Looking for a good parathyroid surgeon, possibly around the St. Louis area or even central IL area. My husband has parathyroid elevation as well as elev Ca+ levels with a low Vitamin D level. Sestamibi scan for the parathyroid was negative, but I have read alot on this saying it's not uncommon to have a negative scan (if not properly done)....help!!

I just had surgery on 4/28/09. I too had a negative Sestamibi scan but when I went to my surgeon, he ordered an ultrasound and they were able to locate the bad parathyroid on that test. I had my surgery at Vanderbilt Hospital. Its located in Nashville, TN, so not really far from where you live. I had the surgery as an outpatient. I had the surgery at 11:00 and was in recovery at 2:00 and was back home, which is about 45 minutes from the hospital by 4:00. I don't know what symptoms your husband is having but I felt better as soon as I woke up and am still feeling better. I had a minor sore throat for the first 2 days and now, that is really not even much of a problem. The incision is very small, no stitches and really not even sore. I am off work for 2 weeks but probably could have gone back sooner. I am taking calcium tablets twice a day and have had some feelings of tingling in hands and feet but it just feels like when your feet go to sleep and that has passed quickly.

Angelia, I had surgery at Vanderbilt on Feb 18. My sestambi scan was negative. My ultrasound showed something but it was not the bad parathyroid gland. I had one parathyroid removed and some thyroid tissue. My incision is about 3 inches long. I had to spend the night at the hospital. I live outside of Nashville. My surgeon was Dr Phay. Who did your surgery? I would recommend Vanderbilt Endocrine Surgery center, too. I hear Dr Phay is going to Ohio. I am glad to find out someone else had surgery there, too.

Pam,
I was very pleased with the service at Vandy. My surgeon was Nazi Abumerad. I did not spend the night. I live in Bowling Green, which is about a 45 minute drive. How are you feeling since your surgery? My incision is probably a bit smaller than 3 inches. My ultrasound did show some areas on my thyroid but while doing the parathyroid surgery, he looked at the thyroid and decided it looked ok. I have my follow up on the 13th. So far, I am just taking my calcium and taking it easy. Did the vandy doctor just release you and tell you to follow up with your family doctor or what? When did they test your calcium again? What symptoms were you having that led them to find the parathyroid problem?

Angelia, It was routine bloodwork that I had after being put on a blood pressure med that showed high calcium. When I read symptons on parathyroid.com, I had a lot of them. I think a lot of symptons I had and still have are kind of like for peri-menopause(which I am in)and other things. I saw a general surgeon back in FE of 2008. Then I went to Vandy in March of 2008. Almost had surgery but my levels went down, so surgeon didn't want to do exploratory surgery. I was seeing the endo dr, Dr Dahir after that. My levels went back up last Nov. So I had surgery this past FE. After surgery, my throat was sore from the breathing tube of a week or two. The neck area around incision was sore. I feel relieved not to worry about high calcium levels anymore. I don't feel that much better. Anxiety is a big problem with me, too. I think my thyroid is a problem. I do have hashimoto's thyroiditis but not on any meds. I had my post-op appt with Dr Phay in March. Bloodwork showed normal calcium and pth. Then I saw Dr Dahir at Vandy in April. My calcium and pth levels are still normal. She says my thyroid labs are fine and to come back to see her in one year. I take calcium plus D twice a day. Did you have your vitD tested? My last one was 32. I would think your surgeon will tell you to have follow up checkup with your family dr later as he or she can order the calcium and pth levels. Or maybe suggest an endocrinologist.
I do have osteopenia in my hips. I am to get a bone density scan in Dec.
You take it easy and you will be feeling super great in no time! Pam

Pam,
Sorry you aren't much better after surgery. Did you continue to take blood pressure meds after surgery? I knew that was one of the symptoms, an increase in blood pressure. Some of my symptoms could have been from menopause too. I am 53 and did stop having a period during all of this time. I don't have problems with anxiety, or so that I can determine. One thing they had asked me was about frequent urination and I have always answered no. I am not a water drinker and have a diuretic in my blood pressure meds. I did wake up several times during the night and when I did, I always had to go to the bathroom. I have noticed since surgery, I do sometimes wake up but don't have to go to othe bathroom so I must have had some symptoms of the urination and just not realized it. I had knee surgery in 2006 and had serious problems sleeping after that due to pain, so during tha time, I began taking like Tylenol PM. I would still wake up but could at least go to sleep. I took that for probably a year. I had not been taking that for a while and had no problems going to sleep but as I said, woke up several times during the night. I am kind of like you, in looking back, its hard to say if symptoms were from menopause or parathyroid. Itseems so crazy to say but yesterday afternoon, my husband and I went to Lowes and I walked around, without a cart, and then we went to Sam's and I felt fine. In the past, I could not have done something so simple as that. I had gotten to the point that I had to always use a cart when I shopped because it felt like I walked bent over or something. .Now that things have changed, I realize it seemed my muscles were kind of contracted all the time and now they feel like they are relaxed. Even my knee I had surgery on feels different, much better.

Guest, I stopped taking bp med in July of 08. I was on low dose of a beta blocker. So far I am doing okay. I had my parathyroid surgery Feb/09. I can't sleep nights and sometimes get up several times to go the bathroom. I did find out I have hashimoto's but not being treated yet. Pam

deenie68 wrote:

Hi: I live in Columbus, Ohio and I would recommend Dr. William Farrar who is a surgeon at the James
Cancer Hospital here in Columbus, Ohio. He did a second surgery on me in March after another surgeon botched one in Oct, 2008 and took out two normal glands. Dr. Farrar found the bad gland which was uncommonly located in my chest area and removed it in approximately an hour and fifteen minutes with no problems. His office phone number is 614 293-8890.

Bob

I just had my parathyroidectomy done on 7/27/09. Tomorrow will be a week since it was done. Dr 's Norman & Politz and the entire surgical team are AWESOME to say the least. Yes, you have to pay money out-of-pocket for the consultation. My suggestion, save up the money and have it done right the first time in Tampa! This is not cancer that you have, you can take some time and save the money! That is what I did and it was by far the best choice I could have made. I went undiagnosed for up to 10 years and if you go to and read the list of symptoms, I had all but 2. A week later I am feeling so much better already! I ate pizza for dinner the night after surgery and for the first time in years, no acid reflux. I have had a bit of trouble with symptoms of low calcium this week but was given the surgeons home # and cell # and called twice to get advice. They increased my calcium intake and the symptoms are now under control. The surgery was a breeze, moderate sedation not general. I remember the OR team having me move to the OR table, telling me to take some deep breathes through the mask and the next thing I knew, I was waking up. An hour later feeling strong and wide awake I got dressed and got to go home. The muscles of your throat are tender, I mean, you did have them cut-they will be tender. But no difficulty swallowing. My incision is 1 inch. Tomorrow I take the tape off, no stitches to be removed. They removed my bad parathyroid gland and a large thyroid nodule. They said the nodule was non-cancerous but felt that if they left it my Dr's would want to keep doing biopsies on it, so they removed it and I am grateful for that! DO NOT have this surgery done any other way than MIRP. Also, DO NOT let anyone biopsy any of your parathyroid glands, this can destroy your good ones! Do some important reading, go to This is a very important decision you have to make if you are looking into surgery....be an informed patient! If a Dr tells you they do a mini surgery but that you will need to spend the night in the hospital THEY ARE NOT doing the mini surgery! be informed!

*** edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed