that we have they wont have a clue what we are talking about, and they don't listen to "you're procedure hasn't worked" so I say "TOO BAD" This IS my reality and it IS hurting and I want YOU to listen to me! When I told the other lady to write a letter to her surgeon, it was hard, because we are taught to believe that they are always right - that's NOT true! they are human! And it's time for them to get some humanity! OK? BIG hugs and please keep us updated! And by the way, my name is Dawn and you are the newest member of "The Crack of Dawn Club!" ;-)

Hi, I have a question about hemorrhoids,since you all seem so open and knowledgeable in the area.

Well, I am normally always constipated. A year ago I was put on an iron treatment, since my Iron is so low, well I think the Iron is making things worse in the constipation area. The other day, I think I noticed a small hemorrhoid. It doesn't hurt, or bleed, or itch which is a good thing, but it kind of caught me off guard and had me worried. Well I stopped trying to go to the bathroom and left it in hopes it would go away on its own, and I believe it did. But today however I noticed it was back again, again in trying to go to the bathroom. I'm concerned things will only get worse. Or do I have nothing to worry about?

Welcome guest!

Well we do have something in common... Constipation! It sounds like a small hemi hanging out, but also it could be a small blood clot... I only feel this way because since all of my surgeries, I now have new external hemis and a small blood clot... Doc did not seem too worried about the blood clot. But if you are nervous and are concerned, always call on your doctor for peace of mind... I sure hope you feel better soon.... Or if your stool is too hard to pass, have you tried stool softners? I did for awhile after those surgeries, but it was making me very sick... along with the miralax, etc... My stomach is very sensitive... I do sit and strain, which we should not do... Sometimes, I'll be on the toliet for 45 minutes just to pass small stool... I don't recommend this! Hope you feel better soon! Keep us all updated.... :-D

Dawn? Are you ok? I have not heard from you in a long, long time... I'm worried! Hugs... ;-)

Thanks for your reply. Well I do sit and strain too...Just to get nothing out. I have not tried stool softeners, but I have one of two problems, I'm either constipated which happens more often, or have very soft stools kind of like diarrhea. It's been a long while since I've had a "normal" stool. And I'm not sure why that is, or if there is anything I should be doing or or eating, or anything I should stay away from. I just don't want things to get worse. I stopped taking my Iron for about a week now, and that does seem to help a little bit, but I do need it.

Guest,

I too, do not have normal BM's... I'm lucky to go every 4 days... (Not good), I can say that after all my surgeries, the doctor's do recommend, more fiber in your diet and lots of fluids.... I however can only tolerate so much of fiber (my stomach gets all bunged up), I am not a water drinker either, but my doc told me I can drink my caffeine free tea all I want, as long as I drink something... I have my 3rd fissure and more hemis, so I try not to strain. I do know that iron can be very hard on your stomach, have you just tried Flinstones vitamins for kids? I know that seems silly but when I was preggo, I could not tolerate the iron, so I took the kids vitamins (was a lot less harsh on my stomach).. Just a thought?

If this still happens with your BM's, I would at least contact your doctor, just to make sure nothing else is going on inside your body.. I just found out with my recent surgery (my 5th) but on female parts this time, that my uterus is large and it tilts on my rectum (which causes a lot of my problems), and its attached to my bowel... Doctor refuses to do a hysterectomy on me, because it would be risking my life... There's a big possibility that he could puncture my bowel (then I would be in worse shape and that would cause a bad infection (with a hole in my bowel), so I right now, just have to deal with my bowel issues... So I would of never of known this, if my OB doctor never went inside with a scope to perform this surgery he was supposed to do, but he was not able to do it... Been to two different colon rectal surgeon's and neither one of them knew this (even by doing a colonscopy), so it was a blessing in disguise for me to go for this surgery I was going to have... (On my female parts)... So this is why I'm mentioning this to you... There maybe something else going on inside your body that you don't know about?????

Hope you feel better though! Keep us updated!!!!

Ya, that's like me too, lucky to go 1 or 2 times a week. I try to get fiber in my diet, eating more oatmeal and such. I too am not a fan of water, but I will drink it just to get some. I was taking vitamins before, for adults, and had to stop because it was causing me to have stomach pain. The problem is my iron is so slow, because I'm a vegetarian, so I'm taking pills for Iron therapy, so it is a lot iron. But even when I'm not on them I still have problems. But I will bring it to my doctors attention. Thanks again.

Hi

I would take a teaspoon of metamucil in 8oz water in the morning, and the same at night. This will help enormously with the constipation. I would also eat Activia every other day or every day if you like it. I get sick of it easily so every other is ok for me. If things get better good.
I started doing this about a year ago, after suffering horribly with hemarroids and having to have surgery recently.
The constant forcing/straining will inevitably lead to hemarroids, and then surgery, so do yourself a favor and suffer the iron, metamucil and activia now.
Hopefully things will get better.
Max

Hi Max, thank you for your support.... I have tried metamucil and it makes my stomach very upset, I have bowel issues along with my hemi's, 3rd fissure, and blood clot... I do not eat much meat either for protein, but I try to eat other things for that... As for the Activa.. Is this just a yogurt??? I like some yogurts, but I don't eat it often, maybe I should consider trying it if it would help my stomach issues? I'll give anything a try just once to see if it would help.... I've done the miralax, metamucil, stool softners, etc, etc... Mineral oil works well, but doc says you should not use this on a daily basis... Somehow with its absorbtion, can dehydrate you.... But he said its safe to take every now and then.... I just try to eat more fruit and veggies than I used to.. Seems to be helping some, so hopefully I'm on the road to recovery, but I feel like this is going to be a lifetime battle with me, so I will have to keep up the diet, fluids, etc... So thanks again for the information! Hope you are feeling well?

3lovelykiddos , a big hug for you
it seems you had suffered enough

Please take it to the hospital admin or the bar's , because you suffered long, you should not like that.

See as many doctors as possible. I hope I could help myself

I wish you peaceful and happy days :-)