Hi everybody. I'm 23 and have been trying to conceive for almost a year. I’ve had abnormal menstral periods ever since I stopped taking birth control pills – since 4 years ago. During first 15-16 months, my periods came every 3 months, but now it got closer to normal - every month or so, and sometimes even after three weeks. Moreover, during my period I experience intense pain and heavy flow. There is a history of endometriosis in my family so I’m worried that I may never be able to conceive. I had all kinds of tests by now and the doctors told me I would become normal again within six months to a year but that did not happen and now they don't know what to do with me. Could anybody here suggest something? Thank you.

Dear, I’m very sorry to hear all that. But, don’t lose hope – I’m sure you’ll have a baby in the end. What you need to do now is a full endocrine work-up especially to have your prolactin levels checked. You will also need an endrometrial biopsy to rule out endometrial hyperplasia (because of your irregular periods). The strong family history and symptoms you’ve described are all suggestive of endometriosis so you may need to have a laparoscopy as well. Ask your doctor if he/she can do those things for you and offer you the proper therapy. I’m sure that he/she will find an answer and good therapy for you. Good luck.