I am 35 years old woman and recently I had abdominoplasty. Everything went ok with the surgery. However, what is worrying me is that I have noticed swelling in that area. Can I get more info?

Abdominoplasty is a very slow to heal procedure and it is everything but not simple. The swelling that you are experiencing is normal, but you should definitely be in contact with your doctor. Abdominoplasty is the surgery of the abdomen to remove the excess skin and fat that may accumulate after pregnancy, obesity or age. The benefits of this procedure are tightening of the abdominal muscles that may have become stretched out over years. After the swelling subsides and the drains are taken out you will start to see a difference. You can not expect the results right away. You must realize that this procedure is very complicated and that the underlying tissues have been cut. Abdominoplasty is considered a very invasive procedure. You need to give your body time to heal and after some time you will see the difference.

I had a abdominoplasty four weeks ago and just had the drains out a week ago. Boy what a difference the drain removal has made. Never had any swelling of the abdomin area but where the drains were is quite interesting looking. The groin area is swollen and the huge holes are tender. I had three drains in and two torn together into one huge hole. Not fun! Every week I get smaller and smaller, so just hang in there. This is a big deal and surgery takes time to heal.

Hello I just had mu tummy tuck and boy recovery is a little tuff, The swelling in the lower abdomin concerned me also

My abdominoplasty was almost 11 weeks ago and things are looking more normal...this surgery takes way more time to recover from then I imagined, but completely worth every pain or discomfort. My recovery was some what interupted because at 5 weeks post-op I had a face lift and lipo of my thighs and abdomen. The lipo of my abdomen caused swelling and a set back in the apperance of my nearly flat tummy ( OH WELL!!) I was sore and black and blue from my ears to my knees. All surgeries take time to recovery from and I'm learning there are no short cuts. Make friends with your binders and wear them for at least three months and remember to down-size your garment as they become loose. (The Nurses at your Surgeons Office will order them for you if they do not have the one you need or is the most comfortable for you, make sure it extends past the bruising of your surgery site or lipo) ) If you opt to have the lipo of a adjoining area then choose the second date of surgery to start counting from to wear the binder. I also have learned to sleep with your legs slightly elevated after thigh lipo to decrease swelling and allow the small incisiions to heal quicker without the added pressure of the swelling. My Surgeon told me "Don't be a Hero" and take the pain pills for as long as you need them and he was absolutely right. Even feeling discomfort gets old after awhile. Good Luck and keep me updated as to your progress and think B-I-K-I-N-I....!

Thanks for the response back I was a little scared I look like I'm three months pregnant. I wasn't sure how long it would last

I had liposuction on my arms and legs three months ago and they are still numb...anyone had this proglem.

Sorry to tell you this, but I had abdominoplasty about 5 years ago and I still have some numbness. The doctor said that the numbness could be temporary or permanent.

Guest wrote:

T wrote:

Yes, me too. I had the abdominoplasty about 8 months and I am just as numb now as then and still has a lot of discomfort. I am disappointed because I was told by the doctor that everything should be back to normal fully by 6 months at the most. Also, I stomach is still looking like Im about 7 months pregnant.

hey, i jus had a 6.5 hour procedure which was a repair of the diastasis/hernia, a tummy tuck, abdominal plasty, lipo, and removal of some fat pad(frontal vagina).... four days out of surgery, i started swelling, bruising, and feeling weak!!! i went to the emergency room nd found to be out of blood!!! normal is 12, i was 4... they put four pints in, and i went home the next day... a week later drains came out and i looked swollen... stomach is lopsided, hard as rock, bruised, and itchy as hell... I JUS WANNA SLEEP ON MY SIDE.... im a month out and now im getting alot of light bloody discharge and the scare is blueish red... GONNA CALL THE DOCTOR TOMMOROW... i notice the swelling is getting less, the scare is healing great, and i got 10 pounds till im at the same weight as when i went in.... I PUT MY FIRST PAIR OF JEANS ON THE OTHER DAY....that was uncomfortable.... im irratated with the BINDER... plus i have to ad a towel in there to help get rid of the swelling, along with the bandages(feminen pads) to catch the ooooze.... AND THEN TO TOP IT ALL OFF.... I GOT AN IMPTIENT SEX DEPRIVED HUSBAND, BEGGING:) anyway, for me, some days are better than others, but its all worth it!!! for 20 years, i have lived looking pregnant, all 5 of my kids were almost 10lbs, one 11lbs, and twins combined 16lbs... the bulge never went away... FINALLY, ITS GONE

I am so pleased to have read all of the above. I am only 3 weeks post TT and feel 4 months pregnant! I have had low blood count which accounts for all tiredness and that is picking up now but I really really want to be out of joggers and back into normal clothes.

I HAD ABDOMINALPLASTY TO REVISE AN OLD CESEARN SCAR ALONG WITH ABDOMINAL HYSTERECTOMY. I HAD TO HAVE AN ABDOMINAL HYSTERECTOMY SECONDARY TO SCAR TISSUE THAT HAD ADHEARED MY UTEREUS TO MY ABDOMEN. I CAN SAY THAT I WAS TOTALLY SHOCKED WHEN I SAW THE SCAR AND MY NAVEL. MAN I CANT FIGURE THIS NAVEL THING OUT. WHAT IS GOOD AND BAD TISSUE AND WHAT WILL IT LOOK LIKE IN THE END. I HAD SURGERY ON JUNE THE 11, ITS NOW JUNE THE 30 AND ALL I SEE IS A HOLE WITH LOTS OF WHITE TISSUE, DOESNT LOOK LIKE A NAVEL. MY DOCTOR IS NOT MUCH HELP, JUST SAYS YOU MAY WANT TO STICK SOME GAUZE IN THERE, IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME. IF I KNEW FOR SURE IT WOULD HEAL CORRECTLY, I WOULDNT WORRY SO MUCH. I DO HAVE LOTS OF LOWER ABDOMEN SWELLING BUT SEEM TO BE HEALING OK. I DIDNT EXPECT ALL THE FLUID BUILD UP BUT I DIDNT ASK A WHOLE LOT OF QUESTIONS EITHER. SHOULD HAVE THOUGH. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE NAVEL AREA, NEED SOME FEED BACK PLEASE.

I am nearly 4 weeks post op abdominoplasty. This week has been hell. Have done very well till now, scar perfect handlebar no leaks and my belly button is georgous. But fluid has been taken out 3times by syringe and last week by needle & ultra sound. I am swollen and so tight, and really over it now. Worried that I will end up needing further surgery due to psuedo-bursa caused by continual fluid needing to be removed. Preop I did lots of research but not heard of psuedo-bursa, till now after trawling the net for info. back to DR tomorrow.
%-)

Hi all I am about to undergo my second tummy tuck....my first was in 1981....and it was badly done....I was left very uneven with one side twice the size of the other...and then I gained all my weight back....5 years ago I started a new way of life...proper diet and regular excercise...I lost 140 lbs..and have kept it off ....now I am ready to show off my new hard body.... surgery is booked for may 5 this year... even knowing the pain will be intense...I can hardly wait...I am finding this site a very helpfull and encouraging place to be,,,,I will be here often...sirq

I had an abdominal plasty 5 years ago and I'm still suffering from the internal scar pain which happens once in a while at the abdominal area. It comes like an acute cramp of the abdomen. Had checked with the doctor and it seems like I will have to live with it forever or have a another surgery to remove the scar tissue that had build up internally.