My six years old uncircumcised son has chapped foreskin on his penis. I have noticed that last week while bathing him. He complained about pain in that area but I thought it will pass and that it is nothing serious. I talked to my friend and she says that she had the same problem and she had to take him to the doctor to have him circumcised. I really don’t feel comfortable with putting my little boy through the hassle of circumcision because I have heard that it has some bad sides too. Is there anything that I can do to deal with this problem or does he have to be circumcised?

Hi, I had the same problem with my, now already well grown up son when he was young and the circumcision was out of the option because of the pain and unnecessary hassle of the child. I remember that the doctor we went to gave him some antibiotic antibacterial cream and the chopping disappeared within a week or so. I think that chopped foreskin should disappear within few weeks by itself. Before going to the doctor try changing the diet, changing the soap you’re using, if you went to the public swimming pool too much chlorine could have caused chapping of the foreskin, also bubble baths have the same effect causing the sensitive foreskin to be chapped. If changing diet by throwing up sweets and changing hygiene habits doesn’t help then you should ask the doctor to give you some kind of an antibiotic, circumcision is the last option in this case, it is totally unnecessary since this is nothing serious that can't be dealt with a simple antibiotic therapy.

It is absolutely NOT advised to have your son circumcised because of some pain in that area. Circumcision is a very damaging, hurtful, and injurious operation with lifelong adverse sexual and psychological effects. It should be avoided.

It is likely that his foreskin is separating from the underlying glans penis to which it is fused a birth.

When the separation is complete, the pain will end.