Hello! I’m 26 and I used to be a normal person (and still am). I’ve finished college and have a job I like. About a year and a half ago I was diagnosed with depression and until today I’m not sure what had causes it and why it happened to me. And though I got recovered (if there’s a depression recovery, anyway) I still live in fear that the depression would knock on my door again and wonder if all this is going to affect my life?

Hi! I perfectly understand that fear of yours. I was diagnosed with depression many years ago? Do I feel better now? Well, I don’t feel that great like before the depression hit me, but generally I feel ok. I guess you’re still in recovery period, it takes time and if treated right and on time you’ll have a long run effects. There’re many causes to depression but the first one to be blame are neurotransmitters- chemicals that carries signals in your brain and nerves and when their balance is interrupted than you have this depression effect. Of course there’re some other factors too, that may cause the depression: family history, stress and trauma, pessimistic character, physical condition (organic illness) or other psychological disorders. Wonder how I helped myself? Besides the most important steps to recovery – medical care and therapy, there’re also some self-help steps that really helped me out. You need to learn how to control it and how to live with it. Important is to recognize early signs of depression and to help yourself with drugs, otherwise you risk to become depressed again. You need to avoid stressful situations, making big decisions, alcohol and do a lot of exercise three times a week for 20-30minutes. In one word behave normally, go out with your friends, take a walk, go watch some movie and do what you enjoy.