I had mini-surgery for parathyroid removal on 9/14/06. I was warned of tingling, etc. from the drop in calcium and was told it would last 2 or 3days. I am now 1 week post-op and feel HORRIBLE! I have intermittent dizziness, tingling over my whole body. I had my calcium level checked post-op it is 9.5. Prior to surgery it was 12.8. Is this normal, because it feels like I am DYING?

How are you doing now? I am one week post-op today, and feel much like you described. Did you contact the surgeon and what did he say?

I had the same surgery last November (2005) and I am still struggling with the same symptoms you describe. I have been to the doctor and they haven't been able to determine what's wrong. My calcium is in normal range now but they didn't test my serum calcium levels so I can't be certain that it's not calcium related. I also have eyelid twitches, my musculoskeletal system feels old, and on and off dizziness. I have read about something called "Hungry Bones Syndrome" where after the surgery your bones begin to absorb all the calcium in your body. I have been taking calcium supplements with some degree of success. Nevertheless I feel worse now than I did before the surgery. I don't know what to do.

wvf3 wrote:

Quote:

Are you kidding me?! I have this to look forward to for more than 3 months! My doctor basically told me that there is nothing wrong with me and that I just need to lose weight and I won't be dizzy, won't feel like I am a hundred years old, etc. My calcium was at 10.3 so it had climbed up from the 9.5 but is still considered "normal". Some days I feel "OK" and others are so bad I can hardly stand. No one understands this and I am getting to the point of just wanting to scream and say "I AM DONE". I am only 34 years old, and I was supposed to feel like a "brand new person" after having this problem taken care of. I am a mom, a wife and an office manager and feel myself spiraling downward when even doctors tell me there is nothing wrong. It is my body, shouldn't I be well aware that there is a problem?

Thanks for your reply. I don't feel so lonely. This is such a rare disease and operation that most general physicians don't know how to deal with it. I also was told that I would feel "10 years younger" (I am 47) but now I feel 10 years older! Like you I have good days but I when it's bad I have never felt worse in my life. Sometimes I wish I had waited on having surgery. Too late now. I hope it improves for you sooner than it has for me.

Do you have at least a few days in between each "episode" or is it a daily routine?

I always have a few days between the episodes. In fact, I am currently experiencing relief after about 8 days of dizziness and musculoskeletal discomfort. I hope it lasts.... :D

My doctor has ordered me Vitamin D, Magnesium and Calcuim to take. Are you sure you are on all the meds you need to feel better. I had this surgery January 3, 2007. I take large doses of each of these minerals and vitamins. I feel so much better.

I just had a parathyroid edenoma removed 4 days ago and I feel lousy amd came here to find out if this will pass..I see I may have a long road ahead of me!! I have the "hang over" feeling and twitching in my eyes..dont want to do anything! IM usually running around like crazy and all I can manage to do is little housework and then I have to sit down..god..I hope this passes..I am taking everything I am supposed to.......

This is for all who have had the parathyroidectomy, how are you all feeling now? I'm just wondering, cause I'm not feeling that great yet... I read the testimonies on Dr. Norman's website and am depressed! All these people who said they went out for dinner the same night after surgery.... feel great within a day or 2..... yadda, yadda, yadda... That certainly is not me.... YET..... Still hoping....

I am wondering if the high doses of calcium and D I am taking is making me feel bad... I was tested next day for calcium and it had dropped from original 10.5 to 8.7, I think the normal range is 8.6 to 10.2. The tingling went away day 3 post op. I did as prescribed, when feeling tingly all over, take 3 tabs immediately, that did help.

For the person whose calcium level has risen to 10.3, if I were you, I would have my PTH tested as well..... you may have another adenoma you are not aware of. My Dr. told me to be tested post op, as this can and does happen.....

Are any of you feeling any better? Reading Dr Norman web site, I am suppose to be 100% better right away. My surgery is scheduled with Dr Chris Raeburn at the University of Colorado on 4/21/08 and I want to be better. Please some one tell me that you feel better!!!

I am beginning to think Dr Norman's Web site is a bunch of misleading advertising.

I expect he puts the 'best' letters in the testimonials. I did have surgery with him three weeks ago and he is both kind and an excellent surgeon.

But - I'm certainly not feeling 10 years younger by a longshot. I think for some people that can happen, but for a lot of us, there can be a kind of hormonal cascade or something. I had high calcium for over five years, and it did a lot of damage to the rest of my body - unfortunately recovery is apt to be a long haul - at least to me that seems the case.

I really hope I'm wrong, and I have talked with people who felt fine shortly (within 1-3 months) after surgery. But for some of us, it may take a while before our bodies adjust to the lower calcium levels and all the other changes that result from that. Or at least I'm *trying* to think positively. I did have a reduction in bone pain and an improvement in eyesight pretty quickly post-surgery, but the calcium supplements make me ill at the stomach, I've got various neurological weirdnesses going on, and all of a sudden I'm having panic attacks (a new one for me).

Really hoping it gets better, but I'm up and down - though even my 'up' days are far from perfect.

Leida,

Just checking in to see how you are feeling. I had surgery 2weeks ago and am feeling a bit better. I have also been experiencing some anxiety, yuk! But am wondering if they may have something to do with post-op side effects.

I have been on Cephalexin (antibiotic) since surgery, and I read that it can cause depression/anxiety, joint pain, fatigue,..... things that make you go hmmmm....... wondering if this could be part of the reason I am not bouncing back... yesterday was my last dose so, we'll see....

I also have been taking mega-doses of calcium and D. The first week I was taking 2 tabs 4x's daily, second week 2 tabs 3x's daily and I just started the 2 tabs 2x's daily.

I did have a pretty good day as far as energy wise, a couple of days ago. And had a crash the next day from overdoing. Yesterday was a good day for energy as well, however still have the generalized anxiety, which just hangs on.

I am wondering if you have good days, then bad... and did you have that before surgery as well? I sure did, had days where I had energy and days I did not. Bone pain was all the same, but seems like I could push through on certain days and be able to function pretty well.

I think my bone pain is starting to diminish a bit, but still having some hair loss. I spoke with my surgeon's nurse the other day, she said I needed to probably go in and have my levels checked again, so I have an appt. on Tues. to have blood drawn.

Looking forward to hearing from you ~ L.

I'd say I'm having better and worse days, too. I went diabetic after I got the tumour, and I'm still not certain if those were/are related. Plus throw in fibromyalgia, a systemic mycoplasmal infection, and rheumatoid arthritis, and I never feel really 'good'.

But definitely improvement since the surgery. Before that I had bad days and worse days - and the worse days would sometimes go on for weeks. Things like taking a bath were a MAJOR accomplishment (yup, I was that wiped out), and my legs had this funny way of collapsing under me if I walked half a block.

Since the surgery: No funny collapsing leg tricks, a definite reduction in bone pain - it's still there, but it hasn't woken me up and it used to do that every night without fail - bad enough to need instant release morphine. That's gone, thankfully, and I've managed baths every day - so overall, I guess I have more energy than I did. Plus my eyesight is a lot better - my reading glasses work now.

On the not so great side - I still have exhausted days, still have quite a bit of bone pain, get random dizzy spells, and the damnable anxiety attacks (never had those before and I hope they go away because they're awful). The calcium is doing in my digestive system, so some days I skip it. Still anorectic (involuntarily - I still don't get hungry, and my stomach's a mess), I'm breaking out with mild acne (yuck), and my cognitive abilities are still residing in another universe.

I don't work there or anything, but try Chagrin Valley for soap and shampoo - they're online, reasonably priced, and don't have anything irritating in them. My hair does seem to be getting a bit thicker and it's not clogging up the tub anymore when I wash it - partly adenoma removal and partly switching soap and shampoo, I think.

I hope we *all* feel better soon!

Sounds like you do have a plethura of medical issues, UGH! Glad to know that you are improving somewhat, that's a good sign.

For me, last week was a great week for me, it was my 3rd week post-op. I was able to kick into high gear and really got a lot done. The last couple of days here though have not been so good. More achey, tired and brain fog. I'm hoping that I will have less and less of these kind of days, it's so irritiating!

I have heard others have their ups and downs with this and it takes a while so I am being patient. I am very grateful for the wonderful week I had last week and am pressing on!

Thanks for the shampoo idea, right now I use Nioxin which has really good results for my husband who was losing his hair to age. His hair is really thickening and much fuller. Have you seen a difference using the shampoo you suggested? If the Nioxin doesn't work, it might be work giving it a try.

Thanks and take care