Emphasis on sensible since it such a foreign concept for me.....and for some of the rest of us as well. After four weeks of chiropractic adjustments and therapy, I am feeling much better although not totally "cured" yet. As a bonus, my lingering sinus infection is gone so I finally feel like a human being again!! I went to the gym yesterday for the first time since I started treatments and was planning on just walking 3 miles or so on the mill, rowing and doing some lifting, but .25 mile into the walk, my running demon took over and I had to try. I ran a mile, and trust me, at the pace I was running I am pushing it calling it "running", adjusting up or down as I felt I needed to, and then walked about another .25 at the end. Total=1.5, plus 2000m on the rower and some upper body stuff. Felt great, no pain in the hips today, and I told the chiro doc this (his response: ) last night and he said "fine, you're going to run, I can't stop you, just do it sensibly." Green enough light for me! ;) Here's my plan, see if you think it's too conservative, because I do, but I am trying my hardest to do it right this time: The rest of this week and next: run 1 mile every other day, with walking on either side to equal 3 miles total (prolly run mile 2 when I'm good and loose) at a conservative pace (which is pretty much what I run anyway but I made myself run slower than I could have yesterday). In addition: 2 swims, 2 row sessions, and four days lifting, 2 upper body, 2 lower, as cross training (I can do two a days because we have a gym here at work) a week. Starting in two weeks: start with a mile every day (running) and work up to 2 by the end of the week. After that: :shrug: how do I work back up from there?? I know I'm gonna get really bored with running only a mile a day pretty damn fast, so any and all suggestions are welcome, please!

Do you have access to an eliptical trainer? It comes close to simulated the running motion without the bone jarring side effects. :D

You have the right idea. Keep it slow and easy or look forward to many more months sidelined.

Glad to see you're making a comeback!

Since you are coming off of chiropractic issues, I think you should take at least a week or two easy to allow for all the muscles to adjust and become accustomed to the new positions. After I get my back adjusted next week, I'll drop back my mileage for a week or two.

Aren't there specific excercises to strengthen your back or does rowing do that? Does the cross training include biking? I thought I had heard that biking was actually really good for the back (PH or any other cyclists, can you confirm this?).

As for being too conservative, I don't think you can be. If you error on the side of being conservative, you will take an extra week or two to recover. If you push yourself too much, you may take yet another month or two to recover. That's my two cents. Do I follow my own advice? Unfortunatly no, but I'm learning to.

Koby, that's what I usually do.....rush back out and drop mega miles all at once and back on the bench I go. I agree there's really no such thing as too conservative, I just hate BEING so conservative (except politically ;) )

As for my back, the rowing helps, I do the back extension machine and am just starting Pilates for core strength, plus I am changing up my yoga routine to help with the back issues also. I think I've got that covered, and the doc is going to give me some rehab stuff to do next week.

I hate cycling with a passion, that's not really an option, plus road biking, with it's bent over position, aggravated my issues to the point where it hurt to cycle, hence why I hate it. But I can do the recumbent at the gym if I have to. That's why I want to swim again.

Katz, we do have ETs at both gyms I belong to and I do like them so I'll probably try to stick that in somewhere too. :)

What have you been putting in during the last four weeks through the therapy?

Ummm...not much, an occasional walk or some yoga, but he wouldn't let me run at all or lift anything beyond weight that was just too wussy for me to even consider. He's realllllly conservative. I ran once, right before I started therapy, 5K where I only walked about a total of 1/2 mile of it.
Plus, with that infection still brewing, I felt like c**p most of the time and didn't want to do anything, and I couldn't swim either. So I am pretty much starting from scratch. Yesterday felt like I could have done more, so that's my benchmark.

I remember you also posted about going easy on the weights now right? Not power lifting, yes? That being said, I think you've got a good program there, but I'd temper the first couple weeks with a couple days each week totally off. And whenever the rundown feeling hits, this isn't the time to "train through it". Starting from scratch is in my book, some of the hardest training out there. Forget the dozen quarters on the track when you're in good shape. It's the sloggin' 2-milers when your heart and lungs aren't ready for it that takes fortitude. Anyway, I think the 4-runs a week starting with one mile running and two miles walking is just right; and then moving toward less walking and more running. Over maybe 4 weeks getting that done. I'd also crank up the rowing from 2km to 5km. In the same progression as the run. The rower is a great way to get the heart and lungs fit plus it does wonders for your shins to get you ready for being on the road and off the treadmill. The additional swimming and elliptical are all good too. Again though, I'd keep an eye on the number of hours you're logging. If week one comes in around 5 hours of training, then I'd stick to that and add a half hour every other week to give yourself some recovery weeks instead of steady increases.
Do you have fresh running shoes?

Too much, too soon. Like jrjo said, give yourself about 4 weeks to get yourself up to the 2 miles running.
Four days of lifting - only if you do light weights and don't try to outlift every person in the gym.
You've got a good plan and a (kinda) good idea on moderation. You just need to remember that you don't need to get "back in shape" in a couple of weeks. It's not a race, it's a lifetime event.

Yes, my running shoes are new, I had just gotten them right before I got benched. Sigh. Comebacks suck....FOUR WEEKS to run two stinking miles? Sniffle.......:cry:

I will play it by ear on the days off, but I'm barely running at all so I need to do something else to keep my fitness level up and stress level down.....but I'll try to pay more attention if I'm tired. And trust me, I can't outlift everyone in the gym...yet so I'm sorta stuck with the light weights. Blech.

JJ, does your rower have the dial to set the tension? What do you usually have it on--I think the higher the # the harder the workout, no??

Since you will be doing other stuff as well, do the C25K. It will force you to maintain a slow ramp up.

Fabulous idea! I've been reading all these ideas with interest since I'm starting from square one right now, too.
These are some great ideas and aren't only helping G!
I also thinking the running/walking the three miles and slowly ramping up is a great idea, too!

Oh, I think I would DIE on the C25K....I can at least run a mile already! 8O I like the idea of sticking to some sort of schedule though, for just the reason Bob said.....maybe a modified version of one of Higdon's programs, Aire?? What do you think of that?

His 8k programs look pretty good to me--or even his more advanced 5k would do me just fine!
The 8k will jazz BC because he loves having a schedule/goal to train with. The USAF is bringing back the timed run here in a couple of months, so it'll help both of us out.

I set it nearly at the highest. Actually, I've exchanged a few emails and been on some rower bulletin boards and reality is the workout ends up being the same no matter where you put it. With the lower tension, you have to get a faster rep going to keep up the same speed. Personally, I like a little slower clip and harder pull. In competition, there is no rule where to put the tension and from what I've read, most competitors keep it on the lower end, but dang I find that more tiring having to pull more often to keep the pace up.

I do too!!! I think my shoulders and arms show it more too, with the added resistance. Plus, it kinda speaks to my weightlifting side because the pull is tougher to do, kinda like lifting more weight. Guess there's a little macho in this chickie after all! ;)