Recently my husband and I found out completely by accident that our daughter-in-law is still breastfeeding our granddaughter who is now eight years old and who recently began puberty. In fact our daughter-in-law during the weekday will go as far as leaving work at lunchtime, drive to our granddaughter's elementary school, pick her up then drive home to breastfeed her or in one case actually breastfed her in the car then drive from home to the elementary school then back to work, she also breastfeeds her before bedtime. Now as a mother I completely understand the benefits of breastfeeding that it provides nutrition for the child and promotes a strong bond between the mother-daughter and for the mother it produces and distributes natural Oxycontin into the body, this also occurs during child birth. My husband and I content that there has to be a cutoff point sometime in the child's life from being breastfeed and at eight years old that is the point right there but our son and daughter-in-law have basically told us to mind our own business that if my daughter-in-law wants to continue to breastfeed is solely her decision and no body else's and interestingly my son's loudmouth liberal mother-in-law proclaimed there is absolutely nothing wrong with what her daughter is doing and that in fact my daughter-in-law and her all of sibilings were all breastfed until each of them were around 8 to 11 years old.

I would like to point out for the record that I have 5 children (3 boys and 2 girls) and they were all weaned from my breast at 1 to 1 1/2 years old and that both my other daughters and two other daughter-in-laws all stop breastfeeding their children at or just before the same age that I stopped breastfeeding my children.

I'd appreciate hearing everyone else's opinion.

Nana Judy.

WOW...I think that is insane actually.  There is no reason to breast feed anywhere near this long.  To pick the child up at school to breastfeed....absolutely unbelievable to me!  I think 8 is pretty young (by a few years) for puberty - but if you are breastfeeding a child that has started puberty that is even worse...

I know right... Unfortunately my husband and I feel that our daughter-in-law has been too deeply influenced by her mother, I mean even my daughter-in-law's friends think it's INSANE for her to be doing this and they've all stopped breastfeeding for years now. But I am afraid if I stick my nose any deeper and try to push her to stop it could cause a riff in the family and in my son's marriage.

Any advice on how I should handle this?

Nana Jane

If it's not abuse it is still none of your business. Six years is still a common length of time to breastfeed for those who don't force early weaning on their child. The Western society is very odd in that they wean their children while still babies. But elsewhere it is normal and commonly happens until 9 years old in some countries.