how do you feel...do you really feel better or do you feel the same...how long has it been since your one parathyroid removal...i'm due to have surgery 4/2/08....are you taking calcium and vitamin D? is there an alternative to not getting the surgery?

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW THEY FEEL AFTER HAVING ONE PARATHYROID REMOVED....WHAT TYPE OF PAIN WERE YOU IN BEFORE YOU HAD THE SURGERY....I HAVE NO PAIN, BUT MY CALCIUM IS HIGH 11.1, MY PTH IS HIGH 150... AND MY VITAMIN D IS LOW 18.....
I WANT TO HAVE THE SURGERY, BUT I NEED TO KNOW COULD SOMETHING ELSE IN MY BODY BE CAUSING MY PARATHYROID TO ACT OUT???? I HAD A TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY MARCH 2004....
PLEASE TALKE TO ME!!!!

If you're asymptomatic and have a minimally invasive procedure (MIP or MIRP), you'll probably be fine - you'll need to take calcium for a few weeks because they'll probably biopsy all your glands, though, and your normal parathyroid glands have gone dormant - you said that they already found the bad one on a scan. So they'll take that one out and check the rest of them. Total surgery time: Maybe 30 minutes.

If you haven't lost any bone mass, then you won't have to take calcium for a long time - just til your other parathyroids kick in. I have a 1-1/2 inch scar (big for this) because they couldn't locate my tumour on a scan. Since they found yours, you'll probably have a smaller incision, but with a plastic surgery close it'll fade out to almost nothing.

If you have the regular (not minimally invasive) surgery, you'll have a scar of maybe 2 inches, the surgery could take a couple hours, and you may have to spend the night in hospital.

Either way, they will give you some morphine just before you wake up, and the worst of the hurt is that your neck and shoulders will feel a bit stiff for a few days to a couple of weeks, and you might get a headache.

If you don't get the tumour out, you know the drill: kidney disease, heart disease, stroke, higher risks of kidney, breast, and colon cancers, and osteoporosis.

The surgery itself isn't a big deal. Most of us who've taken some time to recover were the people who had really bad symptoms from it. And no, I'm not fully well, but I'm better than I was.

Given that you have high calcium, high PTH, and a positive sestamibi scan, which equals parathyroid adenoma, it's unlikely in the extreme that something else is causing your hypercalcaemia.

PLEASE TELL ME....I HAD A TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY MARCH 2004...IS IT POSSIBLE THAT I ACQUIRED OSTEOPENIA BECAUSE I WAS NOT ON ANY HORMONE TREATMENT???? IS IT POSSIBLE THAT I ACQUIRED A BAD PARATHYROID WHICH HAS TO BE REMOVED BECAUSE I WAS NOT ON ANY HORMONE TREATMENT???? MY VITAMIN D WAS AS LOW AS 18, BUT I WAS PLACED ON 50,000 UNITS OF D FOR 5 MONTHS...MY D LEVEL NOW IS 32....

HAS ANYONE HEARD THAT IF YOUR VITAMIN D BOTTOMS OUT WHILE IN SURGERY YOU WILL DIE???

TALK TO ME PLEASE!!!!

well i did it!...i finally had my one bad PTH removed....i really must have caught it in time, because labs 24 hours after my surgery said my calcium wasn't dropping for lack of...i've had no tingling sensations...i stayed overnight because i'm 56 years old and didn't know what to expect....my surgeon dr flynn in louisville ky said he hadn't seen a PTH as big as mine though...the only thing i was told to continue taking daily is my 1,000 IU of vitamin D and to start off eating soft foods...

you know in the beginning i had absolutely no symptoms other than my calcium was slightly elevated and i was feeling tired only when i laid down at night which was around 6:00 PM.

i'll keep noting my progress, because this is only 48 hours after my surgery...

WELL AFTER LABS, MY ENDO DOC HAS PUT ME ON 25mcg of LEVOTHYROXINE BECAUSE MY THYROID IS UNDERACTIVE??? I HOPE SHE KNOWS WHAT SHE'S DOING...LABS ON DECEMBER 3RD SHOW MY THYRD PEROX SHOULD BE LESS THAN 35 AND ITS 459, MY PTH INTACT SHOULD BE BETWEEN 10-65 AND IT'S 68...MY T4 FREE SHOULD BE BETWEEN .78 AND 2.19 AND IT'S 63, BUT AFTER BEING ON LEVOTHYROXINE FOR A FEW DAYS IT'S NOW .83...I'LL GET LABS AGAIN IN 2 MONTHS...
MEANWHILE I FEEL LOUSY...THE MUSCLES IN MY THIGHS ACHE, MY BRAIN FEELS LIKE I'M OUT OF BODY, IT HAS AN OCCASSIONAL SHARP PAIN, MY LEFT BREAST HURTS (I'M GOING FOR BREAST EXAM IN FEBRUARY 2009)...I'LL ASK MY PCP TO REFER ME TO GET AN MRI OF MY BRAIN AND BREAST AND MUSCLES IN MY LEGS...AND AN ULTRASOUND OF MY HEART....
I'M 57 YEARS OLD AND I FEEL LOUSY AND I THINK IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF MY THYROID...I WISH THESE DOCTORS CARED ENOUGH TO SEE THAT ALL TEST HAVE BEEN RAN TO FIND OUT WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON INSIDE THE BODY...
REPLY SOON....PPPPLLLLLEEEAAASSSSEEE!!!

If you have PTH Tumor there is only 'one' cure and that is surgery. No such thing as 'watchful waiting'.. I had 'four' tumors removed and right after surgery, about a week later I began to feel as I've never felt in years; so much more pain free, and alive, alert, and 'wanting to do' things again...Your Calcium and PTH are 'very much' 'needed for surgery my friend. Don't be afraid. Get a good surgeon who does a lot of these and make sure he looks at 'all' the glands.... One or Two hours and its over. No Pain... Do it !! Frank

Your calcium levels need to be checked also. High calcium levels is and indication of parathyroid tumors.
Also, check Dr. James Norman will give you all the info you need regarding parathyroid tumors, calcium, PTH levels, side effects of parathyroid tumors, etc. Lots of good info.
Dr. Norman and his staff remove parathyroid tumors all day 5 days a week. They removed 2 tumors from my parathyroid glands on 10/19/2015. So happy I had the surgery.

Winter Haven, FL

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

It took me five months, but now I feel great.