I was diagnosed last May with colon cancer and had the colon reconstruction in May of 08. All went well with the surgery, however, I am having problems getting my system regulated. I am having very irregular bowel movements. It's either I'm going all day long or I get blocked up and end up back in the hospital. Has anyone experienced this kind of problem after this type of surgery? My doc has tried all kinds of remedies from Activia, to drugs, and to this point in time, nothing has worked.

Gussy 123.
I had this operation five years ago, and have had this problem ever since,
as you say it is either being constipated or going to the toilet every few minutes for half a day until there is nothing left to go for, this does get you down and I did get quite depressed until I took the what is to be attitude, however I would so like to get back to normal, and was hoping someone would come up with an answer as Specialists/Doctors cannot.

My mother has colon cancer and she just got her bowel reconstructed, how long dose the actual nerve take to start working so that she can have an actual bowel movment.

My mom has had a Hartmann resection due to a diverticular abces. She has had a colon reconstruction one year ago and since then she has the same problems as you..very irregular bowel movements. It takes her half o day to solve this problem, going to the toilet every few minutes. Following the discussion with the surgeon and the X-ray exam with barium a stenosis has been discovered at the anastomosis level. This stenosis can have different causes, but most probably it has been caused by imperfect closure of anastomosis. The surgeon has assured her that the lumen may be enlarged by endoscopic intervention. To reduce the pains that sometimes are very intense she uses imediately a semi-liquid diet.

try Immodium AD I have had 2 reconstructions and it works.

I've had colon reconstruction and nothing has been the same since but not nearly the issues you have. I've noticed thing run smoother when I started to use Super Green food in a powder form. It seems to give me more energy as well. I don't know how it works but if you can get around the taste maybe give it a try. I find putting it in juice works well.

I have the same problems after my surgery 3 years ago. I started out taking 30+ fiber pills a day. Thats what it took to stop having diarhea and going constantly. I now take 1 colestipol pill with 5 fiber pills twice a day. I still have days that I go a little quite alot. But no diarhea. I also don't eat other than a snack here-n-there when I go out for the day/evening and wait till right at quitting time to eat when I am at work(as I have to go within minutes of eating).  I eat very little of veggis(very very little amounts of cabbage)/fruits(no coconuts ever).

I eat a lot of high fiber foods and foods with protein. My doctor told me to try a suppository before I go out but that made things worse, so I quit doing that. Haven't yet found anything thou that will actually let me control my movements( when I have to go there isn't much warning, I just start going). So yes I wear diapers at work and when I go out for the day/evening. I just deal with it. Its terrible but its what I have to live with. Hope this helps you.

wOULD PRO BIOTICS WORK?

I had colon cancer surgery in 1997. Initially stools were either hard or gritty liquid. I would sh*t when I'd laugh or cough or hit a tennis ball and at night if I didn't clear my bowels first. I think that took several years to really improve to the point I don't think about it. My current regimen is, at breakfast, a largish dose of psyllium fiber in orange juice followed by a glass of water, totaling 24-32 oz.; at lunch and dinner, Mirilax in a large glass of water. Also drink a glass of water mid-morning, afternoon and evening if possible. When travelling I've taken 5 psyllium capsules 3x/day and I wind up like in the beginning, so I have to keep up the mirilax. The Costco mirilax clone is half the price. Amazon has been sending me plain psyllium powder, but I think I like the coarse psyllium husk better. Metamucil has that awful orange taste, as do many store brands. -- /Andyh