I'm dying to do a race....it's been so long. I just checked out my local calendar and the only thing I may be able to do schedule-wise is an 8k that's 4 weeks from today.

I've been pretty slack on running lately in the sense of mileage. I'm only doing 2 and 3 miles regularly. But I'm running on average 4 days a week. I just have never really gotten my groove back in the sense of running farther again since having my baby...(before getting pg I was doing a long run of 6 miles and regularly ran 3 and 4 miles)

Is trying to do an 8k in 4 weeks too ambitious? Obviously only doing it to finish and for fun.....

Thoughts on if that's too much? Thoughts on some training??

I am really ready to get back onto more of a training regimend rather than just running 2 or 3 miles for the exercise.

Thanks!

yes you can. If you commit to it, you will likely make the time to train for it.

I believe in you.

Sure you can. If you can run 3 miles now, you'll be able to do 5 miles in 4 weeks from now. That's not too much of a build up.

:1: Especially since you're doing three miles an average of four times a week, an 8K is certainly doable.

Go for it!

What they said :)

I believe in you.
Um, can I just say you rock! So any thoughts on how to get up to 5 miles? To be accurate, I'm doing 2 miles more than 3 right now. But I did 3 today and lived. I'm having trouble getting over the hump of 3. How much would be a good amount to add on at a time over each week? How much should I slow down my usual pace to add the extra mileage? I was doing a 6.0 pace (10 min/mile) and today went down to 5.7 (10:30 pace) to do 3 which helped. I actually probably could've gone further if I pushed it (which I didn't, I just wanted to see how 3 felt today). Any other thoughts on putting my schedule together for the next 4 weeks? Really 3 1/2 weeks I guess if I "start" Monday. Thanks for the encouragement and advice! Keep it coming!

IMO:

I'm not a pro, but whenever I go for more distance I slow down the pace as well. It feels so much better to slow things down and concentrate on keeping myself going a little bit extra in milege. Once I make it to that distance, I try to push a little harder the next time to increase my speed.

If I were in your situation, I would try to increase my runs .5 miles/run each week.

Week 1: 3 miles/run
Week 2: 3.5 miles/run
Week 3: 4 miles/run
Week 4: 4.5 miles/run

That's how I would do it. Some of the other pros here on board might have better suggestions for you.

I know you can do it! Just keep telling yourself that too! :D

IMO: Week 1: 3 miles/run Week 2: 3.5 miles/run Week 3: 4 miles/run Week 4: 4.5 miles/run
My first ever: :1: :)