Hello, this is my first post and I hope to be a productive member of this community.

I'm 24, male, overweight, don't smoke or drink. I had various GI issues beginning a month ago that eventually settled into a couple of symptoms after I began self-treating with ranitidine (zantac) and omeprazole (prilosec). In spite of a month of treatment with acid reducers, I still often get what feels like a burning sting or a stitch under my lower right ribs. The pain isn't constant, and it's not severe, and it usually seems to come either at night or several hours after I've eaten. Sometimes eating a meal will make the sensation go away for a while if it's there when I begin eating. Now and again the pain will be on the left rather than the right. Everything I read seems to indicate that this is likely an ulcer, but having never had one before, I'm not really sure what to expect and I have some other concurrent health issues that make me wonder if it's my stomach at all.

For one thing, I'm aware that the bacteria h.pylori causes many ulcers and that antibiotics are necessary for treatment, but my doctor has turned me down twice for any kind of testing and simply prescribed me ranitidine for three months. Because of this, I don't know now if I have the bacteria and whether or not my ulcer will ever heal if I don't kill the bacteria, even if I'm using an acid reducer to promote healing. Also, I can't seem to get a definitive time frame for how long it takes for an ulcer to heal so that I can know when to go back to the doctor in case the pain doesn't go away within that time frame. I've never had GI distress that's lasted this long. I should also note that I've had no nausea, vomiting, bloody or black stool associated with this distress, and virtually no reflux.

There are some things that don't seem very "ulcer-like" that make me wonder if this is possibly something different, though. I've had a few strange bowel movements recently that just seem very "off" and concerning. Floating stool, stool that breaks apart easily, stool that's sort of "tan" instead of brown. This week I've had one that was pale yellow, and then one just today that is maybe the most concerning of all, a cloud of loose, fluffy, almost "mulch"-like stool which sunk to the bottom of the bowl while a layer of thick, yellow, bubbly liquid rose to the top. I'm concerned that stool like this and like the "pale yellow" stool possibly indicate a problem with my pancreas, gallbladder, or liver due to what seem like problems with how bile is being mixed into my stool.

Blood work I received a week ago indicated that I had two slightly elevated liver enzymes (A/G ratio of 2.3 and ALT of 65) and my doctor believes I have fatty liver, and I'm getting an ultrasound in a few days to confirm this diagnosis. But the wonder lingers in the back of my mind as to whether or not something wrong will be found with one of my organs unexpectedly due to these bile issues. For the first time since I started taking the ranitidine I had terrible burning and gnawing in my stomach and esophagus last night, so something was very wrong with my digestion the night before I passed that stool.

I also lost eight pounds in the past week, however I've had extreme anxiety and a very decreased appetite due to that anxiety, and I believe this to be the cause.

So, does this all sound like it still fits under the umbrella of an ulcer, or do any of you with experience on GI issues think it could be something else? All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Hey dude, I just want to say that i went through something similar. I had weird gi issues for like 2 months, abdominal pain, gas, weird poos, strange nightly constipated feeling every nite, lost wieght(though i was anxious about it and ate less). So a month ago i went and had a colonoscopy. It came back fine. the symptoms lasted for a few weeks after though and now they are gone. I also have some of the sypmtoms you have described, i have a burning pain in the pit of my stomache, i have had it on and off for five years, i went to a gi, who was not helpful, he told me i had acid reflux and to take some strong percription meds..i didnt take them. I still have weird stabbing stomache pains, i still get weird poo. I get bloated very easy..so I am gonna see a natro path, i read this book called, '' no more heartburn'' by Dr. Sherry Rogers. It was excellent, it said that all the gi problems, from canker sores to stomache pain to hemroids are all connected. And that taking percription meds just makes it worse cause it doesnt actually treat the underlying condition it just masks the symptoms and then the frickin condition gets worse! so, she says to get the H.pylori test for sure, then also try a leaky gut test, a candida test and a food allergy test. She says these conditions can cause all those symptoms. There were a few other tests but those were the main ones. I am about to embark on that and have high hopes for it. The book is super thourough and makes so much sense. I should mention i am young, healthy otherwise, fit and have a mostly vegan diet...so i want to get to the bottom of this too! keep ya posted! good luck=)

Get your iron levels tested...iron overload is major problem, genetic and rarely diagnosed early. Can cause the fatty liver, elevated liver enzymes, many of the other symptoms you describe...get ferritin, transferrin saturation%, TIBC and serum iron tested. Early detection is key, and the abdominal pain and stool changes are significant...take care

If your eating GMO foods not organic Vegetables this may be your problem. My family went on a two week diet of nothing but ORGANIC foods from veggies to meats, I felt 12 years younger I also drank my tea with organic honey in the mornings with cinimin it was great we could not afford the organic stuff after two weeks and guess what happpened hubby could not go to the bathroom and my kids and I could not stay out of the bathroom when we ate normal food from the grocery stores, DOCs know what s going on they just cant tell us. DE POPULATION the WAY OF MONSANTO

i am very anti GMO and eat strictly organic and i can tell you that it does not make a difference.

Hi, I am suffering from exactly the same problem. The docs gave me those acid pump inhibitor pills and told me I had acid reflux / gastritis. But like you I didn't take the pills. My stools have now become yellow and I am worrying it's something to do with me pancreas. Did you ever find a solution? I've had this problem for more than 6 months now. I'm going to the doctors on Monday to demand they do some tests on me and stop trying to guess what I have. If they fob me off with the usual, don't worry its probably nothing, lets try this medication or that medication, I will have to go private and get the tests done as I can't take the worry anymore. I have been on a clean organic diet since these problems started too.

possibly what some of you are suffering from in gallbladder related. tests to determine the cause are abdominal ultrasound, possibly abdominal CT, or endoscopy to rule out ulcer and h.p bacteria.

Check for cellulitis. I believe Gluten free diet is the answer. I have the same thing going on, My liver enzymes are high too, My Dr said