I am glad to have found this site because I like to know before I leap. I discovered the signs of hyperparathyroidism about a month and a half ago and have been persistent in getting the tests and finally a scan that revealed an adenoma. BTW, my GP felt that ionized calcium and PTh were premature just based on one Calcium result of 11.5 and was reluctant to order the tests... My calcium ranged from 9.6-11.5 over a four week period; my urine calcium was 384; my PTH has never been over 55. Because my test results were not typical of hyperparathyroidism, the surgeon also wanted to wait and see if the PTH would rise after a period of time, suggesting that I would be in the very early stages of this disease. I insisted that we at least try a scan to see what it showed. Low and behold it was positive. I do hope it is in the early stages of the disease, but I can't wait to have it removed to see if the health issues I have been having for the last three years go away!
I am worried (as I should be before I have surgery) and would like to hear some other feedback regarding the surgeons you all have been to. I live in Colorado, but I am willing to travel for the best care. The surgeon I have spoken to does the surgery under a general; what is the practice of the docs you have all been to? Is post operative calcium supplementation the standard amongst most docs? Do the docs normally test for a drop in calcium and PTH once the adenoma has been removed to make sure they have taken all the bad guys? Any information about your surgical experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Where was your scan done? I recently had one done at CU Medical Sciences. It was negative but I haven't seen it yet to know how clear it was.

If you haven't already done so, you should look at parathyroid.com. You are fortunate to have a diagnosis so quickly. Many people struggle for years to get a diagnosis.

I don't have surgical experience but if you search this site for "parathyroid" you'll find a number of recommendations from folks with experience.

I wish you the best.

Mass

My scan was done at Aurora Medical Center south. I asked to see the pictures during the scan and then asked for copies of my scan before I left so that I could tell how clear it was even though it was obvious from the pictures on the computer that it was positive.

I have been sick for a long time-probably four years or more. I do feel fortunate to finally have a diagnosis. My calcium has only been out of the "range" one time since the beginning of July, and it was 11.5 at that time. If I had not had that single test, on that particular day, this parathyroid thing would have never even hit my radar screen.

I have studied Parathyroid.com completely, and I am trying to determine whether I should travel to Tampa to have the MIRP or if I should have the surgery here. The doc here, who has an excellent reputation, will still do a small incision (1.5-2"), but as I mentioned he uses a general vs. a local and his surgery takes a lot longer-1- 1.5 hours. He does not use the radio guided technique.

Are you slated for surgery? Where will you have it done?

No, I'm not scheduled for surgery. I've had numerous tests and my calcium has always been in the 9's and ionized calcium is normal. However, the PTH has been high. On the last test the PTH went down to 69 and since the scan was negative, my doctor says that no one would attempt surgery in this situation. This must be the most frustrating disease there is.

I don't know what local surgeon my endo refers to and I don't know where I would go if we ever get to that point. As soon as I get my scan from University I will send it to Dr Larian in Los Angeles. Someone on this site recommended him and I checked out his website and emailed a question. He called me and was very helpful and volunteered to look at my scan. We'll have to see what happens then. There seem to be a number of people who do the surgery well. Some only use the radio guided surgery when they have trouble locating the tumor. I would definitely want the mini surgery and someone who is very experienced with it. Like you, I would go wherever necessary.

I'm thinking that you must have an endocrinologist in Denver. What is you dr's opinion of Dr Norman?

I hope you get a quick solution.

mass

If you have a good doctor locally then stay local. Granted, I was one of the folks who had a bad experience in Tampa, but they use larangeal mask airway for anaesthesia, which means you will be out cold, and if you react to general anaesthetic, you will also react to LMA - I did, though that's not my complaint with them.

You'll also likely have to go in at 5:30 or 6 am, and not be out til 1 or 2 pm - spending the night in hospital locally seems like it would be a lot more convenient than staying in a hotel for three to five days and flying to and back from Tampa.

My scar is about 2 inches and I'm not obese or anything (nor is the scar really noticeable). My tumours didn't show up on scan though and they had to poke around some, and that was with radio-guided surgery in Tampa. They found one tumour, but apparently there's still another one in there (my levels never dropped post-surgery and no, they do not check there - they give you a lab slip for bloodwork to be done in five weeks). And Dr Norman was beyond horrible about my lab results - everything from lots of swearing, to I was lying, to they were fake (they were faxed to his office directly).

So - if you can get it done locally and it's mini-surgery, I don't see a lot of advantage in going to Tampa.

I'd have to go back to America for another surgery, which requires lots of money I don't have, and finding another specialist - but if I could have had it done here, that would have been my preferred choice.

My wife just had the parathyroid surgery Tuesday in Tampa. My wife did tons of research before deciding to have the surgery performed there. Leida is the first negative response we have ever seen. The way the surgery is performed in Tampa in our opinion is just superior to anywhere else. They did find two bad parathyroids during my wife's surgery and I can tell you with confidence that probably would not have happened if we would have had it done in Michigan. Seriously, the place in Tampa has over 23,000 parathyroid surgeries under their belt and I fine one negative review. That alone should speak volumes.

Hi I'm glad u both had a positive out come. I've found several nag reviews. I just checked the health dept. (fla) James Norman is not listed as having license s doctor.

I posted thar James Norman was not a fla listened doc. He is I entered his first name as his last. opps

I had my surgery last week, 9/22. My scans were negative however I was having all of those bad symptoms and my blood tests indicated high calcium levels and high PTH levels. A parathyroid neck exploration was performed and a 10 cm tumor was removed. So I guess you could say that I took a big leap of faith. If you are having really bad symptoms from your parathyroid and you have a great surgeon, you will know what to do. You know your body better than anyone else. I suffered for years while doctors were telling me everything was normal. Well, it wasn't.

Where did you have it done at?
Did you have stitches or glue