For some time now (a number of years), I have experiences sharp, severe and short-lived shooting pains in the muscles at the corner of my jaw (the ones responsible for biting down). The pain is roughly semetric and extremely uncomfortable.

The odd thing is, it only occurs after I have drank alcohol (beer, wine etc) with a meal. Eating without consuming alcohol causes no problems, even when I drink non-alcoholic drinks with my meal. Similarly, drinking alcohol by itself causes no signs of the problem. The pain goes away after 10 or 15 minutes of discontinuing eating and drinking, but if I attempt to have another drink before I have allowed adequate time, I will experience extremely uncomfortable pains again.

It's not the worst problem in the world, but I have asked a number of experts about it and none of them could suggest a cause or remedy. Any suggestions?

I would suggest letting your physician know. If it has been going on for a while, then it is probably nothing. But, for some weird reason, lymph node soreness (there are nodes near your jaw) is associated with Hodgkin's lymphoma. But I don't know about the sharp pain. When I had Hodgkin's, I was able to drink without any pain at all. So I don't know what the pain WOULD feel like.

From reading what you wrote, it doesn't seem like Hodgkin's. My point is that sometimes these "weird" things actually are well-studied or known. Sometimes they aren't. But weird effects (mine was an itch with no rash) are clear indicators to doctors of certain problems. Strange how the body works.

I have this exact same problem, and in fact, am experiencing right now since I had a glass of wine with dinner. (Hence why I am looking this up right now). Don't have any answers for you, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

same problem here. when drinking alcohol, i experience pain in my jaw (and sometimes in my left arm). first i thought it had something to do with a wisdom tooth, but i had that removed a couple of weeks ago and the pain still remains. i asked my dentist about it, but he wasn't able to give a proper reply. i've tried searching information on the internet, but nothing comes up. well, anyway, just wanted to share since i'm relieved to find out that i'm not the only one.

I have the same problem with pain in my jaw when drinking alcohol. The only difference is the pain happens when I drink any kind of alcohol no matter when I'm eating or not. On a scale of 1-5 the pain is a 5. I also have asked my dentist and he has no idea what it could be. I believe it is being caused because of nerve damage under my 9 year old crown. He has scheduled a root canal to fix it. Hope it works because I miss having a cold brew.

me too...

Me too! Hence the reason I found this thread as well...usually alcohol and eating... sometimes, though rarely, just alcohol

Yes exactly the same here... what the hell is happening?? Had it for many years now.

My brothers and I have the same problem...I've also asked my dentist...had no idea what the hell I was talking about. The weird thing is, it's not consistent. It happens maybe 50% of the time. Gotta love the world-wide web...maybe we should form a support group. At any rate, I'm going to dinner now and will be drinking lots of alcohol at dinner.

yeah, same here... drinking a beer and it's pissing me off! I get it when I eat sour foods (like candies etc) too. It's happened forever, but the pain seems to be getting more and more intense as the symptoms prolong.

This is the only reference I can find, from a newsgroup:

Shirokum...ATgmail.com
Dec 26 2006, 11:41 am

Newsgroups: sci.med
From: Shirokum...ATgmail.com
Date: 26 Dec 2006 07:41:17 -0800
Local: Tues, Dec 26 2006 11:41 am
Subject: Re: jaw pain while drinking

I too suffer from this when i drink wine. A sharp pain just below the
ear that travels along the jaw.
Luckily i was dining with doctors this holiday and was told that it was
most likely related to the
salivary glands. Up until this point i didnt know anyone else had this
condition so i guess i am no
longer the medical oddity i had hoped to be. HAHA. Anyway just remember
that old saying
patient "doctor it hurts when i do this..."
doctor "Well, then dont do this..."

It's odd as hell that other people have this problem. It happens to me when I eat and drink for years now. Mainly it happens when I don't drink alot.

I get this same thing. I cannot believe other people do as well, but it's a little nervewracking, as the pain is very intense. It is almost glandular, right beneath where your jaw makes a turn forward down from your ear. The pain is excruciating, isn't it?

I haven't found a single answer on the web, just more people who experience it.

Same here with wine and sometimes beer. Didn't notice if it was only with food but it's a sharp, sour type feeling in the jaw. I think the post that mentioned salivary glands has some merit. It feels like my glands might be reacting to the sourness of the wine. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The same thing just happened to me. I've had it a few times before, (maybe 10 times in my life to date), but i drink quite a lot and for the most part my jaw is complaint free.

I work for a dentist and have never had a patient with a similar complaint. I feel as though the pain is in my lower Jaw, but the facial nerve we're all referring to is one that branches out all over our head and so any sharp pain is likely to radiate all through the head.

I'd love to visit an Oral Surgeon to have this thing checked out because it feels like as soon as the beer hits the salivary glands under the tongue, the glands next to molars go haywire.

Whatever it is it hurts like mad then just disappears. When i stop drinking its fine but i can bring on the sensation again right away by pointing the tip of my tongue to the bottom of my mouth where the salivary ducts are.