Hi, my father suffers from parathyroid disease, and I am worried about him. The parathyroid surgery is next week, and it would help me if I heard some experiences with this disease.

Hi, I suffer from parathyroid disease too, and I will have a parathyroid surgery. I have pain in the joints and I’m constantly weak. My bone mineral density is decreased, and I am in risk of fracture. My grandfather had the same condition, and he broke two bones before he had a surgery. When the symptoms appeared, I knew I had the same condition as my grandpa. I went to a doctor, and two tests (serum calcium and serum parathyroid hormone) helped in diagnosing parathyroid disease. I will have a parathyroid surgery, and I am scared of the possible complications. The surgeon must identify all four parathyroid glands and remove the one that is enlarged.

I HAVE READ THAT IN THE EARLY DAYS AFTER SURGERY YOUR BRAIN MAY STILL BE COMPROMISED. THE DIFFICULTY IS AFTER SUCCESSFUL PTX, BLOOD CALCIUM AND PTH RETURN TO NORMAL RAPIDLY...BUT IT TAKES FAR LONGER FOR THE REST OF THE BODY TO REPAIR THE DAMAGE CAUSED BY POSSIBLY YEARS OF EXPOSURE TO ABNORMAL LEVELS OF CALCIUM AND PTH. THEREIN MAY LIE THE ANSWER TO THE VARIABILITY OF RECOVERY...RAISED CALCIUM AND PARATHYROID HORMONE HAVE COMPROMISED THE FUNCTION OF MANY DIFFERENT SYSTEMS AND TISSUES IN THE BODY...WHO KNOWS HOW LONG THE DISEASE HAS BEEN PRESENT. SINCE MY CALCIUM IS 10.8 AND MY PTH IS 150...MY DOCTOR SAID HE COULD MONITOR...THE ONLY SYMPTOM I HAVE IS THRU THE BONE SCAN, MY HIP AREA IS OSTEOPENIA AND THRU THE SESTAMIBI SCAN A PARATHYROID IS ADENOMA...I'M TORN BETWEEN HAVING THE SURGERY AT THIS TIME OR WAITING TIL SYMPTOMS GET WORSE...

If you can get it done now, do it. Even though I feel fairly crappy post-surgery, I got osteoporosis, left ventricular hypertrophy, worsening of my mitral valve prolapse, and a bunch of other nasty things from hyperpara.

It won't get better on its own, in other words, and very likely will make you feel worse. So probably best to have it done before you end up with full-blown osteoporosis, kidney stones, high blood pressure, etc.

And who knows? If you're not having much symptoms now, you may do a lot better with the surgery than the rest of us.

Hi I guess it's hard to face surgery when one is not in a crisis...but I have read alot, and your advice is sound, How are you feeling? I have read alot of comments like"you'll be back to work in 2 days?" Not sure I buy that,,,. What was your exact procedure, and how is your recovery going? i hope you're ok...........thanks for the info,

In my case it looks like they either missed a tumour, or it's taking longer than anyone for my levels to come down.

I'm four months post-op, still feel like I have a huge lump in my throat, my symptoms have been getting worse, and my calcium as of this week is 11, with a PTH of 55. I have taken no calcium supplements since I was two weeks post-op - at which time they put it down to my levels coming down slowly, but they were wrong.

This is NOT the norm - most people have successful surgeries. But I didn't, and I feel pretty wretched.

The chances of what happened ot me happening to you are almost zilch, so I'd still definitely encourage you to do it. I'd have another surgery if I could except they don't do them in my country, and I just don't have the money to go back to America.

You likely won't feel well in two days, but you'll probably start feeling considerable improvement within two to eight weeks.

Find a good doctor - Jim Norman isn't one. He still refuses to admit that my levels are abnormal or that it was possible that he missed anything, even though the consensus at this point is 100% that he did. And even with him the problem isn't his skills, it's just that he's become so arrogant he doesn't believe he can make a mistake - at least that's all I can say from my dealings with him. Well, he's rude and swore at me a lot, too, which was totally uncalled for. I do not expect surgeons to be my best friends, but this is appalling.

I'M 56 AND HAVE DECIDED TO HAVE THE SURGERY...
I HAVE NO SYMPTOMS OTHER THAN TEST STATING SO....HOPE I'M CATCHING IT IN THE EARLY STAGE...MY SURGEON IS DR FLYNN IN LOUISVILLE KY...I EVEN KNOW SOMEONE THAT HAD HER PTH REMOVED BY HIM AND SHE WAS BACK TO WORK IN 2 WEEKS AND IS FEELING REALLY GOOD...SAID SHE HAD NUMBNESS AND TINGLING A FEW DAYS AFTER SURGERY, BUT THAT HAS GONE AWAY...SAID SHE IS ON VITAMIN D AND CALCIUM....SHE REALLY LOOKS GREAT!...I'LL LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW I FEEL WHEN I'VE HAD MINE PTH REMOVED.

I had my surgery 3 months ago...Till now, I cant really speak properly..My left voice box is injured and not functioning and I only have the right voice box to do all the work..I may have to undergo another operation to remedy the lost of voie but the doctor told me to wait for another 3 months to be certain...
But all my other sympthoms(high blood, bone pain, diarrhoe and tiredness) were gone after the operation.

This is a note to EVERYONE wanting more information about parathyroid problems and questions or concerns about surgery.

PLEASE go to: parathyroid.com

This is a website created and maintained by two surgeons who specialize in parathyroid surgery and who 10 years ago created a minimally invasive surgical technique that has since become the preferred method. They have published studies in very credible scholarly journals. It is updated regularly and is a gold mine of readily understandable information.

I had parathyroid surgery this is the 8th day after and I feel so weird inside. I feel as though i'm burning up on the inside. they removed a 7 gram parathyroid tumor during surgery. The only symptons I had pre-op was kidney stones and elevated para thyroid hormone 300+. I am very concerned because of the way I feel. My left side is the worst affected. I am tingling all inside and I feel like i'm on fire when I lay down. Please let me know if these symptons are in line with your other readers and if I should be overally concerned about the way I feel.

Monday will be three weeks since my parathyroid surgery. It feels like there is a lump in my throat and I have this large (golf ball size) lump in the front of my neck. It's in the area where there is normally a hollow area, the same place they do a tracheotomy, and really shows up when I tilt my head up. I mentioned this to my doctor in an email and he said it will go away. I also told him I'm having trouble swallowing and he said that the surgery had nothing to do with swallowing because they didn't do anything to my throat.

I don't think this is normal. The lump is firm, not soft like it's just swelling or something like that. Also, I can't tilt my head back as far as I used to. There's this pulling feeling like the muscles are too tight and to put my head back further I have to open my mouth. I don't know what this lump could be. All kinds of things are going through my head like, the muscles are caught up in the stitches, there's too much scar tissue forming, there's adhesions on my muscles, etc. and it's making me nuts. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I've tried to search online for what this could be but haven't found anything. Anxiously awaiting any replies and/or help.

Two adenomas were removed. I wanted the minimally invasive surgery done but because nothing showed up in the ultrasound, mri scan or sestamibi scan the doctor said he would have to do exploratory surgery. My incision is about 3 inches long across the lower front of my neck. My Calcium level was up to 11.8 and PTH was 136.

:-) hi
i had parathyroid surgery 2006 and although the operation was a great success (6 hour procedure) i can honestly say I"m not the same person
i suffered and continue to have extreme vertigo attacks, ringing in my head
muscle aches and pains and overall tiredness
all further testing are normal and hopefully waiting for my symptoms
to subside

if i can offer additional information please contact me

I had my surgery done a week ago and im feeling weird ever since. I have this tingling, numbness in my feet, hands, and face area that is due to my body being in shock from going from a high calcium body to one that is normal now. Dr. said will take some time for the body to get used to and will return to normal in a few months. I am taking TUMS and active vitamin D for that condition and i still feel the symptoms. I also have this sharp pain in my right back when i swallow and Dr. did not get back to me on that yet. I also feel that my neck got smaller and harder for me to breathe or something, not sure. just feel not right and not normal.

I had my surgery two weeks ago in my home town with an experienced ENT surgeon. I had wanted to go to Dr. Norman in Tampa, but he does not take my insurance. I wonder if any of you went to him? Anyway, I THOUGHT I would be feeling better, too. Every day I DO feel better, but it is slow. When I read Parathyroid.com, I assumed I would be bouncing back in a week or sooner. But after reading more websites on this surgery, I realize it takes longer to heal. Yes, I feel a lump in my throat, too, but on line, it says that should disappear. And I still feel pain. And it is hard to talk. I feel a strain and "pulling" sensation. So, I am resting as much as I can...resting my neck and my voice. On line, many articles say it can take from 3 weeks to 3 months for symptoms to leave. So, I guess we should just talk to our surgeons about our concerns, and treat our bodies respectfully so that they can heal. If your voice is tired, do not talk much. Rest your voice. Drink cold liquids...be patient. It takes time to heal. Everyone is different, too. I am glad I had the surgery. I do feel a lot better, more alert, and not depressed anymore. My blood pressure is lower and I am not as sleepy. My calcium was 10.6 and my PTH was 81. My bad parathyroid measured almost .8 inch. (2 cm.) and he looked for another bad one. He did take a biopsy of a cyst, but everything is ok. Now my calcium is in the 9's and my PtH is 25. So, it looks like it was successful.

the person from louisville, can you tell me who diagnosed the lady who had surgery by Dr. Flynn? I am suffering from this but my endo is not getting it...all help would be appreciated...