It has been 3 weeks since my partial kidney removal. Aside from the overwelming onset of feeling so tired after exertion I'm doing great. Only problem I am having is a sharp burning pain to the lower right of my naval. Is this normal or possibly a problem I should be concerned about.
I go to my surgeon next week for further testing for I have had cancer twice before the right kidney cancer. Naturally when something doesn't feel right it sends up a red flag and I haven't found any information on burning pain after surgery. Can anyone help me with this. I would really appreicate it.

First of all GOD BLESS!!! You!! And second we are NOT doctors on here honey so if you have ANY concerncs whatsover I want you to phone your doctor! In my "Unprofessional" opinion ;-) I think that is a "knitting" when they take out organs then the surgeons will lift other organs - to make sure there isn't any mastazing of the cancer! So our internal organs DONT like being touched and lifted and can take awhile to "calm" down - also when one of your organs has been "lessened" the other orangs - that are involved with that particular process, have to step up to the plate and take over for what is lacking! So in the case of your kidneys - the filtration system - your liver, bladder, pancrease, gallbladder will kick it up and it takes them awhile to get used to the extra workload! Does this make sense? So as I first stated - before my ramble ;-) - I would like you to phone the surgeon to just see if this is fine, OK?! Good luck and the best of health to you in the new year!!!

Having a partial Kidney removal has been quite a ride. I appreciate your reply Bambi27. Tomorrow I'll place a call to my surgeon. I don't know a lot of people who have had kidney surgery, so I was hoping to find someone out there that may have or have had this type of discomfort. Your are correct, my surgeon did say he looked around other areas to be safe. Better to be safe than sorry later. Have a Healthy and Happy New Year

My mom had kidney cancer twice! And please let me know what the doctor says OK? Good luck and health!

Hi Bambi27.......
Talked personally with my surgeon today. He stated just about what you said word for word. My incision was made quite large so he could have a good look around. Also with all the meds. in surgery and after it slows everything down abit and it will take awhile for bowels to function on a more normal level. Last but least he cut through a lot of nerves and muscles, so that could attribute to the burning pain.
He told me to call his office right away if the pain becomes worse, or I'm vomiting and am unable to go to the bathroom. Next week I'll be seeing him for a followup and tests. He is considering a pet scan.
It has been one month today since surgery and I know I'm doing really good. I'm just trying to stay optimistic and know it will hurt to heal. Thank you so much for being there.
I'm sorry to hear your Mom had kidney cancer twice. How did she do with both journies?
My Mom died 11 years ago due to Brain cancer that had spread rapidly throughout her body. I miss her every day.
You take care and God Bless

Glad to hear it honey! I should have been a doctor!!!! ;-) XD

My mom fought cancer for over 25 years, orginally with renal cancer - she had her entire kindey taken - and then it didn't rear it's head till 19 years later, in her lung, that was taken care of then it went to her hip, then her other kidney then eventually her brain! So I understand you honey! It is awful! But Kidney cancer is a VERY treatable cancer - as we only need 1/3 of 1 kidney to survive! It took my mom awhile to recover = the worse for her was what you are describing - that knitting sensation!

Do you have special ointments for your scars? Because they can REALLY irritate! The BEST thing out there is called Bio Oil! I have a rare cancer synrome and have many operations on my face and body! And I swear you cannot tell that I have had MAJOR incisions on my face! It stops any irritation and is VERY moisiturizing too! It's ALL natural - which I like! So give it a try! Keep the incision moist - don't let it dry out! The airbreathing covering that you can stick over the wound is great - as you can shower etc.! Even though there has been a LOT of talk about Cranberry Juice even stopping UTI's lately! I still believe in it! Also try and cut down on your sugars, and drink a LOT! Even though this is hard on your system it has been enough time for your body to handle the water! The worst is if you get yourself dehydrated! Also start taking Probiotic yogurt, and acidopholus pills - to cut out any chance of infections! The work GREAT! IF you are having problems with your bowels - ingesting Omega oils - cold water fish oil is the best, this helps your wounds and your bowels! And your hair and skin too! Don't push yourself too much, nice and easy and if you have a partner, have them gently massage the oil into your body - the warmth and the massage really relaxes the freaked out nerves and helps with the knitting!

Please let me know how you make out next week OK? God bless honey!

Hi Bambi27......
Today has been 8 weeks since I had partial right kidney removal. Wow....what an interesting ride it has been. I've been so busy I haven't even been online. Only two setbacks. I suppose when your Doctor says
you are doing far toooo much it's very wise to listen. I went hiking in the snow. Oh, it was beautiful. I hiked and hiked, took pictures of a lot of birds and then realized I had been out for over an hour. It felt so great to be outside. Only problem was I slept forever. XD I was exhausted and so sore for days.
Second setback....I finally realized I had kidney cancer. :-( Now I could just sit around and cry and feel sorry for myself, but that's not me. I haven't cried since I was told I had cancer.
Only other problem which should probably be the biggest is a kidney infection, but I got right on
antibiotics and feel better now.
It's great that the barium enema which I'll never have again. >:( only showed a kink in my colon.
My Surgeon is worried he damaged a nerve. Hell, I have pudendal nerve damage from another
surgery, so I told him it's not a big deal. Only hurts when I'm wearing jeans or something tight near
my naval. I have an upper GI next week. I'm not sure why they are ordering all these tests because
I feel great, but they are the Doctors.
So with all my emotions running wild I have been talking with the young girl that was my room mate in the hospital. Angela, 22 years old with stage 4 colon/stomach cancer. Her Mother died of colon cancer
Sept. The day before I left the hospital I walked to the gift shoppe with my fiance' and brought her a
big, soft cuddlely teddy bear. I wrote on the card that we wanted her to have a chemo bear and that we love her. We talk every day and my heart aches for her. So my cancer was nothing but a major
inconvienence compared to the journey that she has to endure.
Angela told me she is mentally slow....but I'll tell you what, I see a very smart young woman. She had
her first chemo treatment yesterday and called me during it. She had it from 8am till 11am. They also
attached a chemo ball to her port. I know from having 3 cancers that this is not good. I told my fiance'
that I wanted to help her through her final stages of life and he surprised me by saying that he thought
it was good idea. My only worry is being drained emotionally. I feel cancer feeds off stress....my Doctors
have always said avoid stressful situations. I think I'll be there for her by phone and online to start.
She lives over and hour away so travel will be limited. I just know my life is so good and I'm one hell
of a fighter and she could use some of my strength. Angela says they won't tell her anything, but she
cried, then said she over heard a nurse say she had maybe a year.
I've been planting my flower and veggie seeds indoors so they will be ready by June to plant outside
and that to me is so exciting. When I get my first seed catalog in the winter I know warm weather is
on the way. :-D
So that's about it at my end. I'm getting stronger every day, am told to slow down every day, which I
thought I did, and am so thankful to be alive.
Hope you are doing well and thank you for being there for me. I'll keep you posted.
PS. I started painting again. Haven't in over a year. I'm painting a drunk duck. tooooo funny. XD

Hi honey! SO glad to hear from you! Cancer HAS to be dealt with on ALL levels! Physically, Emotionally, Mentally, etc. IF you don't deal with IT, it will just creep up on you and slap you in the face! Thus you crying after the fact! When I was diagnosed with this rare syndrome and they found a scar on my optic nerve - they think I might go blind!!!! - I just was numb! I just felt like "YEP! They found something, of course they did!!!" I get headaches ALL the time, and it's because I'm not dealing with it and am overwhelmed! It's funny I give ALL this advice but I don't do it myself!!! 8-| XD BUT I totally understand what you are dealing with!

As long as they are treating you friend there is hope! My thoughts and prayers go out to Angela! I HATE cancer! And I think it's time for the world to put their BILLIONS of dollars into healthcare and erradicating these terrible illnesses, instead of using it in wars and buy outs!I am a healthcare advocate where I live! And I could honestly have a massive heartattack watching the waste of money and the drive to privatize our healthcare system! There is NOTHING more important than our health! As I'm sure you are now even more aware of right?

I am VERY pleased that your doctors are on the ball, and just making sure that there isn't too much pressure on your other organs! I HATE barrium Xrays - don't they SUCK!!!!? I have to have them - due to my mom! What you have to realize is that you DONT have cancer, you HAD cancer!! It's a very different feeling when you think of it in the past tense! It doesn't overwhelm you as thinking that you DO, because the poor angels that DO have cancer, think about it ALL the time and it stress'es them out! STRESS is HUGE when regards to your overall health! Either physical stress - too much exertion, Mental - as in not getting rest, Emotional - as in being overwhelmed with feelings and pain! It is SO detrimental to our overall healht! I am a painter too, so paint away honey! I also LOVE vacuuming, watering the grass, etc. Just something to do, when alll you think about is COLOR, LINES in the carpet, the green of the grass etc. That is why Zen Gardens are SO popular! You should try making one I LOVE mine! You just TOTALLY Zone out! So keep on being creative and DEFINITELY don't take on too much, LISTEN to your body! IF you don't she WILL let you know!

So big hugs to you and Angela, and please keep me updated OK? God Bless!