Hi guys,

I am nearly 42 and had my tonsillectomy some 19 days ago, I'm over the worst of the pain issues and can eat fairly well but I have still got some problems with swollowing (some foods seem to get stuck, or feel like it has anyway), my speaking has become a problem in that certain sounds are very, very nasally and its difficult to pronounce some words. On top of this when I drink liquids, depending on how my head is inclined the liquid will dribble out of my nose!

I seem to be only able to sleep for 2-3 hours at a time, and when I wake up my throat is very dry and sore untill I've managed to get a drink down. But the 'cat-napping' for only 2-3 hours at a time is starting to wear me out.

Has anyone else suffered in a similar fashion to this? I'm hoping that my throat is still swollen from the surgery and its only a matter of time before things return to normal ..... but after nearly 2.5 weeks I'm getting a little worried.

i'm 26 & had a tonsillectomy 8 days ago & already feel a lot better than you sound. i've heard it said that the older you are the longer the recovery from tonsillectomy, but it does sound like your throat must be still swollen.

are you still taking pain-killers at regular intervals & anti-inflammatories (they put me on 'voltarol')? i can almost feel my throat start to swell/hut more when my voltarol has worn off, especially when i wake up in the morning. i think mine last about 6-8 hours so i try to take it just before i go to sleep.

also are you drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day - if not this can make evrything worse.

i'm no doctor but if it were me i'd consider going to my gp.

Things are slowly getting better, still have a little problem with speech but this is getting better. Drinking is still an issue (with the liquid dribbling out of my nose), I am still taking the anti-inflamitory tablets (Ibuprofen) every 8 hours'ish. Sleeping seems good now as well, not waking up with a raging sore throat anymore or gasping for that first drink of water to kick-start my throat.

Pain has totally gone now, and even eating is OK. So I can definately see the light at the end of the tunnel, think I was sort of expecting an exponential curve on the recovery .... you know, start really slow but when it does kick in for me to get over it quickly .... but that just hasn't been the case, its been slow progress all the way.

Anyways, day 24 and still keeping my hanky handy when I drink :-)

Hi, I am so glad I found this forum. I am 39 and just had my tonsils and adenoids out on April 10th Here I am 2 weeks later still in plenty of pain and struggling with a swollen uvula, throat & back of tongue. o.O When I talk I feel like my tongue swelling increases the more I talk and I feel like I am choking on it and always on the verge of biting it. I also was sleeping vertical for awhile.

Yeah, I was sleeping vertical for the first couple of weeks. Mainly because when I laid down I could breath in through my nose but not out and I would start to suffocate, which would wake me up (was trying to keep breathing through my nose to stop my throat from drying out even more than it did anyway).

My uvula is still swollen but like I mentioned previously, I get the feeling that things are returning to normal ..... its just taking a lot longer than I thought or hoped for.......

I had mine out on the 17 th and Im still in pain my ears and throat are in pain iI have pain med's but dont like the way they make me feel I found that taking IB profen and tylenol makes the pain go away for about 4 hous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm 33 and just had my tonsils out 6 days ago. This is the most excrutiating pain I have ever felt. I think I may have developed a thrush infection since yesterday. I now have white patches over my tongue and it burns to swallow anything, especially the pain meds. The pain meds only take the edge off for about 1 1/2 hours. I am counting the hours and days of recovery. It sounds as though the pain is normal, but any advice? I can't even attempt anything except ice cream, popsicles and sherbert.

I'm 30 and I had my operation done 7 days ago. Some days have been pure agony. The only relief I get is for about 3 hours after I take ibuprofen, tylenol and gargle with mouthwash. My ENT says I have an infection. I went to see him on day 4 of recovery because my throat hurt so bad. Its been 3 days now of taking a stronger antibiotic (clindamyacin) and gargleing with mouth wash 4 times daily. It still seems that I'm not getting any better. I have white patches at the back of my throat and tongue. I barely sleep at night and wake up with excruciating pain and swollenenss in my throat. I have to force down the ibuprofen and suffer until it kicks in. I try and go back to sleep with the awful taste of mouthwash and bitterness in my mouth. I then usually wake up a couple of hours later and have the same thing happen again. Then after i repeat the ibuprofen/mouthwash process i only sleep for a couple of more hours and eventually stay up for the rest of the day. In the day time I take naps every so often and every four hours i take more medication before meals so i can eat without haveing major throat pain. If I'm not improved by tomorrow I'm going to see my ENT again and find out what the hell is going on! I know I'm being a baby but this is just not right. Good luck everyone.

Hello, RobF and others...I am also 42 yrs. old, had my surgery on 4/20. I share your frustration with my own slow progress in recovery. I still have soreness in my throat, tongue and right ear (in spite of the 1000 mg acetaminophen I take every 6 hrs). It has been improving, but honestly I expected to be nearly back to health by now. :( I am trying to integrate solid foods back into the diet, but find when I eat something solid, there is residual soreness for the next few hours. I'm also only partially able to taste most foods (except some liquids/soups, it seems). Are you able to taste food yet, RobF? Has your doctor given you any indication as to when you might be well again? (I am on leave from my employer, and very concerned about being gone for more than a month or so.) I am seeing one of my doctors in the morning; wish me luck. (P.s. I was on a very high dose of vicodin a/k/a hydrocodone, and for the last week or so-since I stopped taking it in one dose, vs. tapering off as is usually advised-have suffered narcotic withdrawal from it...maybe the worst part of my recovery! Sure wish my surgeon would have given me clearer instructions on stopping those pills.) Best...Brian

Hi RobF: how are you doing now? Curious about your current state of recovery from the tonsil operation. Thanks...Brian (bdigit)

Hi Brian,

OK I'm 47 days post my operation and things have definately improved. After the initial two or three weeks, which saw the usual suspects (really sore throat, troubles drinking let alone eating, having to sleep sitting up etc.) things have got better but very, very slowly. I stopped taking any pain killers or tablets of any form after about 3 weeks. My main problems since then have been the swollen uvula and liquids dribbling out of my nose when I drink .... yuuuukkk, I hear you mutter :-) ..... I went to my GP and she said that I had a thrush infection, from the surgery. So thats where I am at the moment, trying to get rid of that. Though to be fair even that seems to be getting better (slowly) or I'm becoming more accustomed to it.

As far as eating is concerned, that three week barrier for me was the key. The only real difficulty I had was actually swollowing, I still have to ensure that I chew my food thoroughly (a lot more than I did previously) before swollowing, eitherwise it can be difficult to get down. Now this isn't a bad thing and is something the doctors encourage anyway - so maybe its not a bad thing :|

But I do feel a little bit let down by the lack of information that I got from my hospital about how I would feel afterwards. Yeah, they told me it was worse for adults and that I would have a really bad sore throat .... but nothing prepared me for the real hell that I went through ... I'm based in the UK, so don't know what its like in the States or elsewhere but from reading some of the stories on this forum, I suspect its not much different. Really, really wished I'd found this forum prior to having the op .... then again maybe not :-)

I only had two weeks off work, I was screaming to get back after that (unfortunate timing ment I was off at same time as my kids were off school, so no peace!).

Good luck at the docs, Brian ..... let us know how you get on ....

Take care ....

I had my surgery on the 1st of june.I know its only been a week but this is killing me. I think I have an infection, yellow patches on the back of my throat my ears hurt i have fluid coming up my nose after drinking. And while swallowing there is this noise coming from my nose that sounds like air. Anyone else have that?

Hi RobF.I'm just wondering how you are doing now.I've experienced similar problems to you post tonsillectomy.I'm 7 weeks after the operation but I'm still speaking funny and sometimes have fluids come back up through my nose.Please tell me there is light at the end of this long and painful tunnel. %-)

Hi guys,

Its been 12 weeks for me now, the good news is that I am feeling a lot, lot better. Don't get me wrong, its not perfect and I still can get liquids dribbling out of the nose if I drink with my head inclined (and I think this is something I will have to live with) but this isn't too bad.

deirdremj, the fluid through the nose should get less and less but like I say I think that I am left with a little problem that way ..... but I can remember a kid at school who could do this at an early age, maybe he'd had his tonsils out as well ;-) But definately the speaking problem has gone away .... by uvula/soft pallete does swell up easily, mainly when I talk too much but I am not sure whether this was caused by the tonsillectomy or a symptom I had before which just has not been cured by the tonsellectomy.

I have got a visit back to my consultant early in July to ask the questions about whether the liquid coming down the nose is permanent and whether anything can be done about the swelling uvula. But if either involve having another operation, I suspect I might just live with the current symptoms ..... they are better than the alternative.

The most positive thing I can say, is that for all the problems and pain I endured I am pleased that I have had the tonsils removed. My quality of life has definately improved as a direct result!

Good luck with all your problems, I'm sure they will ease ... in time ....

Rgds

RobF

Thanks for the reply RobF.Really found your posts helpful and it's always reassuring when you find others in the same boat as you. :-) Good luck with the consultant in July!I have my appointment on Mon. 25th June so fingers crossed he can shed a little light.
Take care
Deirdre