i'm 7 1/2 months pregnant and i was just told that i have genital warts. my doctor told me that it wouldn't phase my baby, and told me that he could treat it now or later. i really don't know anthing about genital warts and i'm really freaking and don't know what to do. help!

Health Advisor
You should have asked your doctor to tell you more about the genital warts and what happens to them in pregnancy.

Genital warts are caused by a virus and they are highly transmittable skin to skin. You didn't say where the warts are, and that is kind of important.

Sometimes during pregnancy, genital warts could multiply and get larger. They could grow to be so large to make urination difficult if they are in the urinary tract. They could also cause obstruction during delivery if they are in the vagina, so this is why it is important to talk to your doctor about your individual options.

Complications in infants are very rare. However, it is possible that infants develop warts in their throats, which requires frequent laser treatments to prevent obstruction of the breathing passages.