Couldn't find what you looking for?


I am 18 years old, and I have a question.
I have constant pains in my back. Sometimes it is just a dull, aching pain along the sides of my spine right above my hips, and then sometimes the pain can escalate so suddenly that I can't do anything but sit there. When I apply pressure to my sides the pain eases a little, but it's hard for me to walk around or sometimes even lie down.
Sometimes the pain disappears completely for a day or so and then comes back, most of the time on the left side. It's hard for me to sit still when it's like that, so I often can't sleep or I wake up early in the morning and can't go back to sleep because it hurts so bad.
When I was 15 I had a kidney stone on my right side, and they went in and lasered it and everything was fine. The kind of pain I have now is nothing like when I had the kidney stone, so I know that can't be it.
I've had two Urinary Tract Infections; one in February of this year and one about 3 weeks ago, that my doctor said was probably caused by having sex (I had just come home from 2 months of travelling; my boyfriend was very happy). I took the antibiotics and it seemed to go away.
Now I don't know if the back pains are because of a pregnancy, because I think it's way too early to tell. I've been on the birth control pill for 2 years now and when I was on the antibiotics my boyfriend and I used a condom, because I knew that they cancelled each other out. And I don't have any cramping like I do when I'm on my period; it's strictly just back and side pains. I don't have any blood or burning when I use the bathroom, like I had with my UTIs.
I don't want to go to the doctor or even tell my parents because I don't want to make a big deal out of it when it's really nothing. I just want to know if I can get some advice or opinions on what it could be because the pain is so unbearable I don't know how much longer I can last...


Back and side pains may be a symptom of upper urinary tract infection involving the kidneys and the ureters. This is in contrast to the lower urinary tract infection involving the bladder and the urethra. Cranberry juice has been clinically proven to help relieve the symptoms of a urinary tract infection. Try some cranberry juice to see if your condition will improve. Other possible causes of back and side pains include kidney cancer, degenerative disc disease, ovarian cancer, and chronic kidney abscess.


User avatar
495 posts
If you are prome to waterworks infections there are a few things you can do to help yourself.

Drink lots of water.
Drink water in between every alcohol drink. If you drink
As hoseclamp says cranberry juice is good to drink. You can get tablets too.
Wear cotton underwear (not thongs)
Urinate before sex an after.
Do not use any form of soaps in the area.
Shower. not bath.
Dont use tampons.

If you have got back pain, i suggest you get it checked just incase.
You can buy dip sticks to test yourself. But make sure you get the ones that test white an red blood cells. (they are expensive)
Kidney stone can cause scaring to the kidney, this makes you more prone to infection.

Have you had test done on you kidneys?

My daughter has slight scaring from an infection when she was 3... 19 now.
She now takes medication all the time to protect her kidney from further damage.

PS her doctor did tell her too, sex causes infections.
When she became sexually active. She had lots of infections an ended up in hospital, very ill!!

Hope you get it sorted soon xx


Listen, there is really no way to tell if it is "really nothing" that you are making a big deal over if you don't get checked out by a doctor! It can be really hard to tell the difference between back pain or kidney pain, and just because the pain feels different to kidney stones, that doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with your kidneys, such as an inflammation for instance. 

Your symptoms worry you enough to talk about them here. Please remember that there's no way to self-diagnose yourself in this case, much less treat yourself. You need to know the underlying cause. See a doctor.