After I drink some types of alcohol, I get serious pain in my shoulders and discomfort across my chest. Usually followed by an overall sick feeling and even some burping. It's pretty intense, even with as little as half a glass & I just have to stop drinking. It doesn't happen with wine but does with wine coolers and margaritas. Does this happen to anyone else out there? I just don't know what to avoid. Is it sulfites or acid?Should I be concerned that something is wrong?

I have the exact same problem! Although my pain occurs even after drinking wine. I only drink wine or amaretto, and only occassionally, so I can't tell you if it is the type of alcohol that really affects it. I can tell you that it only happens about half the time I drink, and always on the first or second sip. I have noticed that it happens most often on an empty stomach. Let me know if you come across any diagnosis. The best explanation I came up with is a sort of heartburn, but it just doesn't seem right considering the intensity of the pain.

I completely have the same thing. I figure its some kind of an allergy or something else going wrong but its the oddest thing.

I've never heard of anyone having this! It's so nice to know I'm not alone. My reactions are unpredictable, sometimes it’s my first drink and other times it happen after 4 or 5 drinks... however they all seem to also happen when I haven't eaten much. My shoulder & neck muscles tighten, I get warm, my stomach aches and in general, I'm very uncomfortable. I quit drinking immediately when I feel it 'coming on'. It lasts for 20-40 minutes. After it passes, I feel fine.
Years ago, I always noticed gettting a reaction when I drank Bartles & James wine coolers. Recently, I've had only a sip of beer, wine or Amaretto and had it happen.
I would love to find out what is going on! It's quite the party killer.

I have this problem, mine started a year ago, and happens with every type of alcohol except beer. It happens within a minute of the first swallow and makes my right arm/shoulder ache for about 5 minutes, then the pain subsides even if I continue to drink. The only thing I have found to describe the pain are postings by people with Hodgkin's Disease.

This just started for me a few weeks ago. I have been a light alcohol user for several years, but the last two times I have drank I wake up in the middle of the night with horrible pain in my right shoulder.

I have the same thing! Mine has been doing this for years. It hurts for about 30 minutes, then goes away. It doesn't do it with beer, but everything else it does. At times, I thought I was going to have to go to the ER. I haven't found any information on it. Except for the Hodgkin's.
I do have arrhythmia. I wonder if it's due to that????

Okay so i have been having this happen for years, but didn't realize it until yesterday. I get excruciating pain in one or both of my arms from the shoulder down into my fingers. It starts after i have one drink or several, it's beer or wine that does it, and it lasts for hours. If i keep my arms perfectly stilll i don't feel any pain but as soon as i move them it hurts so bad. Even moving a finger is excruciating. I realized the connection to alcohol at the end of last year but now I have also connected it to straining my arm muscles. Even just slightly. Once i was packing some boxes, once i was carrying heavy groceries, once i was sanding walls. It doesn't matter how much I strain them, just that i did. And I will get the pain after drinking even if I strained my arms 24 hours prior to the alcohol consumption. I have heart palpations and recently I have started to have increasing indigestion problems. And I have lower back problems, too. In researching this on line looks like it could be Hodgkin's Disease, low magnesium, or disk problems. So i am going to get it checked out.

Wow! I had no idea that other people suffered from this! The muscles in my shoulders and back often tighten up like they're cramping when I drink alcohol- it's extremely painful. Usually it lasts for 15-30 minutes and is followed by a period of nausea. There doesn't seem to be much on the internet about the problem, but I would venture to guess that genetics play a factor because my mother has the same reaction.

After reading a little bit on the internet I have a feeling this thread may have a couple of different problems. Me personally, I get a deep pain across my shoulder and chest pain after drinking alcohol and certain drinks. As someone said, it is quite the party killer, and I usually have to go outside for some fresh air to try and calm down. I do not get the symptoms when I drink beer, I do get it with some spirits though but not all. I am not a big drinker, but I like to experiment with drink when I do drink. I noticed on one bottle that gave me the pain, that the ingredient Sulphur Dioxide was in it. But that may or may not mean anything. I am not a big wine drinker, so I can not say if it is the problem, and I know that is an ingredient used in wine often. I think what I will have to do is an allergy test, if and when I do, I will let people know the results.

I have the same problem too. Ive been searching the web, and no one has an answer for this. My pain is in my shoulder/shoulder blades. The area is If you were to grab your shoulders with your arms on either side of the neck. It will start soon after the first few sips, and it lasts 10 to 20 minutes then it is gone. Alcohol is the common factor. If I don't drink, it doesn't happen. And even if I do drink it doesn't always happen. And it never happens with beer.
I've experienced this for at least 5 years. I think it might have to do with not eating much, but I cant be sure about that. Maybe a low blood sugar thing?

Has anyone got more information about this?

Ok guys. I have the exact same problem. Mine has been going on since I was about 21. It has gradually gotten worse. I have always related the worsening to age. But, i have also had two children in the past 4 years. So, after finding all of your comments and getting fed up with not even being able to have a drink with dinner I went to the doctor. She diagnosed me with gallbladder attacks. After childbirth a women’s gallbladder can be affected. I now am going to have a sonogram of my gallbladder and then will hopefully have a in and out surgery to remove it. And then, hopfully will celebrate with a drink. So, I hope this bit of insite helps all of you. I know all of your comments gave me comfort in knowing I am not going crazy.

Just like pretty well everyone else who has posted here - I thought I was the only one with this stupid ailment. That is until I mentioned it to someone at work, who's well over 50 and he said "hey - I have the same problem!" I am glad that there are more people out there with this issue, although I do feel bad for everyone because I know just how damned painful it can be.

I'm 32, and discovered the issue around 21... When I stopped being able to drink alot and wake up feeling great. 8)

I have done some extensive testing to determine what the cause is, so that I can avoid certain drinks and still have fun at parties. What I found is that it's the combination of processed sugars and alcohol. Rye & Coke, Rye & Ginger, cheap margaritas, etc ALL affect me. I actually passed out in the lavatory of a plane at 30,000 feet after a rye & coke...

I found that the sugars don't have to actually be mixed with the booze at the time. Tonight, for instance - I had a coke before dinner, and a glass of wine with dinner. I spent 5 minutes in pain, sweating, and green until it passed.

I used to warn my friends when we'd go out drinking that I'd have to take a short break after the first drink - and to expect me to look ill. After that, I'd be fine to continue.. And it would hit like clockwork.

I'm still looking for answers as to what the heck it is. I do know to avoid sugary drinks with booze, and am perfectly happy with rye & diet coke.

I have the problem when drinking bottled beers, sometimes. It sounds very much like the problems described on here...

I'm 25, it's only been happening for a few years. It starts after the first bit of drink, and it's a pain across my shoulders, chest and neck. Sometimes it's so painful I have to stop whatever I'm doing, so it can be quite annoying.

No idea what could cause it - but it's odd that it happens to different people after different types of alcohol. May ask my doctor next time I'm there.

I am not a neurology specialist but it sounds like "referred pain" from the phrenic nerve which innervates the upper adbominal organs, the diaphragm and the central structures of the chest. It could be that you have some specific gastric reaction to the alcohol in question that stimulates the phrenic nerve, causing the sensation of a dull, unlocalized pain in the area above the collar bone.

Pain in that area can mean problems with the heart, bronchi, diaphragm, stomach, liver, pancreas, gall bladder etc.