Hello, I have a baby three months old. This was my first pregnancy and it went well. Everything was ok three months, but now we have a problem. How long can a baby not have a bowel movement? My son did not defecate for three days and it was happening usually once a day…

Well, there might be something going on here, but most probably it is nothing. I want to say that in some cases, even ten days without defecation is considered normal. Babies can sometimes use entire food (milk) they take, so there is not much left to be considered as waste. Of course, if you are worried, you can always take him to a doctor.

If your baby was having a healthy bm every day but now has shifted to 2 or 3 days, that is okay.
Anything past 4 or 5 days i would talk to his Pedi. IMO, 10 days without a BM is not normal.

" IMO, 10 days without a BM is not normal." Yes it is. I took my daughter to he doc and the said its normal. i feel 4 her though today is day 14 with no poo...

My son used to get very constipated starting from about 4 months old. My older two sons never once got constipated, so i was worried. He went for about 6 or 7 days without a bowel movement, and then finally he went, and it was a HUGE, very hard, ball of green, mucous covered poop. He cried and screamed, and I can't imagine how painful that was for him, I don't even know how something that big could even come out of such a little babies bottom. It was seriously the size of a softball, not a baseball. I used to have to give him enemas sometimes because it would be so bad. He would hold it in even when he felt the urge, because he knew it was going to be painful.

I believe it was because I was nursing him, but not eating healthy at all. He had constipation problems for more than 2 years. The doctor gave me a prescription for miralax, but it bothered me that they didn't seem to think something was seriously wrong if he couldn't naturally have regular bowel movements. I personally don't think it's healthy for ANYBODY to go even TWO days without a bowel movement.

I believe that my son's bowels were stretched out from his constipation problems because now he seems to have bowel incontinence. He can't hold his poop for very long. If we're not close to a bathroom when he has to go, he will have an accident. He is regular now, though, goes at least once a day. It all changed when he finally started eating fruits and high-fiber foods. He started doing that around age 3, and now he's 5. I think our diets today lack in these areas so much that so many people have digestive problems. Also some medications (especially antibiotics) contribute to digestive problems, and make people more susceptible to infections too.

I'd recommend you start by looking at what your child is eating, or medications they are taking. Make sure they are getting enough fruits, veggies, and high fiber foods. Doctors can make things seem insignificant sometimes, but it is very essential for everyone to empty their bowels on a regular basis, that is one way we rid our bodies of wastes, and how could that not be necessary?

my daughter is 13 mo old...she was a preemie. now she is having severe pains and screams when she has a bowel movement...one doctor kept telling us to just give her water and she will be fine... water only worked for a little while...finally we got fed up and took her to the er at a different hospital and found out she needed to go to a specialist in gastric problems in children..... he gave her a special medicine and said that we need to try this for a month and if it doesn't work, we need to bring her back for blood tests and a colonoscopy... listen to me when i say this, as a parent and mother, you get a feeling when you need to do more than what people are telling you....if you feel in your gut that your child needs to be checked out by someone, don't listen to anyone else and take your child to be seen...if i had listened to everyone else, my child would still be suffering and not getting the help she needs.......good luck to you and your child and i will be praying for you and your child

I was also told that 10 day without a bowel movement was the limit a baby should go without having one.
If youwere breastfeeding, your baby is more likely to be constipated or just not defecate than if you were bottle feeding him/her.

Ten days is definately the limit, and I have been told that seven (or one week) is worth checking into. Just think, if that was you not going for a week - pain and discomfort could definately set in. Up the water intake and prunes if your child is able to eat baby food.

If it continues for more than seven days (and if it were me, more than just three days) take your child into the pediatrician. They welcome phone calls as well and most of the time the nurse can give you an at-home remedy over the phone and save you and your child a trip into the doctor's office.

Hi:
The important thing here is that your babies bowel movement habit changed. Changes from their normal patterns are what require attention, unless the patterns were not normal to begin with. Your baby, according to his/her normal schedule, is two days overdue. For an infant of that age, this is too long. The first thing you can do is call the pediatrician's office and let them answer the question. Most health offices have RNs (not LVNs or CNAs) that are available to answer questions. I would not go any longer with the question being answered. A constipated baby of that age can be extreemly miserable for the child. As he/she keeps eating, it becomes more of a problem and whatever is causing the diarrhea has not been elliminated. Babies systems are new, they cannot tolerate problems as older children or adults can. In addition, you are still learning about your baby. There may still be allergies and other things that have not been discovered because of the babies young age. Do not let constipation go on for more than a day without having contact with a pediatrician. Remember, the baby is not eliminating waste from his/her body. This can lead to much bigger problems.

The baby is three months old and is not getting anything else but the mothers milk or the formula. Yes, not defecating for a few days can be hard on the baby but is SO NORMAL for the newborns, there is no need to frighten the already frightened new mom.

Whoever you call and any pediatrician will tell you the same. There is nothing you can do but maybe massage the baby's stomach to ease the cramps when they occur.

A baby can have regular baby movements and then go without one in days-it is normal and happens to almost every baby.

just relieved myself over this problem with my 1 week old baby. She was not able to poo for around 3 days! I was about to schedule her to her pediatrician the next day but luckily my baby was able to catch up with the deadline when she defecated at dawn on that 4th day. I am purely breastfeeding her and I was told then that it is normal for a breastfed baby not to defecate for 3 days.

Great news!! Thanks for getting back to us. I'm sure that this will be helpful to all of the new moms and dads out there. Please continue to share your experience as a new mom. I look forward to seeing your posts. Take care.

am having this same issue my baby is 8weeks and she stared out having regular movements and then she went to once a day and now were r on the third day without any she keeps passing gas and it has a smell she is on breast and formula

am having this same issue my baby is 8weeks :(

My child is 4 years old now.. recently i realise he has hard stools and it takes quite long time to complate his bowel movement compared to usual. is this sign of constipation?