Hi everybody!
I am 47 and entering my menopause. The problem is that I am experiencing heavy and excessive bleeding and have very long menstral period. Is this supposed to be normal for my stage?

Heavy and long menstrual bleedings are normal among premenopausal women. I hope you visit your gyn regular.
How exactly long are those excessive bleeding? Mine, for example were taking place even for 2 weeks and they were excessive. Then nothing for following 3 months and then again… I was pouring! Horrible! Nothing could stop it. My bed was all messy, I had to buy another mattress, so trust me, I know what you mean.
I am sure you’ll be fine soon!

Phew...I am 47 as well, I missed 3 periods, and then I got this one, and it's been going on for a month.. I am not getting any cramps or back pain, but sweet cracker sandwich when will it end.. went to gyno and she says left ovary 12 ml larger than the standard but she says this is prolly cuz it was not functioning well seeing as I missed 3 periods.. She doesn't want to do the pap smear until the period has stopped. Has anyone else had this response?

:$I have had my period for more 21 days and I am only 43yrs young. I went to my doctor's and he put me on the pill. I had to go to emerg. dept on the 9 day as I thought I was hemerging but they gave me estregin for 10 days and then told me to start to take the pill as my doctor had presribed. Today(June17, 2008) is 21 days of a consist bleeding, using a super plus tampon plus a heavy pad. I feel exhausted and weak.....I need a doctor who will help with this situation but know one seems to listen to me!

Well im 42 and have had a period as of tomorrow 7 wks. I took a depo provera shot hoping it would make it stop. But no luck...im so scared...ive always been regular...I thought it might be my iud might be the blame...ive had it for 3 yrs...but still no luck...my doctor wants me to wait until dec. if it still persists he says he'll do a d and c. I just hope its not cancer.

Well as for me i have been on my period for 45 days i thought it might have been a miscarrage at first but i gues not is this normal i am only 25 years old

:cry: i am also wondering what is could be going on i thought that maybe it was just me i have went to 3 different docs and the first told me there was nothing wrong it would stop in a few days never did so i found another doc and he ran every test under the sun and when they came back he said that everything looked great even the bi-op and after that it just stopped for a week was very happy had done been bleeding for 30days it stayed gone for just for that week and now here i go again bleeding again now for almost 3 months and i am at my 3rd doc and she put on the pill nothing happen and then she put on provera still nothing and the bleeding is gettin worst and now i am starting to have cramps and clotting VERY badly never had cramps before but always clotted reg.so now i have an app. wit the 3rd doc on fri again and god only knows what she is gonna tell me this time i just want it to stop PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPPPPP

I am 42 and have been on my period for 14 days today. It is very heavy. I am using super tampons and having to change it every 1.5 hours. I am also having to wear a pad as big as a diaper. I am passing some very big clots but no cramping. My usual period is 5 days medium flow with some cramping. I have to admit that cancer has crossed my mind but I am thinking it might just be perimenopause. What ever it is I have had enough! If it has not stopped by Monday I will call the doctor and try to make an appointment.

I understand how you all feel. I am wondering whether the medical profession is getting lazy or are clueless. I am 41 and have been bleeding off and on.. more on then off.. very heavily for over a month. I have been tested for anemia and that is positive but no low iron count.. go figure! Getting answers is a real pain.. they know less then me!! I have concerns as this is not normal and I am sure that any female GP or GYN who has experienced this would have some sympathy. I have been given some hope though.. Vitex.. a natural herb which is suppose to rebalance your hormone levels. I am going to give it a try and see if the results are favorable. Will keep you all posted.

I have been bleeding for 14 extremely heavy days, have a doc appt tomorrow, from what I just read. looks like they won't be able to help me. I have had clots the size of two table spoons at a time. For the first week of bleeding I had no cramps, now however, the cramps have started. I can't keep enough pads in my purse for a full work day. I feel like this will never stop. And reading about other with 30 to 45 days really scares me. I wish doctors would take female issues seriously.

:-D hi mam actually i m in huge trouble related with period.i have my periods in after 15 days in months back so what can i do?dat flow was in clotting form.i hav taken too much medicine but there was no hope...

I am feeling a little better than I'm not alone in the world. Having been having a period for 31 days now with 20+ of those days very heavy with just tons of clots (the clots make the accident-causing gushing uncontrollable). Doesn't help when you work in an outdoor job with mostly men....
My Dr. wants to do an ultrasound, but otherwise doesn't sound like she'll offer other help if ultrasound is normal. I want to find a way to balance the hormones to make this stop.

I thought menopause was what I was going through, it was certainly what the doctor indicated, because I was going for almost a year with no period.
I am 51 years old. But last week I starttd to get a period again. An its not like they used to be, no clots but very runny and fast flowing at times to the point I am afraind to go out in public becuase its like haviung now control over my bladder except its a period. Worst when I get up in the morning. I mean its nice to know I am not alone but it is definitely ruing my quality fo life. I can forget taking a hike of any sort because Id have to go of in the bush and change my tampon every15 minutes . Im frustrated and angry and worried.

54 years old and have the same problem-bleeding for 5 months and one break.2 weeks of nothing and it's back again-doctors aren't much help-I am extremly anemic and have to take iron and an esrtogen replacement -twice a day -every day.Still nothing.

%-) I KNO HOW ALL U GUYS FEEL IM 21 YRS OLD I'VE BEEN ON MY PERIOD FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS NOW, IM REALLY SCARED. BUT READING ABOUT EVERYONE ELES MAKES ME FEEL A LIT BIT BETTER I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD THAT WAS GOING THROUGH THIS HORRIBLE PROBLEM. I TOO THOUGHT IT WAS A MISSCARAGE BUT SOMETHING SHOULD HAVE HAPPEN BY NOW. FROM THE SOUND OF IT GOING TO THE DOCTORS WILL KIND OF BE A WAIST OF TIME IF THEY COULDN'T FIX WHAT'S WRONG WITH U GUYS BUT IMMA GO AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY AND ILL KEEP U GUYS POSTED!