Son is age 10. Has had recurrent headaches with minor sinus symptoms for 3 months. Treated with antibiotics without relief of symptoms. All blood work unremarkable. Onset of headaches random. External ears become bright red and hot to the touch. At times he is slightly febrile, but not always. Pain is described as dull and has had different levels of affecting his ability to walk and to eat. Sometimes he can only have liquids until the pain subsides. The sight of food or smell of food during this type headache episode has caused severe nausea and sometines vomiting. Once pain in head subsides, food is no longer an issue. Sometimes the pain causes him to have to immediately sit down after standing and he can not stand until pain subsides. He has shown signs of early puberty with hair growth on legs and in genital area and uses deodorant to control sweat. These symptoms have become increasingly more frequent with almost constant headache over the last 3 months. The headache is sometimes relieved by analgesics, and sometimes it is not.
We do have 3 dogs (chihuahuas) and one cat-calico. He had not shown any sensitivities to them on allergy testing. We do live in tropical state. Testing for Lyme disease was done and was negative. Activity and eating patterns are normal when headache is under a certain threshold level for him. Doctors keep saying it is cold/flu and either give cold medicines or antibiotics which have not helped.

I hope by now you have found the source of your son's headaches and the rest. If not, take him to a neurologist or headache center and see if it is related to a headache problem. Some headaches cause various symptoms, including nausea (migraines for example) and some of the other symptoms you describe. Good luck.

I know this may sound crazy, but I think you should insist that your 10 year old son has a complete workup to rule out some kind of lymphoma.... maybe hodgkins. The headaches, flushing, nausea, all sound very familiar to me... he could have a CT scan with and without contrast.... but you must be sure it is read by a competent neuroradiologist. I wish you luck and I pray that I am wrong.... but I will tell you.... act quickly.

Don't forget that children like to fake illness. I'm not doubting the fact that he might get these migraines, but if he got them once, and realized how much attention he got he might play it out to get more attention. If you know thats not the case, then I hope you find the source. No one deserves to go through pain like that at such an early age.