it is ONLY during my period that i experience a sharp pain during a bowel movement. it can be when i am just gassy (passing gas) or on the toilet about to do a BM. i don't have this pain during any other time (not before or after my period) but only during my period. the pain is sharp, lasts anywhere up to about 20 seconds, and feels like it is somewhere inside my colon...not my uterus. i'm scared what could be going on in my insides...

does anyone have an answer for this? This is sortve like my problem....

sunshine11 wrote:

it is ONLY during my period that i experience a sharp pain during a bowel movement. it can be when i am just gassy (passing gas) or on the toilet about to do a BM. i don't have this pain during any other time (not before or after my period) but only during my period. the pain is sharp, lasts anywhere up to about 20 seconds, and feels like it is somewhere inside my colon...not my uterus. i'm scared what could be going on in my insides...[/quote

i have the same problem, and would like an answer too!

Hi - I know this is a bit late, but this could be attributed to endometriosis. See a gynecologist, mention your symptoms, and ask specifically about endometriosis.

I went in for an ultra sound today. I'll let you know what the results say when I get them, but this is so painful for me. I know I'm not gassy or even constipated. It's just the act of going to the bathroom that does this and I feel like someone is ripping me apart!

Do you get the results back from your ultrasound? I have this same issue, and it is so incredibly painful. Unfortunately, I don't have insurance right now so I can't see a doctor. But I am afraid that it may be endometriosis.

I am 6 weeks post op for the same pain. My endometriosis caused so much pain that I opted for a hysterectomy (age 45). During the surgery my ob/gyn was shocked to find a large mass that had fused my uterus to my colon. Another surgeon was called in on the spot to do a colon resection. He is a very noted surgeon and told me I was only the second patient he had ever had with this type of endometrial mass. The colon did not heal well and 4 days later I was back for emergency surgery. I had to have an ileostomy bag put on to allow the colon to heal. I anticipate a reversal surgery for the ileostomy in the next few weeks. I read horror stories about the recovery from that.

I also get these pains but they can sometimes last a few days getting them loads of times each day with them lasting from a few seconds to sometimes an hour or more. I can only get them to ease with taking nurafen every few hours. I've also noticed pain when I bend over. It can be quite agonising. I have had cysts removed in the past and I'm due to go back and have a smear test as the last one showed abnormalities even though the 1 previous was clear but was only 6 months prior. I also get pre period pains during ovolation and for a few days before my period starts. It doesn't help that I have prostaglandin problems so feel pain more severly than most people. As I've always had problems of this kind I'm not being a hypochondric and panicking about cancer but it has got to the stage where I just want a proper diagnosis and the right treatment so that I don't have to face this for another 20 years as I'm only 31.

endometriosis with bowel adhesions. I have the same thing. it sucks!

I had a similar problem before I had kids and when I was recovering from the second labor.. Now I got Mirena IUD inserted 2 days ago and the same pain has returned and is even worse. I don't know what to do. It feels like stabbing from insides. The only time I feel good when I am laying down. Anyone knows the answer what could it be?

I was diagnosed with endometriosis after it caused an intussuseption in my bowel (basically my bowel was swallowing itself), I had always had bowel pain and frequent movement during my period, but then five years years ago I had the cramping pain for approximately 4 weeks straight, it was even keeping me up at night and in the end I was throwing up from it, the cause was finally diagnosed through a CT scan after several trips to the emergency rooms of various hospitals, apparently if it was left much longer I would have died from perforation of the bowel. Horrible stuff. Please don't let that kind of pain persist, you just never know what is going on in there.
Two years ago I had to have advanced laparoscopy to clear out the endo in my pelvic area, I was then left with nerve damage to my bladder and bowel, which both are very sluggish in their function. I never thought endo could create such problems!
Make sure you demand to get referred for ultrasounds and further investigations if it just doesn't feel right.
I am 36 and now contemplating IVF this year, we'll see what happens, fingers crossed!

I just called the DR for the same thing. I have a history of cyst and this pain only started after I had my daughter.

Oh this sounds like me.. I have horrible pains in my lower tummy and in my behind like it feels horrible.
And feels like it happens all the time while i have my period. Its horrid, i also have heavy heavy period.
I am going to see a womens health doctor on Friday :S i hope i do not have endometriosis. I dont want
a laparoscopy either. :S im so scared of all these things..

I am getting ready for my second endometrial laparoscopy. It's been 5 years since my first surgery. The first time I had endo on my ovary. This time it's on my bowel. The doctor was able to feel the nodules during a pelvic exam. I'm a little afraid of the whole bowel thing, but I have horrendous pain and just want it to go away. When I try to have a bowel movement during my period or at ovulation time, it feels like my intestines are going to fall out....Anyone else feel like that?

Guest 99..I feel the same about feeling like your intestines are falling out! I have never been diagnosed with endo, I have a tilted uterus and have had 3 c-sections and I wonder if it's adhesions? I only get it during ovulation and the first days of my period...crippling pain during bm, with gas and when I finish peeing?? Never had this before...it just started after I weaned my youngest in Feb. We have been trying for # 4 for 8 months now and nothing, it's NEVER taken this long for me to get prego. I am 33 and healthy...jog all the time. Could this pain have to do with an underlying fertility issue? My doctor is performing an HSG to look at my tubes next week....but I think I need a Lap? Please if anyone has experienced this an gotten a diagnosis let me know! We are hoping to have at least one more child....and each month that I get my period it's the same....... :cry: