I have nearly all symptoms of a bad parathyroid.  I am changing doctors as I am not pleased with his responses.  My parathyroid harmones have been high for two years+.  My calcium level stays at 10-10.4, with anything over 10.5 being considered high.  Do I just go to a surgeon or what do I do?  With sudden symptoms beginning over two years ago, I feel it is a bad parathyroid.  In my last blood work, my VIT D was even LOW, which I understand can also be a sympton.

Alaman -  You don't say whether you doctor is an endocrinologist.  I suggest that you contact local endocrinologists and ask about their parathyroid experience then choose the one with the most experience.  Most primary care doctors, and many endocrinologosts, don't know much about parathyroid issues.

Your calcium is high enough to cause your problems.  I was one of the rare ones who never had high calcium but had a fairly large adenoma.  Sometimes normalizing the Vitamin D will normalize the PTH as well.  Authorities disagree on this but my endo says she has seen it work for many patients.

Where do you live?  Are you willing to travel to a good surgeon?      mass

Live in AL. Yes, willing to travel. I have nearly all the symptoms associated with a bad parathyroid. I am READY to feel like I used to. The past two years have not been fun.

I know that you are miserable. I have heard from many people in similar situations. You are not too far from Dr Norman in Tampa and I assume that you have read his information. He has many fans but I prefer to go elsewhere. You could also look up Dr Babak Larian in Los Angeles. He is a very caring and excellent surgeon. He is also very good at calling folks to discuss their problem. I do beleive though that you need a local doctor to help as well. I assume that you have not had a sestamibi scan. They are not totally reliable but if something shows up, it will convince your doctor that you need surgery.

You will want a very experienced surgeon. I would suggest one who uses the radio probe when necessary, does minimally invasive surgery and uses intraoperative PTH testing. There are a number of very excellent ones but you will probably have to travel. I want to have total confidence in anyone who is going to cut things inside my neck.and would rather travel than choose a surgeon because of convenience.

I hope you get help soon. mass

I was told by a radiologist who has had SUCCESSFUL para surgery that the sestamibi scan was only 50% in showing up in most cases. His did not show up prior to his surgery. ???? H lives in B'ham, AL and went to Dr. Norman at Tampa.

Alaman wrote:

mass wrote:

I hope you get help soon. mass

pls who does one recommend in the east coast area or anywhere really that gives good post care; with Dr Norman I don't like what I am hearing about him; it sounds like a zoo.

My Vit D levels are 41, is that considered v. low? Is it wise to supplement with Vit D now? I am confused what I should be taking now, with a 89 PTH and 9.8-10.1 serum calcium (ionized calcium 5.08 with range 4-5).