This started about 4 years ago. I developed a sort of paranoia about using the toilet with other people around, so I ended up "holding it in" many times. Then I'd get constipated, and eventually I was always constipated and bowel movements became painful, and when I did finally make one it was abnormally wide and ended up clogging the toilet many times. We ended up buying a plunger because of me! I tried to drink more water, eat more fiber, eat healthier, etc, and I am a little less constipated nowadays but I still make very big bowel movements and I am afraid I have messed up my digestive system for life. Is it possible by chronically holding it in for a few years that I have stretched out my intestines and made them wider because they got used to holding it in instead of going when I needed to? Or what else is going on? Please help me as this is such an embarassing problem.

My son is 18 and as far back as i can remember, he always had large bm's, we would keep a plunger in the closet with his name on it..lol. On a funny note, he went to a Blockbuster Video store one nite to rent some movies, well he had to c**p so the staff let him use their toilet. He clogged the john so bad that the back of the store flooded and they had to close up until the mess got taken care of, he was so ashamed. I thought it was a little funny but tried not to let him see me snicker.
The Doctor told him to take stool softners. He still makes for big poos, but they are not so bulky, the stool softner kind of breaks down feces to a muddy consistancy, making it easier on your bum. Don't use a lot of paper, wipe once, flush and wipe some more if you have to. TP can help clog the toilet. He used to hold himself as well, but over time he has learned that when ya gotta go..ya gotta go. Don't use a straight up laxative, you'll end up crappin your brains out.

look irritable bowel syndrome