My two year old has had a problem for over a year of passing his stools. He strains so hard only to get a stain or soft nugget in his diaper. This happens up to 8 to 9 times in a day. He hates getting his diaper changed and it is often because of the odor and I don't want him to get sore. I have read several articles about children holding the poopies in, but this is not his problem. He tries very hard only to get, most of the time, very little. He is a wonderful eater of any veggies and fruit. Can this be a muscle that is not working? Please help, where do I go for help. My doctor only suggests bowel softner products. HE IS NOT CONSTIPATED! Sometimes after 5 days, lots of water, karo syrup in everything,he usually passes soft clay like poopies and then we start all over again.

Our two and a half year old has similar behaviours to what you are describing.  Did you ever find a solution?  We have been given the same advice as you - stool softeners, but after a couple of weeks there is no real change.  Would really appreciate some help with this.