A couple of years ago I used to hold in my poop because we lived in a small apartment and I was embarrased to go with other people around. I got really constipated and one time didn't go for over a week. This happened several times and ever since then I'm always constipated and when I do finally go it's really big, and hard and bloody, and I'm very worried I've wrecked my entire digestive system. It's always really hard to go, even though I eat fiber and pretty healthy stuff, it's like my body is holding it in even though I don't need it to anymore, it always hurts so much. What does it mean? Is there any self-treatment? Please help.

Are you also drinking enough water? If you have a high fiber diet you need to consume sufficient water to hydrate the fiber and facilitate easier bowel movements. If you continue to have problems, consider a stool softener. This is not a laxative, it is different. It is not addictive and will not, in and of itself, cause you to have bowel movements. It will simply help soften the stool and make bowel movements eaiser.