I had my tonsils out in August of 2011. Terrible experience, horrible recover, but I got through it and for a while all was well. However, starting in January of this year I started experiencing the same type of pain as before the tonsillectomy. I thought it would go away but it hasn't and has only persisted if not gotten worse. The pain is in my throat and ears and is a general achey kind of soreness that is sometimes worse than other times. Before my tonsillectomy, my doctor said he was going to extract my adenoids also but he didn't! I was so mad when I found out about this! At the initial appointment he said my adenoids looked very large and needed to come out as well as my tonsils. But, after surgery he said when he "went in there, the adenoids didn't look too bad" so he "left them in there". Could this be the reason for my pain? 
I think I should go back to an ENT doctor because this pain really sucks, its everyday and disruptive of my daily activities. Could me smoking cigarettes be the problem? I am sure it contributes but since this pain has started back in January, I really haven't been smoking as much because the pain decreases my desire for a cigarette. 
So does anybody know what is going on or have any advice as to what I should do? 8-| Please help, my throat hurts as I'm typing this! 

I am 3 weeks post op from a tonsillectomy. My adenoid was left in be side they were not my problem, my tonsils were the issue. I would suggest a thorough exam with a different ENT. You really should have it checked out so you can get some answers. It may have nothing to do with your left-in adenoids. Good luck!