Do you believe in the "tough love" concept for family members? For example: If you have a sibling who has committed a crime, do you believe that he/she should be protected as in the "code of silence" idea or do you believe that he/she should be held accountable and face the consequences as a way of supporting their personal growth? What do you believe is fair for the victims? Protecting family members, at all costs, is believed to be one of the contributing factors to crime in our communities. Many people seem to have a blind desire to protect family members no matter what they have done. How do you feel about this?

If one of my family members commited a serious crime, i would have to hold them accountable for sure.
My daughter HAD a serious drug problem. Her drug of choice was heroin which she injected. Years of sadness and fear almost put me in the nut house. One day i got a call from someone, i still don't know who it was, telling me that she was at a Target store boosting big ticket items. I thought about it for, oh maybe 2 seconds and then called the sheriff. They picked her up after a long foot chase down a busy 4 lane highway. She spent 10 weeks in jail. Not only was she breaking the law but she was slowly killing herself. I had my own child arrested and do not regret one single minute of it. Would i have had her arrested if she was not an addict???...................i honestly can't answer that. If she had murdered someone, yes i would. Shoplifting, i really don't know. I did it to save her life and protect my sanity. She will celebrate 1 year sobriety on June 15 this year.

Yeah! Congratulations to you and her. I am of the same opinion. I don't see how a person can get better of develop character without consequences. I feel that this is a huge factor that is contributing to the demise of many of our communities. Unfortunately, some of our younger criminals are supporting households with their crimes and that is why many parents don't report them. I'd like to know what the thinking is in that situation. I am interested in hearing the opinion of others too. Your post will give some people a different perspective. Thanks

Well can we really divide crimes? I think it is in ones moral opinion that he is going to help someone in family hiding him from hands of justice.
bbfeet9, your story is every emotional and strong. Drugs are really bad, and can drive someone in the path of no return. But your daughter should be thankful to you for rest of her life. You made a very hard decision that helped your daughter.
I think that we live in a world where many things are bad, so we need to be clear minded and we have to make right decisions. I think many people don't know that by hiding someone you are really not helping him.
I had not been in any similar situation, but it would be very nice if some one shares some more stories with us.